Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

My nephew graduated from high school and I gave him a few bucks and a few finance books. He reads.
Dang. Converted him into a cheapskate.

But, he says, "I'll spend money on something I want."

He was going into the Navy out of HS, and I told him it was a perfect setting to observe how people handle money.
That he and a few buds would all be making the same money, and sitting around on a Saturday afternoon someone would say, "Let's get a couple of pizzas."
He could choose to be one of the guys who always had $5.00 or $10.00 to throw in, or he could be one of the hungry guys that looked away because they always burned cash as fast as they could light it.
I don't think he is missing any meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,206,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What sort of personal finance fundamentals are taught in the Triangle public schools?
Are there any classes introducing kids to personal financial basics, how to handle money, about earnings vs. expenses, balancing a checking account, how interest works, i.e., borrowing with credit cards, etc?
If so, at what age/grade?
Yes, my son had it his freshman or sophomore year. I believe it was an elective.

I think personal finance should be a requirement. 100% chance of needing that information compared to [biology...calculus...whatever].

Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yes, my son had it his freshman or sophomore year. I believe it was an elective.

I think personal finance should be a requirement. 100% chance of needing that information compared to [biology...calculus...whatever].
And, it ties directly to basic math, too.
When I am in the Kangaroo and see a working guy paying $13 for two beers and a pack of smokes, I see a math lesson op.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 AM

514 posts, read 602,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

I agree it should be but I have felt that way since I was in junior high. Finance was one of my majors as an undergrad and my MBA is in Finance, so I am likely biased. It is just sad how many people really have little or no understanding of the basics.

I have seen no reason to believe it is a required part of the curriculum.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
I have a senior in WCPSS and as part of the civics requirement they have a small section on personal finance. Basically, they are given a profile and had to go to different stations to learn how to deal with situations that might arise and make decisions accordingly. If anything, it reaffirmed the need for higher education.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 AM

Check out this organization's mission:
Home | The Carying PlaceThe Carying Place | Caring, Helping & Equipping Wake County Families for Living

Rhetorical question, because none of us can really know:
How many of their clients may have been able to avoid this need if they had had personal finance and budget instruction in school?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 AM

386 posts, read 436,405 times
My son is taking a personal finance class as a freshman this year at Apex Friendship.

It's an elective.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
My son is taking a personal finance class as a freshman this year at Apex Friendship.

It's an elective.
Excellent!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Mine have yet to have any finance classes. Still, they are tiny wizards, now. Well, not my daughter, but she's 15. I've got 25 and 18 covered. 18 taught himself, the little miser.

LOL.

No, really, he's loaded for a kid at 18 in high school with no job.

ETA: I do make all of them pay for all or part of luxuries they don't need. He's still loaded. Kid knows the value of savings.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM

183 posts, read 197,944 times
good to see some schools offer this as part of their curriculum, however school isn't the only place kids can learn.

in high school, we learned to balance a checkbook, write a check, make a basic budget...but my father is the one who emphasized the importance of applied finance concepts in day to day life. there are some great, fast reads out there to break ground on young minds for these important topics. i'll also give a plug to the motley fool (fool.com) for great posts on the big hitter topics in finance: credit/debt, saving, budgeting, and investing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary