Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks for reconfirming that our decision to use a shinier manufactured wood floor, no carpet and brushed nickel was a good decision. Put granite in the bathrooms, too.
All good choices. It is too bad the tract builders are so hung up on engineered wood, though. It is all about easy production schedule and predictability rather than purchaser performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
All good choices. It is too bad the tract builders are so hung up on engineered wood, though. It is all about easy production schedule and predictability rather than purchaser performance.
Actually, Toll did offer real wood. At a much higher cost and in a limited size and color selection.

Since we're just two old, slow folks shuffling around in slippers with only a smaller size dog, we went with manufactured. In our case, it's held up very well and I've grown to love it EXCEPT in the kitchen.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Actually, Toll did offer real wood. At a much higher cost and in a limited size and color selection.

Since we're just two old, slow folks shuffling around in slippers with only a smaller size dog, we went with manufactured. In our case, it's held up very well and I've grown to love it EXCEPT in the kitchen.
You got to make a choice. For many builders, there is no choice of site-finished wood floors.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM

4,553 posts, read 3,752,342 times
My sister bought in Braemore, and we visit often, including during their construction. Definitely the best location with walking, adjacent neighborhoods, stores and proximity to 540. Quality of construction is very good from what I can tell, it all depends on the construction manager. Braemore has a very good one.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 16,403 times
Quote:
Why are you limiting yourself to new construction? I would think that's an unwise decision.
We love the older communities like Weycroft but so far we've been unable to find a resale with the more modern open floor plans that we like

Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmizzo View Post
Couple lots and new homes left in Cameron pond. New neighborhood going in off of Indian wells by k hovnanian. New Ashton woods community down by wrenhurst and the AT trail if you don't care about Cary schools....same floor plans as braemore.

Airplane noise is going to be an issue in this area regardless. To me I don't mind at all. But I'm sure there plenty of people who do.

I loved the builders in Bellwood but the pricing was too high for me per square foot. Similar to copperleaf without the amenities Sedgefield pricing better.
We have not looked at the new Indian Wells community. Will check it out. We ruled out the AW community in Chatham county only because of the schools :-(

Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, the Ashton Woods folks offer great floor plans. Weiland has offerings, if they are building in a good location for you.
Pulte does, too, along with Beazer, MI, "CalAtlantic."

Many builders with a multi-state footprint see and respond to trends a little quicker and bring in successful offerings from other markets.

Still, the lot size is elusive for folks who just really don't want a "Grey Poupon" house.
Yes we have not been able to find the contemporary floor plans that AW offers with anyone else... maybe Dickerson can build us a more contemporary home if we can find a good lot to build with them.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I've been casually looking at houses myself with similar specs (~3500sf, ~$700K, close to RTP), including visiting many of the neighborhoods you mention during last fall's Parade of Homes. Some thoughts:

Regarding airplane noise, I've been in Sedgefield when planes went over and I've been in Bellewood Manor when planes went over and I couldn't tell a difference in plane noise...it's very loud in both places, like "stop your conversation and wait for it to pass" loud (that's while standing outside; it's barely noticeable when inside). It will be difficult to stay under $700K in Bellewood Manor.

I'd personally buy a resale custom home in Weycroft before I bought a new Ashton Woods Braemore home. Weycroft is the neighborhood that surrounds Braemore. You're not getting value for your money from Ashton Woods in Braemore they way you are from the custom builders in the other neighborhoods.

I don't think anything in Copperleaf Glen will be under $700K, maybe barely.

I've driven through the Homes by Dickerson neighborhood (Haywood) off Pinecrest. The lots feel kind of small, like Sedgefield, but otherwise it's nice. I like Homes by Dickerson, too. I first really liked them when walking through a house in Barton's Grove (North Raleigh, off Old Creedmoor). They used to be at or near $700K in Barton's Grove, but all the new ones now seem to be $800K+.

I've never been out to Saxonbury, so no opinions there.

For me, lot size is a sticking point as I just don't want to spend $700K for a house on a tiny lot (I've ranted about that previously) and all the new construction stuff in western Wake seems to be just that. The jury is still out on exactly what we'll do but I anticipate that we'll end up purchasing a resale home rather than new construction. You mention value for money and, to me, there just isn't as much value for money in new construction. Initially, I thought we'd be in western Wake for sure due to proximity to RTP, good schools, etc. but the more we look the more open we are becoming to other areas. For example, if you're willing to consider North Raleigh, there's some nice new construction right now in Gates at Ethan's Glen, Mt. Vernon Crossing, Barton's Grove, just to name a few. All of these areas are just as convenient to RTP as Cary.

Good luck with your search!
You seem to have explored all the neighborhoods we did with the same insights Thanks for affirming our observations! We are also cautious to spend 700K on a home with barely any yard with a growing family. N Raleigh off Creedmoor always seemed a bit too far with 540 backed up at peak office time. We live in Brier Creek now and are often happy to be getting off 540 at exit 4B but will take a ride up 540 to check out these other neighborhoods, thanks!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
[quote=triangle-explorers;43015987]We love the older communities like Weycroft but so far we've been unable to find a resale with the more modern open floor plans that we like [/QUOTE
The newly-listed house isn't open enough? And not you specifically, cause its certainly not the first time I've heard it...but 9 years is an "older community"?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:56 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
The newly-listed house isn't open enough? And not you specifically, cause its certainly not the first time I've heard it...but 9 years is an "older community"?
The house that is "newly" listed has actually been on the market for quite some time. I first looked at the house back in May of last year. Personally, I think it is an odd layout - the stairs are hidden between the family room and office. But it seems like a great neighborhood. If the right home for our needs would have been available, it would have been our first choice. There was actually a home listed for several months that we loved, but the owners had no plans on moving. They only listed to see if someone would pay the asking price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary