Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM

58 posts, read 75,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I don't have a job yet, hence why I wanted to be centrally located to be able to take any job. I would rent first, but month to month and jobs are never secure in my field.

Ehh, I'm not a huge fan of Knightdale or anywhere east of Raleigh. I liked Holly Springs and Apex mostly.

Live in a townhouse now. I hate it. Dogs barking all day and can't play my stereo loud.

Any areas that have bad schools but very low crime for SFHs? I don't need good schools but I don't want to live in a high crime area.

What specifically didn't you like about Knightdale? I find that outsiders have a difficult time separating East Raleigh from Knightdale. Living in Knightdale I rarely drive down New Bern into that section of Raleigh. Everything you need is in Knightdale, or is accessible via 64/264 & 540.

My house is 30 minutes from RTP, ~30 minutes from Wake Forest. I think you might try giving Knightdale a second look. Feel free to PM me with specific questions or concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 12:48 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuteach View Post
What specifically didn't you like about Knightdale? I find that outsiders have a difficult time separating East Raleigh from Knightdale. Living in Knightdale I rarely drive down New Bern into that section of Raleigh. Everything you need is in Knightdale, or is accessible via 64/264 & 540.
I work near Knightdale and the lack of good restaurants makes it an undesirable area for me. Anet's Ketch is a jewel, but there is not much else. When people talk about restaurants, they mention Apex, Cary, North Raleigh, ITB, but never East Raleigh.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:27 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I work near Knightdale and the lack of good restaurants makes it an undesirable area for me. Anet's Ketch is a jewel, but there is not much else. When people talk about restaurants, they mention Apex, Cary, North Raleigh, ITB, but never East Raleigh.
True, you're not going to find restaurants in Garner or Knightdale like you do in Cary/Holly Springs/Apex. But OTOH you get more for your housing dollar in Garner and Knightdale and you're closer to Wake Forest. (And there are plenty of good restaurants in downtown Raleigh.)

Old 02-01-2016, 06:05 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I don't have a job yet, hence why I wanted to be centrally located to be able to take any job. I would rent first, but month to month and jobs are never secure in my field.

Ehh, I'm not a huge fan of Knightdale or anywhere east of Raleigh. I liked Holly Springs and Apex mostly.

Live in a townhouse now. I hate it. Dogs barking all day and can't play my stereo loud.

Any areas that have bad schools but very low crime for SFHs? I don't need good schools but I don't want to live in a high crime area.
Durham has a black eye in the area for having lower level schools than Wake County or Chapel Hill. You might be able to find a SFH in SW Durham for the top of your range.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:35 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Durham has a black eye in the area for having lower level schools than Wake County or Chapel Hill. You might be able to find a SFH in SW Durham for the top of your range.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. SW Durham; nice, safe neighborhoods. Not the best schools but still considered a desirable area. Single family homes in your price range would be older and probably need some updating but if you aren't afraid of a fixer upper that's probably your best bet.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This was going to be my suggestion as well. SW Durham; nice, safe neighborhoods. Not the best schools but still considered a desirable area. Single family homes in your price range would be older and probably need some updating but if you aren't afraid of a fixer upper that's probably your best bet.
^ This is probably your best and most enjoyable option, OP. There are some smaller homes in the area and I would think you could find yourself a great place to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary