Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:03 PM

363 posts, read 433,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I am sorry, but in no universe is Chapel Hill "15-20 minutes away" from Crabtree Valley Mall! Not really even Durham.
Chapel Hill is the furthest out of them, but it's less than 30 minutes away. Southpoint mall is only 17 miles away from where I stay, it always takes me between 20-25 minutes depending on traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 25,056 times
Thanks, y'all, the input is very useful. You've given me a good starting point. It's one thing to know map times and distances and quite another to know the real time with traffic.

I live in center city Philadelphia right now with no car and have to walk to and from the grocery store - it's not all it's cracked up to be! Especially when I have to haul home cat litter! I'm just excited to be able to DRIVE just a few minutes to get to shopping. It's the little things

I appreciate the help!

Old 02-20-2016, 05:07 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindygrins View Post
Thanks, y'all, the input is very useful. You've given me a good starting point. It's one thing to know map times and distances and quite another to know the real time with traffic.

I live in center city Philadelphia right now with no car and have to walk to and from the grocery store - it's not all it's cracked up to be! Especially when I have to haul home cat litter! I'm just excited to be able to DRIVE just a few minutes to get to shopping. It's the little things

I appreciate the help!

We got a bit derailed on the Fun Train about the walking thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=habQoz28Prw

Hope you got a chuckle or two before order was restored.

The cogent point: Anything within walking range that has a parking lot can also be easily driven to.
At Camden Lake Pine, you might spend more time getting into and out of the car than you actually would driving to Kroger or Costco. It is that close.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Cary is the good halfway point between Raleigh and Durham, especially the northern part near I-40.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM

812 posts, read 830,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindygrins View Post
Hi,

My fiance and I are in our late 20s and making a move to the Triangle from Philly. We are excited about it and I am familiar with Durham at least, having visited friends many times there. We are looking for, initially, an apartment at a midpoint between Raleigh, Durham, and Cary. He will be working in Cary, while I will be working some days Duke Medical Center in Durham and some days per week at Duke Raleigh Hospital.

We're looking for:
- Midpoint between Durham, Raleigh, and Cary
- Living closer to one or the other is fine, the commute to Cary needs to be less than 20 minutes, however
- 2 bed/2 bath apartment for $1200 or ideally less
- Safe area (I have read enough to know that more areas are safe than not, and in any case, anything is safer than Center City Philadelphia where I've been)
- Suburban
- Easily accessible to Target, Costco, shopping like that - within 10 minutes, 20 at the most

Looking at the map and reading on the forum some, it seems that living either near RTP or in Morrisville or Cary could work, or the Brier Creek area or somewhere in the vicinity. Am I on the right track here, or is there anywhere specific (down to neighborhoods, street names, apartment complexes, you can be detailed if you choose) that I should direct my search? The options at this point seem kind of overwhelming - too many choices! A good problem to have.

Thanks!

North Cary....period. Northeast Cary 27513 if you are on budget; Northwest Cary if you want new and feel comfortable stretching the budget. The only concern with Morrisville, and some parts of Northwest Cary, is being in the RDU flight path...actually...some parts put you right across the interstate from the end of the runway. Though some units are well insulated against sound, it still might be nice to take a walk around the hood and not have to yell to each other to be heard over the jet noise. Consider this, Northeast Cary development is the "oldest" (30-40 years old) of all the triangle burbs because, being the most convenient/central local, it was built out first. In general, the newer and/or less expensive housing is, the lower the "convenience factor" - to work and probably the better amenities; it's one of those laws of real estate or something. I think one of the reasons Morrisville was late to develop, and does have some newer build that is "cheaper" than expected, is because of the being at the end of the runway thing. Anybody have thoughts on this theory?

Old 02-20-2016, 09:22 AM

812 posts, read 830,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This^

I've lived in both.

27513 is closer to 40, and gives you best access to Duke, both locations, but is 10-15 minutes (max) from Hubby's work.

27511 is actually closer to hubby's work, and is 25-30 minutes to either Duke location. Durham Freeway and 440 can back up at times, but that is not more relevant to one location of the other.

Also, 27511 is litterally in walking distance to costco. I live there now (Highlands) and walk our dogs past costco on a regular basis. It's 2.1 miles from gas pump to my garage, and maybe 4 miles to Wake Med.

Second 27513 being best for both commutes. You should be able to get to Durham via 147 via 40 without having to pay the tolls...bonus!! Of course, several ways to get down to Wakemed in less than 15 minutes -even in the worst of traffic; 10 minute ave. probably. Full disclosure, I live in 27513.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary