Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
The horse is out of the barn. Back in the late 70s or early 80s when growth was explosive, somebody should have had enough guts to combine Cary + Morrisville and Apex + Holly Springs, but never happened. "Cary" should never have been allowed to annex all the way over to the other side of 1010 near West Lake Road.... that part of the county just ain't Cary..., it's Fuquay Varina or Holly Springs. At least it's not as bad as up north.... up there they have villages and townships which overlap each other, and then they have the county government to deal with -- what a mess that is.
Even back then, the law wouldn't allow it really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:01 AM

141 posts, read 163,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
What is the reason for all this annexing anyway? If you look at the history, there's no way Cary and Morrisville would be one. Our family that used to live in Hedgewood Court in west Cary (off Cary Glen Blvd and Green Level Church Road) -they moved in 2001 and their mailing address used to be Morrisville. After several years it changed to Cary, NC.
There was no "annexing" of Morrisville by Cary. The reason for the change in mailing address was the creation of the 27519 zip code. Before 2002, Cary west of Davis Drive used to be a combination of 27560, a Morrisville Zip code, and 27502, an Apex zip code. Since the 27513 zip code, a.k.a. the zip code used east of Davis Drive, could cover only only so much land in west Cary for whatever reason, they used Morrisville and Apex zip codes instead until they could facilitate the creation of the 27519 zip code.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:07 AM

141 posts, read 163,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
It may be a news flash to some, but not everyone wants to live in Cary!
Yeah, but Morrisville should be the last place to consider living if you want to avoid Cary. The two towns look and feel so similar they might as well be the same town.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
There was no "annexing" of Morrisville by Cary. The reason for the change in mailing address was the creation of the 27519 zip code. Before 2002, Cary west of Davis Drive used to be a combination of 27560, a Morrisville Zip code, and 27502, an Apex zip code. Since the 27513 zip code, a.k.a. the zip code used east of Davis Drive, could cover only only so much land in west Cary for whatever reason, they used Morrisville and Apex zip codes instead until they could facilitate the creation of the 27519 zip code.
That explains why the original paperwork for my house says it's in Apex, NC! Thanks for the interesting tidbit.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
The 27502 section of what is now "West Cary 27519" was actually called Green Level; which was sort of considered a rural "back yard" of Apex.

Before they built Green Hope High School most of that swath of land was assigned to Apex High School. Even several years after they built Green Hope in the late 90s; Green Level kids went to Apex High when I was there from 2003-2007. there were a lot of them who's parents had sold off HUGE parcels of land to developers that had been in their families for generations and thus were suddenly "rednecks with money" (term of endearment that they used themselves). The AHS student parking lot when I was there had more than raised custom-built 4x4's with hemis.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I just want Morrisville to show fireworks on July 4, not the danged day before. If it being swallowed up by Cary would facilitate that....but no, I'd be stuck with trying to find parking in downtown Cary which means forget it.

"We've always done it that way," I was told, when I asked why. I was polite and didn't ask them if they had driven a horse to work that morning.

(I live right on the border between the two towns. Morrisville is across the street from me. I honestly see no reason for either town to annex the other).
The rest of this answer, after "We've always done it this way" is likely the same reason Fuquay has always done it's fireworks (which has moved to downtown Raleigh in recent years, to varying degrees of success) on the 3rd too. This is because 'back in the day' the big draw for most people was the Raleigh 4th of July fireworks at the fairgrounds, which are held on the 4th itself. Back then, given the choice between staying in their hometown for fireworks and going to see the 'big one' in Raleigh, most people would go to Raleigh so to be able to have their own celebration with any sort of attendance the smaller towns often opted to do theirs a day early.

Dunno why this is such a big issue...if you want to see fireworks on the 4th, go to Raleigh or one of the other cities that does them day-of and skip the town celebration on the 3rd...

Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
1913 - Winston + Salem = Winston-Salem
1963 - Fuquay Springs + Varina = Fuquay-Varina
20?? - Cary + Morrisville = Cary-Morrisville? Morrisville-Cary?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Yeah, but Morrisville should be the last place to consider living if you want to avoid Cary. The two towns look and feel so similar they might as well be the same town.
I disagree. I live in Cary and Morrisville is much newer, so the houses are all 3k sf houses on a postage stamp lot, where you can open your bedroom window and touch your neighbor's house. Not even close to my experience in Cary, but granted, that may be because I live in an older n'hood. In general, Cary was mostly built up before M'ville, so the feel is different, just due to "era" differences. Same with Apex and HS.

But if we're going to annex something, it seems to me we should Annex a township out of NJ. We could get some decent pizza (finally), have some real traffic to complain about, and solve a few other long-festering quasi-crisis' while we're at it....

Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
I dread the day the Morrisville-Cary greenways actually connect. Hunch: Folks will be walking on the wrong sides of the greenways and their earbuds will prevent them from hearing/understanding warnings from approaching bicyclists, etc.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
The rest of this answer, after "We've always done it this way" is likely the same reason Fuquay has always done it's fireworks (which has moved to downtown Raleigh in recent years, to varying degrees of success) on the 3rd too. This is because 'back in the day' the big draw for most people was the Raleigh 4th of July fireworks at the fairgrounds, which are held on the 4th itself. Back then, given the choice between staying in their hometown for fireworks and going to see the 'big one' in Raleigh, most people would go to Raleigh so to be able to have their own celebration with any sort of attendance the smaller towns often opted to do theirs a day early.

Dunno why this is such a big issue...if you want to see fireworks on the 4th, go to Raleigh or one of the other cities that does them day-of and skip the town celebration on the 3rd...
The reason many smaller towns do fireworks on the 3rd is because it's way less expensive. Way less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary