Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 05:24 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

Thanks to you all for the suggestions so far. We are building out list of subdivisions to see when we come up. Looking at SW Durham, Hillsborough, and NE Chapel Hill.

Due to the high RE taxes, we have had to downgrade our initial budget from 350K to 400K to 350K to 325K, as taxes take a big bite out of the monthly cash flow.

Looking for a small - will go as small as 1,100 sf - 2-3BR/2BA single family but in the right setting would consider a townhouse if it had a garage and either a small yard or was in a neighborhood with extensive trails. Would prefer a one-story, but know they are not common. Would at least like a house with MBR down - don't know how common that is. Open to a "fixer" as long as it's cosmetic only - floors, wallpaper, kitchen counters, etc.

Looking for a safe neighborhood with a sense of community. Where people are neighborly - i.e., you could borrow a cup of sugar from someone, they'd help out if needed, etc. rather than where people just keep to themselves. If there were some kind of clubhouse with a fitness center/pool and events for the subdivision that would be a huge bonus.

Had looked at Chatham County and Pittsborough, but it is too far from where we want to be, which is 15 min from Duke Univ Hospital and 15 min from the 24ER Vet(s) (either one) in SW Durham (we have unfortunately, had several instances in the last year where time was of the essence in getting to a people and/or pet hospital and 15 min is our max - too stressful otherwise). Also would like easy access (15 min) to grocery, bank, pharmacy, library, etc. And reasonable driving distance (under 1/2 hour) to non-chain restaurants, bookstores (? Barnes and Noble), clothing stores - (Marshalls, Talbots), Home Store (Home Goods), and office supply store, and a Whole Foods.

So far, here is our list, but open to other suggestions. Especially need suggestions for CH and Hillsborough. Looking for a neighborhood with mature trees and at least .17 acre lot that could be fenced for the dog/or extensive paved walking trails. Greatly prefer a neighborhood with sidewalks. And mix of ages (we are empty nesters so would like a place that's not ALL families with kids).

A deal breaker for us is a neighborhood with power lines running through it.

SW Durham -
Woodcroft
Downing Creek
Hope Valley Farms
Fairfield
Falconbridge
Five Oaks
Woodlake

NE Chapel Hill -
North Forest Hills
Northwoods

Hillsborough -
??

Excited to come out and explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Beckett's Ridge, Cornwallis Hills, Waterstone in Hillsborough.

I think you might really like Falconbridge. It's technically in Chapel Hill, but is in Durham County so has lower taxes. It's one of those weird neighborhoods sort of between the two. I used to know folks who lived there and they had a Chapel Hill address. Super fast to get on 40 and go wherever you need to go. Lots of retired folks in the neighborhood, but not a retirement community. There are plenty of families, too. Some of the lots back up to Corps of Engineers land adjacent to Jordan Lake (that waterfowl impoundment?) so there are some hiking/walking in the woods potential, too, depending on where your house is situated if you like that sort of thing. There are several UNC Healthcare clinics super close also. Nantucket Grill is a pretty good restaurant. Not far at all from Southpoint.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 AM

307 posts, read 377,724 times
There is also Auburn. It's the next neighborhood on Woodcroft Pkwy east of Woodlake. They have a mix of homes ranging from $200 up to about $330 I think.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think you might really like Falconbridge. It's technically in Chapel Hill, but is in Durham County so has lower taxes. It's one of those weird neighborhoods sort of between the two. I used to know folks who lived there and they had a Chapel Hill address. Super fast to get on 40 and go wherever you need to go. Lots of retired folks in the neighborhood, but not a retirement community. There are plenty of families, too. Some of the lots back up to Corps of Engineers land adjacent to Jordan Lake (that waterfowl impoundment?) so there are some hiking/walking in the woods potential, too, depending on where your house is situated if you like that sort of thing. There are several UNC Healthcare clinics super close also. Nantucket Grill is a pretty good restaurant. Not far at all from Southpoint.
My retired in-laws bought in Falconbridge 6 yrs ago when they moved down here from Ohio to be closer to my family. It's been a great fit for them. Super convenient to everywhere they like to go, and they are in a one story home - there are a number of them in the neighborhood.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM

On our list for Chapel Hill is:

Ridgefield
Parkside
Springcrest
Colony Wood East
Southern Village (Townhouse)
Governor's Village (Townhouse)
Briar Chapel

The latter two may be too far out, but we still would like to see them, especially Briar Chapel, due to the tax rate.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:15 PM

326 posts, read 384,864 times
The good news is the tax rate in Governor's Village and Briar Chapel is practically the same so that won't be a deciding factor if it comes down to those two. They're both a little far out, but worth checking out. Briar Chapel is the newer of the two and is also the one that's a little closer to town (and there's more slated to be built around Briar Chapel, which isn't true of Governor's Village where I think they've built all they're going to).

Old 01-28-2016, 03:56 AM

Thanks, that's good to know!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:29 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
I live in Fairfield it is nice.

It is close to the ATT and you can head south or north on it

Woodcroft has really nice greenways running around the houses but Fairfield has less hoa and is technically in the county, so no city taxes

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
For Hillsborough, I would suggest Cornwallis Hills for an established neighborhood that I think meets all of your requirements for a smaller single family home. It is quite close to the new UNC hospital Hillsborough campus too. I think Beckett's Ridge is pretty much all 2 story homes, but I could be wrong. They might have some master down plans there though.

For townhomes, you could check out Waterstone. They are also building new townhomes off Orange Grove Rd at Eno Mountain Rd, but I don't know the name of it. They are also building some at Forest Ridge over by the Sportsplex. Churton Grove also has a section with townhomes.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,235 times
Churton Grove (Hillsborough) sounds like exactly what you are looking for. There are trails, sidewalks, lots of mature trees, a clubhouse, neighborhood events, etc. The single family homes are toward the upper end of your budget, however there are also townhomes around 200-250K. The neighborhood is a mix of all ages, and 15 min to Duke. In Becketts Ridge the houses are much closer together. Waterstone is really lovely and new, but there are not many mature trees. Forest Ridge is a little more pricey, as is Corbin Creek Woods... We live in Hillsborough and absolutely love it here! I am also a Realtor here. If I can provide any more info, let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary