Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo92 View Post
decent slow cooked brisket with the option for tomato based sauce with some heat. We went to the Pit in downtown Raleigh this weekend and the brisket probably would have decent except for the two God awful sauce combinations (vinegar or sugar).
Western NC (over to about Lexington) is tomato based. Eastern NC is vinegar based. Do a net search on "BBQ Song" for a humorous look at the various types in the SouthEast.

Big Green Eggs and their clones such as Kamado Joe are increasing in popularity. While the title indicates a focus on pork, you will probably be able to find some brisket at the upcoming Butt Blast.
NC Butt Blast 2016 - Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo92 View Post
That being said, I am surprised at the vehemence of holding on to North Carolina culture in what is - by first blush - an area populated by large quantities of immigrants domestic and international. For example, I would have no problem finding South Indian cuisine in RDU, were that my preference, and Texas is a lot closer than South India.
I think the first 1/2 of this statement is actually explained by the second 1/2. We have a lot of transplants from all over, many of whom decry our area for not having X, Y or Z of what they used to have where ever back home is. So the vehemence you're seeing is part of the long-standing local experience of hearing this at length. It's not you (or folks from Texas) in particular, just a general feeling that no, this isn't where ever you came from, no, we don't have all the same things you had there but we DO have some great things even if they might be a little different.

You just kinda stepped into one of the big hot button issues (BBQ) that gets the most candid response. Like a previous poster said, try talking about bagels, pizza or grocery store chains and that'd get you to the same discussion.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM

5,343 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It's a different owner, and not exactly the same menu. The Durham location is the original, but the business partners split up years ago. Dan is the behind the original location, and he's the Texas native.
Did not know that. Maybe I will have to try the Durham location! Like someone said earlier up in the thread...NC, TX...BBQ is all good to me!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I think the first 1/2 of this statement is actually explained by the second 1/2. We have a lot of transplants from all over, many of whom decry our area for not having X, Y or Z of what they used to have where ever back home is. So the vehemence you're seeing is part of the long-standing local experience of hearing this at length. It's not you (or folks from Texas) in particular, just a general feeling that no, this isn't where ever you came from, no, we don't have all the same things you had there but we DO have some great things even if they might be a little different.

You just kinda stepped into one of the big hot button issues (BBQ) that gets the most candid response. Like a previous poster said, try talking about bagels, pizza or grocery store chains and that'd get you to the same discussion.
if we had a regional style of curry one could expect resistance to serving south indian style curried dishes for example.

but in the case of indian food, it's entering a vacuum.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:11 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It's a different owner, and not exactly the same menu. The Durham location is the original, but the business partners split up years ago. Dan is the behind the original location, and he's the Texas native.
No comparison. I live in North Hills, but I go to Durham for Q-Shack. North Hills location started out good, but tailed off soon afterwards.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:31 PM

259 posts, read 243,196 times
For Mexican food,
-In Raleigh -> Taqueria El Toro
-In Durham-> Taqueria La Vaquita

I'm not sure what defines Northern Mexican food, but these two are awesome.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:53 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
My house. But we're a Kansas City barbecue house--tomato/molasses sauce with a bit of heat. I usually have quite a few people over when I make my pork ribs who are familiar with KC barbecue, who say mine are the "best". Although I have heard that the "best" barbecue is the barbecue that is on the plate, in front of you right now.

I've been here 3 years after relocating from KC, and I've still not quite assimilated to the barbecue here. . . yet. Though I'm "working" on it. . . .

Hang in there. There are worse dilemmas than barbecue, such as pizza, doughnuts, philly cheesesteak sandwiches, subs, Italian food. All of which you will see fiercely debated on this board. . . and to which, no consensus has yet to be reached. Welcome!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post

I think this sounds very logical, but there is another side which I wonder of people think about much. If this was just Podunk USA, I think people might just follow the when in Rome deal.....however, this area has a TON of people from other areas of the country and the world. When people move to places like this, there is often an expectation that some of the other relocatees may bring with them some of their culinary delights. I think that is why many people are surprised to find out how limited the options are for diverse Q.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
NC BBQ, Eastern NC style is really simple cooking. The sauce is water, vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes, and cooking the pork butt is very easy.

Texas BBQ (beef brisket) requires rubs, slow smoking/cooking at 150+ for 12 hours and the sauce is basically the secret ingredient. I like the sauce from Bo's in Angleton far better than the sauce from Sonny Byrans in Dallas.

Not many restaurants in NC have commercial smokers as they do as you go West of NC, however never met a native North Carolinian who did not really enjoy Texas BBQ.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:00 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I think this sounds very logical, but there is another side which I wonder of people think about much. If this was just Podunk USA, I think people might just follow the when in Rome deal.....however, this area has a TON of people from other areas of the country and the world. When people move to places like this, there is often an expectation that some of the other relocatees may bring with them some of their culinary delights. I think that is why many people are surprised to find out how limited the options are for diverse Q.
Fair point, but as I think hey_guy pointed out, with BBQ it's a little different because here we have a deep (and delicious) history with this particular item (BBQ) as well as some fairly entrenched views about what's the "right" kind of BBQ.

With bagels, pizza and the like, which have a deeper history elsewhere it's more of a "I can't get good X" here and with BBQ it's "I can't get my preferred kind of X here and don't like the kind you have". Similar but different debates, though I think they have the same root causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary