Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 12:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Could it be that the only Publix in the area is less than a year old, while HT's have been here for a while (and there are many)?

I find some HT's to be really nice, like both on Davis Drive, and some to be crappy, like the one on 55 and Green Level. (the one on 55 in Apex is pretty nice).

I don't have a dog in the race, but comparing one (and only one) brand new, first entry to a new Market, store with a brand that has been a force in the Carolina's for over 30 years (that I am aware of) is not apples to apples.

(I worked at HT in Charlotte in the mid-80's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Could it be that the only Publix in the area is less than a year old, while HT's have been here for a while (and there are many)?

I find some HT's to be really nice, like both on Davis Drive, and some to be crappy, like the one on 55 and Green Level. (the one on 55 in Apex is pretty nice).

I don't have a dog in the race, but comparing one (and only one) brand new, first entry to a new Market, store with a brand that has been a force in the Carolina's for over 30 years (that I am aware of) is not apples to apples.

That's funny. I've recently been in all three of those HTs and find the one on 55 far better than the one at Davis and McCrimmon. It's much newer and the overal decoration style is less country looking IMO. The Stone Creek one is hard to quantify because it's a weird layout and the same decorating as the other Davis one, but they seem to try harder.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I dislike the HT on McCrimmon. It's poorly managed.

I find the one at 55 and Green Level feels older than the others. I'm surprised to see it described as the opposite.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

There are older Publix stores in FL, but I would say they are in better shape than the best HT stores. Age doesn't come into play as much as store design and presentation does. Publix also re-evaluates every store once every 2 years to determine if it needs a re-model done.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
-The Harris Teeter on 55/Green Level opened sometime in the mid 1990s (between 1995 and 1997 would be my best guess). I don't believe the Pharmacy was original to the store since I looked at the site plan for High House crossing and seen space for a Kerr Drug.

-The HT on Davis and McCrimmon would open in the early-mid 2000s (Between 2002 and 2005 would be my best guess).

-Stone Creek wouldn't open until the mid 2000s (2005 or 2006 would be my best guess).

Old 04-29-2016, 04:47 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Oh crap, I was thinking bout the HT on 55 at Parkside Town Commons as good. The one at Green level is not as good. Too many HTs makes me confused!

Old 04-29-2016, 04:51 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on Publix. It certainly doesn't strike me as being that upscale.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Wegmans videos are great too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPr...U_8Hb66jv_Qj1Q

Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on Publix. It certainly doesn't strike me as being that upscale.
No me neither. I find their aisles too narrow. It's just a grocery store.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM

173 posts, read 313,017 times
The only thing high end about HT is their prices. I had sticker shock when I moved down here five years ago when I saw how much more expensive they are compared to Wegmans.

I've also found that HT is always out of something. At first I thought it was store-specific, but Parkside, Cary Park, Davis Drive, and now Holly Springs (we moved recently) all have the same problem.

The only reason I still shop there is because its convenient. They have built out so many stores in this area that there is typically one only 5-10 minutes away from you.

If Publix and Wegmans build out this area with stores in the coming years, HT will be crushed unless they lower their prices. Also, Publix and Wegmans have a lot of brand loyalty, but I don't think that HT has really the same following. I would suspect that most of their customers shop there because it's really the only option unless they want to drive further out.

Personally, I think that HT has built out way too many stores in certain parts of the Triangle (West Cary/Morrisville especially) so it will be interesting to see if they can sustain sales with more Publix and Wegmans stores (or, heck, even more HT stores since they keep building). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kroger ends up re-branding many of the HT stores as Kroger stores and targets the mid-to-lower market.

Last edited by pjb3589; 04-29-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary