Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 02:30 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I have tickets to the game tonight but am not a season ticket holder. But I'm thinking about going.
You might benefit from an exchange if you don't need a fix tonight.
But, it IS the Rangers, and two very important points in the standings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 02:32 PM

131 posts, read 144,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyez0624 View Post
Loving the snow. Especially seeing the birds against a white backdrop. Steady snow and sleet in woodcroft s Durham
I have a ton of birds waiting out the storm on my balcony at my feeder.

chickadees and house finches sharing suet, a wren on the railing, juncos pecking at fallen seeds on the ground, and a cardinal bullying everyone when it wants food.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'd still have to get down to the box office. And I already have tickets to some of the exchange-able games.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM

173 posts, read 312,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Can you point out exactly where in NWS RAH AFD it says it will wind down early this afternoon? I'm not seeing it. It's going to be precipitating steadily until at least 10PM tonight, then a lull, the back end snow as the system pulls out.
I assumed they were referring to it winding down in this section here:

Quote:
THE HRRR PICKS UP ON THIS AND HIGHLIGHTS A SFC
PRESSURE FIELD INDICATIVE OF A POSSIBLE GRAVITY WAVE WITH
PRECIPITATION DECREASING BEHIND THIS FEATURE. HAVE ACCORDINGLY
LOWERED SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS AROUND 10 TO 20 PERCENT OR
AROUND AN INCH OR TWO IN MOST LOCATIONS. OF NOTE...THE 07Z HRRR
BRINGS THE BACK EDGE OF THE STEADY PRECIPITATION TO RDU AT 21Z.
LATER SHIFTS WILL NEED TO MONITOR OBSERVATIONAL TRENDS AND ADJUST
FORECAST AS NEEDED. EVEN WITH TOTAL AMOUNTS DOWN A BIT...HAZARDOUS
TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED.
21Z would have been 4pm EST. Although, reading it again after I'm more awake makes it clear that they weren't really stating it was going to end as much as a couple models were showing it.

Doesn't matter now anyway because it clearly is not winding down nor did the steady precip end at 4pm.

Looks like we're in for several more hours of sleet/freezing rain.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:48 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyez0624 View Post
Loving the snow. Especially seeing the birds against a white backdrop. Steady snow and sleet in woodcroft s Durham Attachment 164807
Beautiful! I love Cardinals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
I have a ton of birds waiting out the storm on my balcony at my feeder.

chickadees and house finches sharing suet, a wren on the railing, juncos pecking at fallen seeds on the ground, and a cardinal bullying everyone when it wants food.
That's nice of you to feed suet during the winter.

The bullies at my feeders were always the sparrows and starlings.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:01 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Let me guess... it's a place with plenty of snow plows, lots of rock salt, and the ability to keep the roads clear because they get a ton of snow every year?

When in Rome, man. I drove all winter in Chicago when I lived there... because the roads were clear. I don't think I ever had to drive on a road with as much ice as I currently see on the road in my neighborhood, in fact. Because up there, the plows start running the minute the stuff starts falling. Snow on the road, sure... the powdery stuff is easy to drive in... but, ice? Nah. Was never necessary unless you got caught driving home when a storm started up. Even then, there was usually a snow plow sharing the road with you before you got home.

We don't have that sort of budget here, because it would be wasted money.
I totally agree with this. Ice here is a different animal than most of the precipitation "up North ".

I worked near the shore of Lake Ontario in NY, right in the dreaded lake snow effect area. Life went on during howling winds, 6 foot snow banks on the sides of the road, and snowfalls that lasted for hours straight. I think we had 2 "snow days" over several years, and those were due to dangerous low temperatures.

Plows not only cleared constantly but dropped salt and dirt for traction. I have learned to not even attempt to walk to the mailbox on this icy mess! If you are lucky enough to stay home, just relax and enjoy.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:18 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Let me guess... it's a place with plenty of snow plows, lots of rock salt, and the ability to keep the roads clear because they get a ton of snow every year?

When in Rome, man. I drove all winter in Chicago when I lived there... because the roads were clear. I don't think I ever had to drive on a road with as much ice as I currently see on the road in my neighborhood, in fact. Because up there, the plows start running the minute the stuff starts falling. Snow on the road, sure... the powdery stuff is easy to drive in... but, ice? Nah. Was never necessary unless you got caught driving home when a storm started up. Even then, there was usually a snow plow sharing the road with you before you got home.

We don't have that sort of budget here, because it would be wasted money.
And even in Chitown, a couple of years ago hundreds of drivers were stranded on Lake Shore Drive overnight. Same thing happened on the LIE on Long Island a few years ago.

Snow that falls faster than anticipated, bad timing, and a bunch of people who think they should be out in it usually combine for disastrous results.

PS The Town of Cary has plowed my street twice already!

Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
In areas like Raleigh, where it does not winter precip a lot and where things melt relatively quickly, I almost wish they would opt to not spread the environmentally unfriendly chemicals onto the roads and basically force people to just stay home. If it were not for some emergency situations, I think that would be a much better option. By using all these hazardous chemicals, they are basically creating a situation which makes some people think it is okay to travel to say....maybe a hockey game....thus creating further issues and need to spread more polluting chemicals.

Why people simply do not opt to stay home, when they can, is mind boggling. Traveling during these conditions makes it harder and more expensive for the state, county and towns......and puts property and lives in danger.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well screw it...I'm headed to the game. Be safe everyone.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
I have to drive to the vet tomorrow to pick up medications I didn't think I was going to need, ugh! I think once I get out of my development it'll be ok, but it'll be a little harrowing until that moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary