Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM

20 posts, read 76,245 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking for some abandoned buildings in the Clayton, NC and the surrounding areas. I have a final project that I'm doing for school and decided to do them on old abandoned buildings. I've been driving around Clayton and see amazing ones on the side of the road but I would love to be able to go in with a flashlight and take some photos for the project.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate and assistance you can give.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM

393 posts, read 652,210 times
Be very careful going into any abandoned property. You can and will be cited for trespassing in this day and time. If this were 20 years ago I would say go ahead and look inside as long as the doors were off etc etc. However in this day and age you can get in big trouble just walking in the front door of an "abandoned" building. Try and ask the neighbors about the building first and if they are no help be content to just look from the outside. The risk isn't worth the reward in this case. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:30 PM

166 posts, read 304,341 times
If you have an address you might be able to go to the city auditor's office to find who owns the property ( through tax records) and ask permission to enter.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
Does Johnston County have something like the Wake imap system? If they do you can look up the property owners from there. Here's the Wake one: City of Raleigh and Wake County iMaps

Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 76,245 times
Thank you for your assistance....I was looking more on the lines of buildings like Eastern State Penitentiary in PA. Onces that allow visitors and such.

I would never walk into a house or building without permission first. I realized my first post wasn't that clear. Sorry about that.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,246 times
Do a Google search on "abandoned homes nc". I got interested in them myself when doing an internship in the eastern part of the state. Living in the Triangle, I wasn't used to seeing so many abandoned houses. There's a lot of information out there. I also stumbled on a Flickr group with all kinds of abandoned NC houses, and extensive research done on owners, old photos of the houses when folks lived there, all kinds of stuff. Some of the work may already be done for you!

Flickr: Abandoned North Carolina (http://www.flickr.com/groups/abandonednc/ - broken link)

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM

166 posts, read 304,341 times
This isn't in Clayton, but the bullcityrising website has a link that includes old/historic buildings. As far as I know its limited to the Durham area ( I haven't been here long enough to be really familiar with some of the places they discuss) but it may not be. I can't remember the name of the specific site, but bullcityrising.com has a link to it andit is pretty interesting

Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,724,700 times
Like Special_Guest said Flickr is an incredible resourse for abandoned places. I have three sets on that subject alone on there.

Here is another group that might help you....

Flickr: Trespassing (http://www.flickr.com/groups/trespassing/ - broken link)

And another...

Flickr: Crossing the Line (http://www.flickr.com/groups/crossedlines/ - broken link)

Good luck to you and be careful.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,176 times
There is an old nursing home on the corner of Lake Wheeler and Hilltop Needmore that is all boarded up. One of the doors was removed so I was able to get a few pictures from the doorway ( I did not go inside) we drove around the lot and you could tell that there may have been squatters due to the amount of trash all over the property. I looked the property up online and it has been abandoned since 2006.

A few months back, I noticed that there were some police cars at the property and then the next day some people had come in to remove stuff from inside. There were two large dumpsters filled with mattresses and just a bunch of junk. It has since been boarded up again and the graffiti was painted over. I drive by it every day and look to see if there is any new activity. I do see some people wandering around the property from time to time, but the boards are all still in place and no new graffiti has appeared.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 AM

525 posts, read 899,416 times
Default houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSKLR View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for some abandoned buildings in the Clayton, NC and the surrounding areas. I have a final project that I'm doing for school and decided to do them on old abandoned buildings. I've been driving around Clayton and see amazing ones on the side of the road but I would love to be able to go in with a flashlight and take some photos for the project.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate and assistance you can give.

Thank you!
yea take a trip to new orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary