Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:26 PM

527 posts, read 686,747 times

Advertisements

I am almost embarrassed to answer this question because it totally seems like everyone says they want to write a book, right?

But I've been fitness blogging for a few years and I'm looking to write a book about health/fitness/weight loss specifically aimed at black women. (A little background if you're like "why specifically for black women". About 75% of us are overweight due to a number of factors. As a result, we suffer disproportionately from hypertension, high blood pressure, and more aggressive forms of cancer). My goal in this is to provide a resource for black women (and really all of our sisters, white, mexican, mulitracial) to take control of their health despite cultural norms - issues with our hair, issues with exercise not being a huge part of the culture, and nutrition norms.

Ok, all that said, my question is - how do I start? I have poked around online looking for representation or a literary agent to meet with, and sent an email, and know that an outline is generally the way to go for nonfiction, but wondering if anyone has more info on this process. My ultimate vision would be to write this, and write a few spinoffs - guide to a healthy pregnancy, guide to motherhood etc etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 02:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
pm'ed you.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:09 PM

150 posts, read 233,506 times
Full disclosure: I make my living as a developmental editor and ghostwriter, and my initial advice would be to get at least a draft of a manuscript together, get some critique on it, expand the draft, then revise.

*Then* start looking for representation IF traditional publishing is the route you want to take.

It sounds like you may already have a skeleton in place with your blog posts, so think about organizing them in some logical way, finding a theme for the whole thing, then tying the posts together.

Agents and editors don't really work with ideas and outlines; they need a full manuscript, especially from a new writer. Pros can sell work on proposals, but honestly, you probably can't.

If you PM me, I'd be happy to offer you some resources that might help you with your plan.

Good luck with your writing!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:00 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Ok, all that said, my question is - how do I start?
Clark has a guide for self-publishing, if that is an option
Self Publishing Guide | Clark Howard

Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
Full disclosure: I make my living as a developmental editor and ghostwriter, and my initial advice would be to get at least a draft of a manuscript together, get some critique on it, expand the draft, then revise.

*Then* start looking for representation IF traditional publishing is the route you want to take.

It sounds like you may already have a skeleton in place with your blog posts, so think about organizing them in some logical way, finding a theme for the whole thing, then tying the posts together.

Agents and editors don't really work with ideas and outlines; they need a full manuscript, especially from a new writer. Pros can sell work on proposals, but honestly, you probably can't.

If you PM me, I'd be happy to offer you some resources that might help you with your plan.

Good luck with your writing!
Very interesting. A lot of the internet reading I've done (Dr. Google strikes again) indicated that an outline was what was needed, so that's interesting - full manuscript is what's needed. I would like to publish traditionally, so this is all good info! I may pick your brain for more info!

Old 02-07-2016, 06:25 AM

142 posts, read 283,838 times
I've written a few books myself and have self-published them. I've been wanting to get properly published but I have no idea how. They're fiction and are family drama/supernatural genre. In fact, here they are: http://www.thelanternlight.com/books.html

Is there any advice anyone could give me? I find the process of finding an agent and a publisher extremely intimidating and daunting.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:42 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
I'm the VP of the Triangle Association of Freelancers, a local nonprofit writers' group. We started out as a non-fiction group, but are embracing fiction as well now since so many of our members are in that camp. Many of them have been published in both the traditional and self-publishing avenues, while others are still working toward publication. Our goal is to be a resource for writers of all stripes, but especially those who are just setting out and are unsure how to proceed. We meet once a month at the Red Hot & Blue on Falls of Neuse in North Raleigh. To learn more, go to Triangle Association of Freelancers Main Page. Our annual writers' conference is coming up in April, and we have a strong lineup in both the fiction and nonfiction tracks. Hope you can make it.

Write Now!

Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
As Mark suggests, finding a group to support you and share information is a great idea. Here are a list of a lot of other literary resources in the Triangle and statewide. Literary Groups/Resources « Triangle ArtWorks

Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM

These are great resources - great places to start! A little overwhelming, but I'm so sick of saying "one day I will..."

Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 PM

150 posts, read 233,506 times
I'm also a member of Triangle Area Freelancers, and I think they are one of the most positive, supportive, energizing group of writers I've ever hung out with. I leave each meeting inspired and bubbling with ideas for articles, stories, and pitches.

New members welcome! Please come to our next meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: