Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times

Advertisements

We do not have as many snow plows as up north. We never will. Snow plows don't work well with ice. The sun will come out tomorrow (or even later today) and temperature will get above freezing soon.

Had a co-worker who moved here from NY state about 20 years ago and doesn't believe this area is 'the south' or some other nonsense. I guess he was looking for antebellum homes and hoop skirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Livermush is def western nc and disgusting

I rarely see calabash seafood mentioned...

Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
I think it's great what outsiders have brought to the area. Otherwise Raleigh would just be like a bigger version of Wilson.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think it's great what outsiders have brought to the area.
You're right! We could all be eating maze and venison instead of good things like hot dogs and tiramisu.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think it's great what outsiders have brought to the area. Otherwise Raleigh would just be like a bigger version of Wilson.
I don't think Raleigh has done a very good job repping it's history and identity and people come here looking for a 'Southern' experience (whatever that means) it really feels more like anywhere USA. I would honestly say we're less a southern city and more a place in the south with people. I think some of the more antebellum cities do a much better job (savannah, charleston -- pop to mind)

And it doesn't have to be about civil war but just having a continuity of identity and letting people engage with it and create something new and modern with it. Kinda like how modern yet southern something like Garden and Gun magazine is

Garden and Gun Magazine | Garden and Gun

But i agree generally fresh ideas is always good

Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
What I don't get are those hot dogs with the flaming red artificial food coloring. Are they even safe to eat?

Another thing I refuse to eat is liver pudding. I am not a fan of pimento cheese, white bread, grits and Calabash seafood.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I love Garden and Gun.

Also vinegar anything.

Livermush, pimento cheese, no! Pimentos in olives, yes! :-D

Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM

I'll make one last comment about the confederacy.

The pictures in that wish i was in dixie video i think nail the mentality of identifying with the confederacy.

1. glorifying generals who fought with tact and honor
2. Men marching gloriously into battle
3. Shots of the different landscapes -- swamps, snow, cypress
4. Christian and flags for the unity of the region waving tall and proud
5. Men looking ragged but clearly together in brotherhood and camaraderie

6. notice CRITICALLY at the end both sides are together and the confederate flag is being respectfully folded up and only the american flag is standing

We don't need to argue the reality of those points, i have heard whatever you may say. Just that this is the mentality.

People outside the south will bring up flag of traitors on a Monday and the call these people 'rednecks' and 'dumb patriotic Americans' on a Tuesday and I admit it is a little schizoid but there really is a seamless feeling for some to identify with the regional pride but also american pride.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I moved here from PA Amish Country.
They do stuff with pig that would put a mountaineer to shame as a wastrel, and sell it proudly in restaurants.
"Everything But The Squeal" blue plate special.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
Lol, it was actually about all of the complaining from parents about how school makeup days are on Saturdays. Every one of these parents knows that's part of the year round schedule. All I heard and read (not on this board) was "well, why can't Wake Co build in snow days like where we came from."
Is it really that annoying?

It will take new transplants a few years to get used to things that are different. After that, things they complained about will be second nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary