Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:39 PM

111 posts, read 88,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
you guys are a little ridic slamming the open office i assume you just need privacy for CD browsing
I detect someone with zero software engineering experience opining about what a software engineer needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:49 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelru View Post
I detect someone with zero software engineering experience opining about what a software engineer needs.
LMAO ok buddy lets just say no

what do you 'need' a sensory deprivation tank?

besides why do you think co-working concepts are successful.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
LMAO ok buddy lets just say no

what do you 'need' a sensory deprivation tank?

besides why do you think co-working concepts are successful.
Open offices are failing left and right. Research it. The kiddies have a built-in aversion to "email culture" because they learned to write and feel clever about it using messengers with auto correct, and thus can't be bothered to learn to use the shift key.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Open offices are failing left and right. Research it. The kiddies have a built-in aversion to "email culture" because they learned to write and feel clever about it using messengers with auto correct, and thus can't be bothered to learn to use the shift key.
Did you know there was also 'research' out there Obama is a reptile?

Looks cubes are bigger and more private than open, you realize people were saying the same crap about moving from offices to cubes.

In the future we're just going to all share a keyboard

Old 02-10-2016, 02:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've seen photos of that office before and it is definitely gorgeous. Who wants to give me a tour?
I call shotgun.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Did you know there was also 'research' out there Obama is a reptile?

Looks cubes are bigger and more private than open, you realize people were saying the same crap about moving from offices to cubes.

In the future we're just going to all share a keyboard
Offices are a lot better than cubes for software development, but the productivity difference isn't enough to justify the cost of changing structural floor plans of a building into comfortably sized offices for a human being to work. Can you imagine putting people into drywalled and closed-doored rooms that only had the square footage of a typical cubicle? Most would opt for the cubicle. Proper sized offices are not feasible.

In contrast, just having the acoustic insulation properties of a well designed cubicle layout pays huge productivity dividends and goes a long way toward minimizing distractions. It the optimal balance between privacy, accessibility, cost and use of space. Some people are not happy with optimal balance though, they always have to change for the sake of change, gots to haves that new bling yo!

So you believe research is useless, but you purport that co-working arrangements are successful. Without some research that backs your claims, how did you intend to prove this? Cuz ya sedz so? I bet I can show you a long list of failed startups that began as co-working scenarios. You won't accept that list though, because its a matter of cited research. Too bad we have all these people wasting time researching cures for fatal diseases.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Some people like private spaces and some people thrive on being around people. I've known plenty of people doing all sorts of work who can't stand to work in a quiet office and thrive on a noisy coffee shop environment and yes this includes tech people. I think ideally there would be private offices and also plenty of open space like we have in our homes with bedrooms and living rooms. If you're a person who needs background noise to function you can go to the "living room" space and if you're a person who needs absolute quiet you can go to the sensory deprivation "bedroom" to work. Not a particularly cost effective set up for the company, though.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Some people like private spaces and some people thrive on being around people. I've known plenty of people doing all sorts of work who can't stand to work in a quiet office and thrive on a noisy coffee shop environment and yes this includes tech people. I think ideally there would be private offices and also plenty of open space like we have in our homes with bedrooms and living rooms. If you're a person who needs background noise to function you can go to the "living room" space and if you're a person who needs absolute quiet you can go to the sensory deprivation "bedroom" to work. Not a particularly cost effective set up for the company, though.
Regardless of personality type, I've never known a software engineer that wrote their best code in noisy conditions.
Sure, you can get work done with lots of chatter and people walking up randomly to talk about whatever is on their mind, but it's not the best you're capable of, and you'll end up putting in longer hours to do the same level of work as your best.

This is one reason so many software engineers just say screw it, and work from home even if they have to start their own company and bill the company as a consultant to do it. If their employer can't figure out how to create a productive environment they create one for themselves. A software engineer might like to be around people when he's not in the middle of trying to focus on code, but that's something that gets missed out on if they are forced to work remotely, unfortunately.

Also not every software engineer can just pick up and go to another room easily. Some types of work require multiple large monitors, multiple computers and devices, etc.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
It reminds me of the 'open classroom' school concept invented in the 70's: they built schools that weren't much more than one giant room.

My kids went to a school like that...the district had spent a boatload of money to fix it by putting in individual classrooms. Turns out, teachers didn't like teaching in mass chaos.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Offices are a lot better than cubes for software development, but the productivity difference isn't enough to justify the cost of changing structural floor plans of a building into comfortably sized offices for a human being to work. Can you imagine putting people into drywalled and closed-doored rooms that only had the square footage of a typical cubicle? Most would opt for the cubicle. Proper sized offices are not feasible.

In contrast, just having the acoustic insulation properties of a well designed cubicle layout pays huge productivity dividends and goes a long way toward minimizing distractions. It the optimal balance between privacy, accessibility, cost and use of space. Some people are not happy with optimal balance though, they always have to change for the sake of change, gots to haves that new bling yo!

So you believe research is useless, but you purport that co-working arrangements are successful. Without some research that backs your claims, how did you intend to prove this? Cuz ya sedz so? I bet I can show you a long list of failed startups that began as co-working scenarios. You won't accept that list though, because its a matter of cited research. Too bad we have all these people wasting time researching cures for fatal diseases.
how do you know it was the floor plan and not the flouride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary