Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,597 times

Advertisements

I am needing some information about Direct TV--thinking about subscribing. I know the start up is always less money for 12 months, but they don't tell you what it is after that. I am only interested in the lowest price for my tv, and internet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
I have been advised not to get internet through DirectTV or Dish TV. The TV service is fine, though, don't know about pricing.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We have out internet thru DTV, as they are now part of ATT. They are about 1000 times better than TWC, which we had for 6 months and had nothing but problems with.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 PM

412 posts, read 451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We have out internet thru DTV, as they are now part of ATT. They are about 1000 times better than TWC, which we had for 6 months and had nothing but problems with.
DirecTV was crap before AT&T bought them. It's now probably worse.

They continually raise your rates. Strong T-storms knock out the signal. The video stream is compressed, compared to over the air HDTV, so the picture is not as good as it could be.

When you try to leave, they will do everything they can to retain you and make leaving as difficult as possible for you. Hint: Tell them you are being transferred to Saudi Arabia or someplace else they can't provide service.

Some of their installers don't know a screwdriver from a screwed driver. Watch the installer like a hawk.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I agree with Twingles - Direct TV is great forvTV. They provide great programing, decent to good customer service and acceptable (not cheap) pricing.

BUT the OP said " I am only interested in the lowest price for my tv, and internet." That probably is notDirect TV, I'm guessing it's over the air (OTA) antenna to get free local channels, then an added streaming service. And internet. For internetm we're quite happy with TWC, But we have few choices (really, no choices).

All I can add is that is if you need a landline, get Ooma. It's the cheapest and great.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:11 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
DirecTV was crap before AT&T bought them. It's now probably worse.

They continually raise your rates. Strong T-storms knock out the signal. The video stream is compressed, compared to over the air HDTV, so the picture is not as good as it could be.

When you try to leave, they will do everything they can to retain you and make leaving as difficult as possible for you. Hint: Tell them you are being transferred to Saudi Arabia or someplace else they can't provide service.

Some of their installers don't know a screwdriver from a screwed driver. Watch the installer like a hawk.
We've come and gone with DTV. Had them when we moved here, then dropped them, (and yup, told them we were moving), went thru all the other contenders and are now back. Picture? Everyone must have better eyes than me, I see no difference. We have an OTA antenna as well. The picture is good enough for me, but I grew up with the one t.v. that the family shared in a wooden cabinet so I'm not so choosy.

The installers we've had have been great - it's the salesmen that are the problem.

We've also not lost the signal this time around no matter the weather.

Continually raised rates? Gee whiz, no other company does that. i'm shocked.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
I am happy with my DirecTV service. It isnt cheap, but is fairly priced, especially since TWC now forces you to rent a box for each TV too. They have content my family prefers to watch which prevents me from cutting the cord or moving back to TWC. I am happier with my DirecTV picture than the TWC picture I had. OTA is acceptable, but in my location had to move the antenna when I changed local channels.

Be sure to search the internet for the maximum sign-on bonus, also be sure to try to stack that deal with a referral so you get the lowest price. If you are an out of town NFL fan, then you are kind of stuck going with them. Also as long as you play the threaten to cancel game when the rates go up, you will receive discounts in future years.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:26 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I am happy with my DirecTV service. It isnt cheap, but is fairly priced, especially since TWC now forces you to rent a box for each TV too. They have content my family prefers to watch which prevents me from cutting the cord or moving back to TWC. I am happier with my DirecTV picture than the TWC picture I had. OTA is acceptable, but in my location had to move the antenna when I changed local channels.

Be sure to search the internet for the maximum sign-on bonus, also be sure to try to stack that deal with a referral so you get the lowest price. If you are an out of town NFL fan, then you are kind of stuck going with them. Also as long as you play the threaten to cancel game when the rates go up, you will receive discounts in future years.
Good advice - but I think the best sign on deal is with Costco (non combinable with referrals to friends. )

Old 01-31-2016, 06:49 AM

71 posts, read 99,256 times
Whoever said they compressed their channels, all providers do this including Twc.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:20 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Did you compare with dish network? I've had both services before. Dish network will frequently give you promotional rates even after the 1 year. Also, their installers and phone customer service are very good these days. Maybe 5-10 years ago, dish customer service was very bad and now they are really trying to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary