Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM

64 posts, read 376,267 times

Advertisements

Part 1: Has anyone gone fishing for the day at the coast (surfcasting) and found good spots without a 3 hour drive? Ocean side or in the sounds is fine. I would like to drive from Raleigh, fish for the day, and drive home that evening. OBX would be too far. How about Atlantic Beach, Wilmington or the Sounds? Do the fish come far into the sounds like New Bern or Washington? Any advice for someone eager to test the waters?
Part 2: Any good tackle shops in the areas you recommend? They usually are good at giving tips on where the fish can be caught, and the lure or bait to use.
Part 3: Any recommended Salt Water charter boats within a 3 hour drive from Raleigh where a group of people could go for a fun 1/2 day and be back home in the evening? A full day charter, for some of my coworkers, may be a bit much.
Thanks in advance. Answer any part that you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
My husband's company took them on a charter out of Swansboro a while back. I think it was only 1/2 day, but they still overnighted there. He brought back a decent amount of fish. I do also recall that at the time my dad (who has a boat) said he wouldn't negotiate those waters without a really good chart or someone who knew them. FYI if you go out of that area.

Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston is very well regarded and close enough that you could drive there for an afternoon and pick their brains. I notice they also have a message board on their web site with recent fishing reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary