Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 PM

547 posts, read 774,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinNY View Post
thanks for this, it was going to be my next question

will they (or can they by law) hire an out of state teacher without an NC license? Do you have any idea how long it takes to get certified in the state and if any testing is required?
My wife was hired without her license on hand (took FOREVER) but you have to be in the process of applying for licensure. Each state has different requirement for getting your license.

as for health insurance, I think they want to do away with the 80/20 but not the 70/30 so should still be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
thanks for this, it was going to be my next question

will they (or can they by law) hire an out of state teacher without an NC license? Do you have any idea how long it takes to get certified in the state and if any testing is required?
They hired my wife with her GA credentials. The application packet is going to include experience verification and all that, so it might be a good idea for your wife to start getting all her ducks in the row.

As long as your wife's Praxis test scores meet or exceed the requirements set forth by NC (and I believe NY has higher requirements than NC does, or at least they used to back in the day), there's no extra testing required. As far as how long the license takes? Well, we're still waiting on my wife's to come through, and she sent them the materials in August.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:33 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I think you mean "2 months unemployed and unpaid" and "a retirement system to pay into."
These days, don't you pay into almost all retirement systems?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
So yea, from what Ive heard its not the best environment for teachers, nor is the pay particularly great, but one might think that would create a shortage of teachers...Is that not the case?
That is true, but do you really want to move into a job where the reason it's vacant is that people got so fed up, they left? There are MANY better states to teach in than NC--lots of NC teachers are moving there, in fact. If you aren't dead-set on NC, you might as well skip the step and go to where the rest of the teachers are moving to (Houston, TX had a big job fair here and took a bunch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else
The MS degree might help as schools keep records on how many teachers in their school have advanced degrees. At one point the NC legislature was dropping extra pay for a Master's, but I believe that was reinstated. Perhaps someone can verify that.
I'm almost certain they did NOT--Masters degrees get you no boost in pay.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:12 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That is true, but do you really want to move into a job where the reason it's vacant is that people got so fed up, they left? There are MANY better states to teach in than NC--lots of NC teachers are moving there, in fact. If you aren't dead-set on NC, you might as well skip the step and go to where the rest of the teachers are moving to (Houston, TX had a big job fair here and took a bunch)

I heard that just today from a WCPSS teacher.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:27 PM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

If memory serves, my wife got paid an extra $1500 per year for having her Masters. She left 5 years ago as she was fed up with the system, not the kids. We have lots of teachers as friends and acquaintances and almost everyone is looking to leave or struggling to hang on long enough for retirement, if they are close enough. Sadly, I don't know many satisfied teachers.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
So yea, from what Ive heard its not the best environment for teachers, nor is the pay particularly great, but one might think that would create a shortage of teachers...Is that not the case?
if it was as bad as some folks portray, then certainly there would be a shortage, and at least openings for your wife to pass judgement on. Yet you don't hear that, in wholesale fashion. What does that tell you about the portrayal?

Your wife's an elementary school teacher. How hard can the students be?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if it was as bad as some folks portray, then certainly there would be a shortage, and at least openings for your wife to pass judgement on. Yet you don't hear that, in wholesale fashion. What does that tell you about the portrayal?

Your wife's an elementary school teacher. How hard can the students be?
I don't think most elementary teachers leave due to the students.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 PM

at this time, the state of NC does not pay the teachers that 10K stipend/bonus they were getting for graduate degrees.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
I don't think most elementary teachers leave due to the students.
the "bad working conditions" is pretty much either trouble-making students or overbearing administrators. Or adminsitrators that won't do anything about trouble-making students.

As a keen observer for 9 years in a top elementary school (and 1 in a poorly-considered one), the kids are awesome until at least the 5th grade. Based on what I hear of middle school there's a significant "I don't care" faction of students there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary