Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 AM

48 posts, read 101,884 times

Advertisements

Oh, one other thing...there are lots of Bella Casa families at Thales...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,807,365 times
I wish we had held my daughter back. July 4th birthday. We ended up choosing to have her repeat 2nd grade, which required us to meet with all of her teachers and the principal. Schools do not like to keep kids back once they start. Admittedly, my daughter has ADHD, but that really didn't present itself until after she had started school.
The other thing that I would encourage you to NOT do is to impart your expectations based on geography or your own childhood onto your children. Kids only know what they are told-if you react to what is going to be a big change for your entire family with any indication that you wish they could have your childhood and not their own, you are setting yourself up to fail.
If they are going to attend year-round schools, don't regale them with stories of your wonderful summers off as a kid. Tell them how lucky they are that their school is open all year! Give your kids a chance to be happy about what is happening to them!
You are moving to a great place to raise kids, and you are making a brave and good decision by relocating. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 AM

767 posts, read 1,845,335 times
Same thing happened to my kids...they missed the cutoff by two weeks, but that was back when it was in October. The only issue for us was that they had to repeat the 4s program in preschool, but the teachers were very good and added to their program so that they were even more ready for K. My son started school reading well...my daughter not far behind (I have twins). I wouldn't sweat it...it can have advantages. They are in AIG now. Enjoy that time before real school starts...its precious

Last edited by twoisbetter; 02-04-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 AM

115 posts, read 135,152 times
Wait the extra year.

You don't want your daughter being 1-2 years younger than her class. You could have your 4 year old daughter in a class with 6 year olds. Some folks wait the extra year and their kid turns 6 during K (usually boys).

Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
Wow, so I guess someone at Thales Academy passed the word around.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,717,181 times
OP, I'm just chiming in to remark that your daughter and my son have the same birthday and that I'll be facing the same hurdles with him come 2018.

I have friends who went through the same process with their daughter last year. The schools let her in and she's been thriving.

Ultimately, it depends on the child and where they are.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,039,852 times
I was also going to suggest Thales, if you're hell-bent on getting her started this year. There's one in Wake Forest as well. Although a private institution, their tuition is quite reasonable.

But...like most of the other -posters here, I'd suggest you just try to wrap your mind around the situation, different as it is from your expectations. Your situation is not at all unique; there are many, many, transplants from the New York area here with children whose birthday falls between the August 31 NC date and the December NY date.

I have seen children who started in NY and moved here in K or 1st grade; they are the youngest in their class here, and many end up repeating a grade, as NC's expectations are geared toward older children. Not just the academics, but also the behavior.

My oldest daughter's birthday put her as one of the older kids in the class, and she's very bright as well, so it seemed a double advantage. She still enjoyed kindergarten here, though. They did a pretty good job at differentiating instruction, especially in English Language Arts, so she wasn't bored even though she was far beyond a typical K curriculum. She eventually got into the AIG program and participated in SSA (single subject acceleration) which helped as well.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 AM

342 posts, read 386,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Another thing you should consider is that many people red shirt their kindergarteners, especially boys here. So not only would your daughter be on the young side if you insist on sending her she could be much younger than some of her classmates.
This. My son is a mid June baby and started K when the cutoff was Oct 16, but he is one of the youngest boys in his class every year. Most people with kids close to the cutoff redshirt their kids here.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM

65 posts, read 105,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Has anyone in the thread mentioned tracks yet? Does Bella Casa go to Olive Chapel Elementary? If so, know that school starts in July (when in July depends on which track you get) and your daughter will have missed the easier beginning part of kindergarten, when they ease them into it.
I think this is a very good point. Depending on your school assignment, you could be starting earlier, even before your home is scheduled to be completed.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,984,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Another thing you should consider is that many people red shirt their kindergarteners, especially boys here. So not only would your daughter be on the young side if you insist on sending her she could be much younger than some of her classmates.

I was thinking this. She may fit in fine now but at some point she will be 12 years old in a class with 13 and 14 year old boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary