Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
If you're parking and then need to walk to the terminal, that's going to add 10 minutes probably.
I usually need to sit in the car for 5 minutes to let the dizziness subside from the parking ramp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
If you're parking and then need to walk to the terminal, that's going to add 10 minutes probably.

Just keep an eye on the roads and be prepared to leave earlier if things are starting to look dicey. You get some slick stuff down on the roads, and all of a sudden those 10 miles on 540 will take a lot longer.
^This is what I was trying to say....

Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
How much snow are we expecting tomorrow and over the weekend? The forecast I saw wasn't very clear about it. I have a partner with a car that doesn't do well in any kind of snow.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:16 PM

221 posts, read 202,743 times
Quote:

Just keep an eye on the roads and be prepared to leave earlier if things are starting to look dicey. You get some slick stuff down on the roads, and all of a sudden those 10 miles on 540 will take a lot longer.
Yep. Perhaps OP wasn't here in 2005 when people were stuck in their cars because traffic came to a screeching halt due to an inch of snow.

USATODAY.com - Inch of snow throws Raleigh, N.C., into a tizzy

Now, I'm not saying what happened in 2005 definitely will or won't happen tomorrow, or that OP needs to head to the airport now and camp out. Just that anything's possible and it's often difficult to predict what will happen.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
I would be more concerned where my plane was coming from, and delays late in the day, than I would with local conditions.
And, when to arrive? I find RDU fairly comfortable to loaf in and usually plan for time to read a bit, play with my phone or tablet, etc. 3:00 seems just a bit tight to me.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 PM

3,304 posts, read 8,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
Yep. Perhaps OP wasn't here in 2005 when people were stuck in their cars because traffic came to a screeching halt due to an inch of snow.

USATODAY.com - Inch of snow throws Raleigh, N.C., into a tizzy

Now, I'm not saying what happened in 2005 definitely will or won't happen tomorrow, or that OP needs to head to the airport now and camp out. Just that anything's possible and it's often difficult to predict what will happen.
The same thing happened back in February 2014, albeit on a smaller scale. If the roads weren't so cold it wouldn't be a big deal, but with the temps in the teens low 20's as lows for several days, anything that falls usually sticks to the road like glue. I witnessed traffic come to a screeching halt real fast that day. I left 20 minutes earlier than my neighbor who works right up the road from me. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to get home (normally 20-25 min) and it took him 3½ hours. I literally saved myself hours in just leaving a few minutes earlier and it was still a horrid drive home.

If flakes start flying, or you even think they're about to start flying (with the roads this cold), I'd be ready to beat feet outta there. With that being said, we might not really see anything in Raleigh. I hope not, because I don't want another hellish commute tomorrow...or Monday for that matter.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:21 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,412 times
A little snow or ice isn't the reason to leave early; it's the accidents they cause that could get you stuck in traffic for an hour or two. Best to be proactive.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:30 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
I'd leave at 2:00 if you can, just to be safe, because ice, and all.

I'm flying out tomorrow too but at 10 a.m. - am going to get there a couple of hours early in case of sleet and general weirdness on the road. Plus, Five Guys sells burgers for breakfast.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:30 PM

750 posts, read 853,000 times
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll stand by to get the kids out of school early and get to the airport. Don't they treat the roads with salt and grit?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
There's snow forecast tomorrow starting late morning. We have a flight at 5pm. How easily do they shut RDU? Should we expect cancellation or delay or nothing?
As Wizard pointed out, the biggest risk is the airlines not wanting to have their hardware stuck on a tarmac somewhere not in a position to generate income.

I had a friend fly in from Michigan for the NC State/Duke game a few weeks back and was scheduled to arrive on the Weds. prior. He got shut out even though there was nothing going on here but oddly caught a flight the next day out of LGA when there were issues here.

Keep the "Flight Aware" app at hand, it will update you far sooner than the airlines will.

(BTW - We had a swell time at the game, made even more fun by blatantly disregarding the Governor's warning that we were a public menace by attending. Unlike Hizzoner, we don't get comp tickets. If I'm payin' and they're playin', I'm goin'...)

Last edited by take57; 02-11-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary