Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,560,736 times

Advertisements

If they had salted earlier we wouldn't have two inches of ice.

This isn't really an ATV neighborhood - they'll need to call 911.

I don't want to be that former yankee screaming about salt, but it's used on a nearby main road, and that road is wonderfully clear every time.

If they weren't coming through here at all, that would be one thing - but when the truck comes through and barely breathes out sand...not so great/efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 10:23 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Salt on top of ice isn't the answer. Just do a calculation how much salt it would take to unthaw two inches of ice, even if it could be mixed in. Other parts of the country put down cinders or asphalt grinds on top of ice, just to increase the traction, but they still need to wait for the ice to melt by itself or with rain. That's about all you can do. And if your neighbor needs hospitalization, someone can use an ATV to get to her.
I think a bigger danger in storms like these would be the power outages where people need electricity for oxygen or to keep vital medications cold. Granted, in this weather, you can sit those meds on the porch, but there's no substitute for electricity for a person on, say, a breathing machine.

I figure EMS can figure out how to get to most places given that the main roads are clear.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think a bigger danger in storms like these would be the power outages where people need electricity for oxygen or to keep vital medications cold. Granted, in this weather, you can sit those meds on the porch, but there's no substitute for electricity for a person on, say, a breathing machine.

I figure EMS can figure out how to get to most places given that the main roads are clear.
Yeah, they were really worried about that actually - he's on a breathing machine so they would have had to call 911. They had a backup tank but that wouldn't have lasted very long. This is all apart from the road condition issue but fortunately we didn't lose power.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:33 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,980,872 times
That is why people buy generators. You can also get a converter to allow you to run electricity for the tank off of your car battery in an emergency. And just because your neighborhood peeps do not have ATVs, it doesn't mean they can't get to you from somewhere else in an emergency.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,814 times
Finally got through reading what I missed since Thursday! I was without my laptop during the storm so I couldn't get to citydata (I detest using forums on my phone, unless anyone has a good app to suggest, I haven't found one...).

Anyway, the roads near my place in West Raleigh is actually doing, but the plows came through 3-4 times since the beginning of the storm, probably because we're on a route that the nearby fire station uses frequently or something.

My biggest gripe is the same one I have every time we get winter weather - if you decide to drive, PLEASE for Pete's sake clear off your car before you leave!! And this doesn't mean just scraping out a 2ft x 2ft space of your windshield so you can "see". It means clearing the ice/snow off the top too! Nothing worse than driving behind someone shedding ice bergs at 65mph!!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:39 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,326,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

main roads yes but if the side roads are dangerous or unpassable, that puts your first responders in danger.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That is why people buy generators. You can also get a converter to allow you to run electricity for the tank off of your car battery in an emergency. And just because your neighborhood peeps do not have ATVs, it doesn't mean they can't get to you from somewhere else in an emergency.
....or they could just salt the roads.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,222,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
My biggest gripe is the same one I have every time we get winter weather - if you decide to drive, PLEASE for Pete's sake clear off your car before you leave!! And this doesn't mean just scraping out a 2ft x 2ft space of your windshield so you can "see".
I agree. Why people don't remove the ice from the roof of their cars is beyond me. It is so unsafe to drive around just waiting for it to fly off.

Get this. I actually saw a "kid" (looked like he was 17-19) yesterday driving down Falls of Neuse Road with his windshield COMPLETELY covered in ice. You could not see through the windshield AT ALL. He had his head hanging out the side window to see and just drove on down the road. It didn't look like he made even a cursory attempt to remove the ice from his windshield. Just hopped in and went. The stupidity is just mind boggling. I really wish their had been a cop around.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,806,360 times
I wonder why we don't have more private lawn companies working to plow neighborhoods, especially those with HOAs. Most of them had cleared out grocery store parking lots by the time I got there yesterday afternoon. I'm sure folks are hurting for that kind of money, and many communities would gladly pay for it.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,327,203 times
Slipper-in all Weather Tires!
Ice is nice under skates!
But under an auto it leads to mistakes!
Where oh where has the dry clear road surfaces gone?
Wet and shinny in the light,
While slippery and black in the night!
Oh my! Oh Gee! Oh NO!
Chop Chop here
and
Chip Chip there
and
I thought I would see pavers, concrete, asphalt even!
Just more ice.
Drat......
Double Drat, for Saturday and Sunday...
Monday....50 in the offering???
Melt that ice with your warm rays!
For driving is risky enough business without being on Hurricane ice!!!

Happy Monday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary