Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 10:54 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,534,233 times

Advertisements

Food fight gets national attention:

Food fight developing in N.C.'s Triangle | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Ditto!

It's been two years since I have eaten at any restaurant. You don't miss them so much after a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They have two - Rochester, NY and Pottsville, PA.

Wegmans' Retail Service Center in Pottsville, PA Is Now Complete *- Wegmans
Pottsville is near Philly. Philly to Richmond is doable. If they put a 3rd distribution center in Durham they could service Richmond & most NC metros from it. They probably don't have a reason to go beyond NC, unless they intend to go to Florida at some point.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:58 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Pottsville is near Philly. Philly to Richmond is doable. If they put a 3rd distribution center in Durham they could service Richmond & most NC metros from it. They probably don't have a reason to go beyond NC, unless they intend to go to Florida at some point.
Pottsville is actually about 2 hours north of Philly (so near, but not that close). You might be thinking of Pottstown which is closer to Philly. In any case, I have no idea if they'll open a 3rd distribution site. From the article I linked, it appears that the Pottsville distribution center helped shave off hours off their distribution process when their southernmost stores were in Northern Virginia. I would think that a distribution center farther south would make sense if they are expanding into NC. I'm guessing that somewhere in Virginia would make sense.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:52 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Pottsville is actually about 2 hours north of Philly (so near, but not that close). You might be thinking of Pottstown which is closer to Philly. In any case, I have no idea if they'll open a 3rd distribution site. From the article I linked, it appears that the Pottsville distribution center helped shave off hours off their distribution process when their southernmost stores were in Northern Virginia. I would think that a distribution center farther south would make sense if they are expanding into NC. I'm guessing that somewhere in Virginia would make sense.
I was thinking of Pottstown. Still, while a 3rd distribution center in VA would get them to Charlotte, within reason, a distribution center in Durham would allow Asheville & Wilmington as well. Asheville would be close enough to pickup shoppers from Upstate SC.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was thinking of Pottstown. Still, while a 3rd distribution center in VA would get them to Charlotte, within reason, a distribution center in Durham would allow Asheville & Wilmington as well. Asheville would be close enough to pickup shoppers from Upstate SC.
Come on guys, Pottsville, PA, home and birthplace of Yuengling! While the distribution center does have a Pottsville address, it is probably at least 5 miles from the city center. I've driven past it many times going from Durham back to Scranton and the DC is right off of I-81, you can see it from the highway, and right next to a Lowe's DC and across the highway from a Walmart DC.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/82...7afb0c0924c2de

That area has many distribution centers, because of the location and somewhat ease to service the Mid-Atlantic and much of the Northeast megalopolis. If I had to guess, having driven the route, going around the beltway, you probably could get from that Wegmans DC to Durham in 7 and a half hours with the lightness traffic you can think of and having to stop for gas once. Add traffic around B-more/Washington, of course add more time.

I agree that a DC in Virginia or even North Carolina, would make the best sense to help service their slow southern expansion.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:35 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,577,583 times
I wonder how many people who don't currently live in Wegmans' prime territory of the northeastern US, or have some tie to that area have even heard of that store since traditionally it's been a very regional establishment (unlike Wal Mart, Target, even Kroger). I'm sure the number of city data posters/viewers who know about Wegmans/fawn over it is much higher because it tends to have people who are more interested in various retail establishments than the average person.

They do seem to be getting more publicity lately online and elsewhere, and I believe Consumer Reports recently ranked them at or near the very top in customer satisfaction among grocers.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:55 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
They do seem to be getting more publicity lately online and elsewhere, and I believe Consumer Reports recently ranked them at or near the very top in customer satisfaction among grocers.
I think you answered it right there, with Wegmans ranked at or near the top with customer satisfaction and one of the best places to work, consistently over the past decade or more, they get their name out there even if it is just a 5 second blurb on the national nightly news once a year. It's like most regional things, be it In-N-Out Burger, which is finally spreading East from the West Coast, or Shake Shack which is picking and choosing where to open across the US and the world, or you name the regional/selective company that most might only hear about from word of mouth or a news blip or national ranking.

People definitely know about something/someplace even though it might never be available in their area ever. I definitely don't feel Wegmans is trying for World, I mean US domination! They know their company, their product, and their business model, and I don't think they go into a new area hoping they cause some grocery stores to close, if it happens so be it, that's why it is a free market.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:07 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,864,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
They just hit Massachusetts within the past five years I think. I think there's 3 now?
We left in 2005, so that would make sense. Thx.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 AM

610 posts, read 744,414 times
Being from Fort Lauderdale, I had never heard of Wegmans until I came online. They didn't have them in my original hometown of Pittsburgh either while I lived there (admittedly, AGES ago).

I think I was in one in Maryland once; but it was a quick dash in to get something with no time to look around.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,376,337 times
And now Publix is moving into Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary