Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 02:12 PM

221 posts, read 202,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
No way am I driving from Raleigh to Apex to go to Wegmans. It's bad enough driving to Cary for all the new grocery stores.
I don't think he was suggesting that they would put the first (only) store in Apex. In fact he said he hopes they will test the market with the Cary store, the SPREAD around the area, hopefully to Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 PM

173 posts, read 313,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
How long will it take for this store to open?
Used to work for Wegmans in IT on the team that did the new store buildouts. They only build 2-3 stores per year, and they are planned years in advance. If you look at the coming soon section of their website (Future Store Locations*- Wegmans), there are 8 or 9 stores that are still listed as TBD beyond 2017.

My guess would be if the lease is signed this year, we wouldn't see them break ground until 2019 or 2020 at the earliest.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:52 PM

135 posts, read 149,420 times
Congratulations, you are getting a quality grocery store that cannot be beat by Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Kroger or anybody else. While I am getting sick and tired of dealing with them since I came out of the womb 20 years ago because they like to get rid of brand name products, the quality of food at Wegmans is unbelievable.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:40 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
While I have never been in one, I am very excited about this. I love nice grocery markets! One of the only things I miss about Long Island is Fairway! I figure this will be just as good.
I don't think it will be quite like fairway. Wegman's is known for prepared foods, lots of them. While fairway has some of that I do not think Wegman's is known for carrying the Jewish and Italian Deli items that Fairway sells. After all Fairway has a deli counter just for lox and they carry at least 6 varieties that they will hand slice for you!

Old 01-22-2016, 06:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
How long will it take for this store to open?
I grew up next to a Wegmans, they bought the land and spent quite a few years before they even broke ground. Unless they have stepped up the game I would expect a few years before they open.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
I've never understood the big deal over Publix. I've been to a number of them in various parts of Florida, and I get that people like their subs and cakes and customer service ... but otherwise it strikes me as just another grocery store. There's not a whole lot that sets it apart. (boy, I'm gonna get flamed for that!)
You're not going to get flamed by me. I couldn't agree more. When it was first announced that there was going to be a Publix in Cary, I felt like the lone dissenting voice about the announcement. Living in both Raleigh and Miami for the last 14 years, I completely fail to see what the big deal is about Publix. In fact, I found it to be a huge disappointment from my very first visit. I have to think that they are only highly rated nationally because every other grocer in Florida is simply worse.

As for Wegmans, I'm hoping that the first one that they have planned for Raleigh lands closer to the center of the city and not way out past 540.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
We checked out Publix after we heard all the hype. It was nothing special. I'm being nice. It sucked. Maybe we'll check out Wegmans. My local Food Lion is cool with me. We do get meat from Whole Foods however. Every dollar that is not spent at Walmart makes me happy.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:05 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I'm not a huge Publix fan either. We were on vacation in FL a few years ago and there was a Publix nearby and it was great, but everything seems better when you're on vacation I guess. The one in Cary is just a regular grocery store to me, although DH says their BOGO deals are great.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I guess I'm the only one who loves Publix. Been all over the country and nothing compares. Publix doesn't wow you, but they do everything right.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I rarely understand excitement over grocery stores. I try to avoid spending too much time in them.

If these stores make other people happy, I'm all for'em, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary