Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 PM

31 posts, read 31,190 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are relocating to the Triangle area and are having a really hard time finding a home with a basement, which is something we really want/need. We also want a fairly large house (3000+ sf) and a newer or updated house. We had no idea a basement was so hard to find in this area. The area of Treyburn seems to have some houses which have everything we want, except location. What can anyone tell us about this area?
What amenities are available, what is the commute like to RTP, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
Treyburn near Greensboro? If so, nice golf course but that's one heck of a commute.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM

514 posts, read 602,114 times
Maybe Private Golf Country Club & Wedding Venue in Durham NC at Treyburn CC | A McConnell Golf Property ?

Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
Ha. Oops. Yep that's it.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloki View Post
Hi, we are relocating to the Triangle area and are having a really hard time finding a home with a basement, which is something we really want/need.
you want, or you NEED. Think about these things - what you really need, for whatever reason - is what matters.

Quote:
We also want a fairly large house (3000+ sf) and a newer or updated house.
again, want, or need? At what year is it newer? How do you define updated? What makes 3,000 sqft the cutoff point? Is that all-inclusive - your above grade and below grade together?

Quote:
The area of Treyburn seems to have some houses which have everything we want, except location. what is the commute like to RTP, etc. Thanks.
so, it seems what you need is a reasonable commute to RTP. And a 3,000 sqft total house. And new or newer. And a basement.

But what is the budget figure you've been pre-approved for? That's kind of a big point.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 PM

We, of course, won't die without a basement, but we really want one to deal with pets/storage and a living space separate from upstairs. And a place for an elderly parent or adult child to stay for extended periods of time. We really don't want to pay more than $400,000, but could go higher if we had to. And we have looked at several homes with the third floor bonus room and we don't like it at all. The house we live in now was built in 1948, so newer to us is 90s and newer, probably. But an older home that has been updated would be ok, too. Oh, and the 3000 sf can include the basement if it is finished.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM

Let me point out that I am trying to get information on an area kind of out of town because it seem to be an area in which we can get a basement.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:08 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Let me point out that I am trying to get information on an area kind of out of town because it seem to be an area in which we can get a basement.
Treyburn is nice, but you could broaden your search. Zillow will allow you to search on a finished basement if you enter the terms in the keywords section. For example, I found three matching your parameters in northwest Raleigh: Finished Basement - Northwest Raleigh Raleigh Real Estate - 3 Homes For Sale | Zillow

The house above on Clover Creek Court is very close to RTP. The one on Isabella Cannon Drive has what you want in a basement, including an outside entrance.

Generally, the further west you go, the more hilly the terrain (allowing for a basement). I have seen several in Chatham County also.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 AM

Thank you, goldenage1. I had seen one of those homes and was considering going to look at it when I it noticed it was really, really close to the airport. The second one is contingent and the Isabella Cannon Dr. home says it is a townhouse, which we are not interested in. Thank you for your effort. I will try searching with Zillow more often. I usually use Realtor.com, which no longer allows much in the way of searching a home by features. It is also good information to have regarding the further west you go, the more likely you are to get a basement. Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Thank you for your effort. I will try searching with Zillow more often. I usually use Realtor.com, which no longer allows much in the way of searching a home by features. It is also good information to have regarding the further west you go, the more likely you are to get a basement.
Yes, I have noticed that Realtor.com has disabled many of their useful search features. I tend to use both Zillow and Redfin.com more often.

You haven't mentioned kids, but I think you should be aware of school ratings. Treyburn is in Durham County's Northern High School district, and it is not very good. Redfin would allow you to search by a school zone, also. Generally, Wake County schools are better than the surrounding countys'.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary