U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 PM

36,505 posts, read 46,264,505 times

Advertisements

How do you compare with National Average and Efficient Home?

We usually do very well, especially considering we have close to 4800 sq ft. But I just noticed that last year during February and especially March we were way above Efficient Home. What happened in our area in Feb and March of last year? Did we have snow then? Was your bill higher then as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 AM

11,719 posts, read 21,108,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What happened in our area in Feb and March of last year? Did we have snow then? Was your bill higher then as well?
February was extremely cold from the polar vortex. We dropped one day to 9 degrees on the coast. So, yes, our bill was unusually high. When you have a heat pump it is not efficient below about 32 degrees. The electric furnace kicks on because the heat pump cannot extract hear from the air. The electric furnace uses a lot of electricity.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 AM

540 posts, read 750,442 times
I think those usable charts are great. I use less electricity than the efficient home. (2600 s/f) In the winter I am a little bit lower, in the summer I am a lot lower since I don't set the AC very low. 77 ish.

Last Feb. we definitely had a dose of cold weather.

I also plug my usage into spread sheets to see how I do month-to-month and also compare each month over time. Now that I am not chasing my ex around the house turning off lights and other stuff behind her, I have dropped my power usage quite a bit. I also replaced my most-used lights with LEDs.

I do the same with my gas bill. I use the budget billing and after having a tankless water heater installed, when it came time to recalculate my bill, it went down 40 percent.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 AM

108 posts, read 130,885 times
I do read those statements. Our usage appears WAY higher than it should be. Merely being conscious of this has helped bring it down some, but we could do a lot better. I ordered an energy audit from PSNC (because Duke wasn't offering them anymore), scheduled for later this month. I am really curious about what we can do to reduce our power bills. I know the basics home improvements that should help, but want some guidance on where to start.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:31 AM

We are retired with two middle schoolers. DH wakes the girls up every morning and hits the upstairs heat till they leave for school. His office is upstairs and mine is downstairs so we live on both floors all day. Still we keep things fairly cool, especially at night where I like my body to be warm under the covers but want cool air to breathe. We all wear sweaters or light jackets inside and since he is bald, DH wears a knit sleep cap most of the time, day and night.

I am estatic when our yellow line is below the green line for Efficient Home so when I realized part of last Feb and Early March we were close to National Average blue line I was really wondering what happened. Thanks to those who let me know we were not alone.
Our goal is to get below Efficient Home which only happened last September. The yellow and green dots were right on top of each other for June, July and August, October, November and this January. I can keep costs in balance by wearing more clothes inside during the cold months but I can't run around naked during Summer so I refuse to let it get too warm. I'm surprised our useage was at or below Efficient Home during the summer months. I'm proud of us. It also helps we stopped hopping up and down to change the thermostat when ever somebody complained. We put on and shed clothes as needed.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,330,077 times
I read the report but don't change activities. We like the house cold in the summer so we are higher on the charts and accept that as a fact of life. I'll gladly pay the extra $1/day in the summer to sleep soundly.

In the winter we're on target with the graph but don't vary our activity. If we want more heat then we push the thermostat. I'm not about to wear a jacket in my own home.

Life's too short to not be comfortable!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I read the report but don't change activities. We like the house cold in the summer so we are higher on the charts and accept that as a fact of life. I'll gladly pay the extra $1/day in the summer to sleep soundly.

In the winter we're on target with the graph but don't vary our activity. If we want more heat then we push the thermostat. I'm not about to wear a jacket in my own home.

Life's too short to not be comfortable!
we wear those lightweight fleece sweatshirts or jackets like wind breakers. Not so different from a sweater and we all like them . Nobody complaining or uncomfortable. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:54 AM

540 posts, read 750,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
we wear those lightweight fleece sweatshirts or jackets like wind breakers. Not so different from a sweater and we all like them . Nobody complaining or uncomfortable. Different strokes for different folks.
You are correct. I think a lot of it is what you are used to. I grew up in the cold north in a frugal house, so I am used to wearing long sleeves or maybe a sweatshirt around the house in the winter. My southern born kids don't seem to mind - they are frequently in bare feet. This winter I've set the heat at 67 when we are in the house and 65 when we are not home.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 AM

219 posts, read 193,592 times
I love those energy reports. We are consistently lower than the energy efficient homes. We have a small home, less than 1500 sq ft. I am always cold and I wear a sweatshirt/fleece indoors with a blanket nearby. I keep the heat set to 66 during the day and 64 when we're sleeping.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:36 AM

Let's hear it for indoor jacket people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or