Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:26 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times

Advertisements

From an article published by the Raleigh Public Record about the latest Council meeting:

Quote:
lengthy presentation on the City's proposed BikeShare program from Transportation Director Eric Lamb.

"Traditionally bikeshare systems are kiosk-based automated self-service bike rental systems," Lamb explained.

"We're trying to encourage a system that has point-to-point station-to-station trips. Typically people buy memberships, whether annual or daily."

In 2009, bikeshare was introduced as an action item in the 2030 Comprehensive Plan and in 2013 Council approved the selection of Toole Design Group to develop a feasibility study and implementation plan. In 2014, TDG determined that such a system was feasible in Raleigh, and proposed an implementation plan. In 2015, it was not included in the Fiscal Year 2016 budget.

Lamb said the initial roll out plan would include 30 stations at a total capital cost of around $2 million, which would be covered by a Congestion Mitigation & Air Quality Grant offered through the Capital Area Metropolitan Organization. In order to receive this grant, however, the city would have to allocate $425,000 in matching funds.

In addition to the $2 million capital outlay grant, the City would also be eligible for a $125,000 grant covering the design and planning of the system.

Lamb said the projected annual cost of operation was around $653,000, $215,000 of which would be recovered through user fees. The City would be responsible for the additional $438,000.
The initial plan, Lamb said, would be "relatively compact" and centered around downtown and NC State. Stations would also be put in place at Meredith College, Peace College, St. Augustine's Unviersity and Shaw University. Although no commitments have been made at this time, Councilors asked staff to look into financial partnerships with these universities to help offset the cost of the stations.

@rnc2mbfl

... could be good. Interested in this...

thoughts, folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I'm an avid cyclists and proponent of multi-modal transportation but in my opinion BikeShare just doesn't make sense in Raleigh unless private money is going to cover a significant chunk of it. I just don't see a whole lot of people using it.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'm an avid cyclists and proponent of multi-modal transportation but in my opinion BikeShare just doesn't make sense in Raleigh unless private money is going to cover a significant chunk of it. I just don't see a whole lot of people using it.
Who do you foresee being the primary users? What's the profile of the user?

Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Who do you foresee being the primary users? What's the profile of the user?
I can see college students (NC State, Meredith, Peace, Shaw etc..) using it to get between downtown/Cameron Village and school. I could see low-income residents east of downtown using it though the program does require use of a credit card which may be a deterrant. Other than that I'm not sure - there is the R-Line downtown that you can use to get around downtown (which isn't that big to begin with, you can easily walk from Fayetteville Street to Glenwood Ave).

Honestly it depends where they decide to place the stations.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:35 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Honestly it depends where they decide to place the stations.
This, pretty much. I can see it working if it's confined to the NCSU, Hillsborough Street, and immediate downtown districts. If they partnered with NCSU, Meredith, Peace, and Shaw -- it'd help get the word out.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
! wear helmet with properly-adjusted strap... if you bump your head, you might spell: ... Thougths? ;-)

(I cannot believe the number of riders I see, all ages, with dangling chin straps. One spill, and it slides off, exposing forehead and more.)

Sure hope no taxpayer money goes for it. Make it part of the tuition bill at the schools.
Landlords of rental properties could also pitch in.

Meanwhile Chapel Hill still has free bus service!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
! wear helmet with properly-adjusted strap... if you bump your head, you might spell: ... Thougths? ;-)

(I cannot believe the number of riders I see, all ages, with dangling chin straps. One spill, and it slides off, exposing forehead and more.)

Sure hope no taxpayer money goes for it. Make it part of the tuition bill at the schools.
Landlords of rental properties could also pitch in.

The city is going to be paying a good amount still if the bike share program is approved.

I think UNC pays a significant portion of the cost to operate free buses in Chapel Hill (remember seeing 30% before in the past).

I don't wear a helmet most of the time unless I know I'm going to be somewhere dangerous........YOLO.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:41 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Sure hope no taxpayer money goes for it.
Quote:
You do realize that bus service is operating based on some tax-payer money right?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
... could be good. Interested in this...

thoughts, folks?
My thoughts are that it's sort of like Uber for bikes. If it's available where it's actually needed, and priced right, and accessible, it may get some use. I'm an avid biker too, and I travel a lot. I've seen these in other cities, and for whatever reason (as bad as I want to ride when I'm not at home), I've never tried it.

I fear that Raleigh is not densely populated enough to make it work. The best hope (IMO) is having them all over all of the big college campuses, so people can use them to get inter and intra campus. Big if though.

Every fiber of me wants things like this to happen and succeed, but I really can't say I have a great feeling about it here and now.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
You do realize that bus service is operating based on some tax-payer money right?
Yep, and it works in all kinds of weather for all kinds of people.
More remarks:
The Raleigh Connoisseur (February 22, 2016) - Council Discusses Bike Share in Raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary