Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:52 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,995,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Terrible old aircraft, noisy, tatty bad in flight entertainment ( not in each seat)
Anything good about it? I may start drinking now instead of waiting for the flight. LOL

I think I'll have some videos for me on my phone. Maybe my partner will use my tablet or he'll read.

It should be a fun trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:05 PM

749 posts, read 849,065 times
No. Absolutely nothing good about it.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
No. Absolutely nothing good about it.
I see. At least they serve alcohol right? At least that will dull the pain.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM

17 posts, read 17,513 times
A friend and I took the flight last November (the week before Thanksgiving). The flight over was ok - as other's have said, it's an old plane without in seat entertainment. In coach, they do show recent movies but they're on the old tv monitors mounted through out the cabin. Business class is only a modest step improvement since the seat's lay flat and for a short flight (it was 6 -7 hours in flight), in my opinion I don't think it's worth the extra cost.

I won't expect to get a good night's sleep (with or without booze/drugs) and yes, they serve free wine with dinner in coach. If you want to sleep, I'd recommend an eye mask to block the light from the in flight movies. Service was decent but the food (dinner or breakfast) wasn't anything to brag about - I'd even suggest getting dinner and snacks at the airport and bringing it aboard.

I would also recommend loading up on movies on your tablet and get some noise cancelling headphones. If I remember correctly, power is AC so you need a car charger type to use on the plane. I brought a mophie recharger and had no problems at all.

My friend and I booked the middle section seats and both booked aisles, and we were lucky enough to have the middle seat not occupied so we could spread out a bit which made the trip a little more manageable. I don't recall any issue with the power unit blocking the foot space area.

As far as 2 hours to connect, all depends upon maintenance and how many other flights arrive and have to go through customs with you. I was lucky going as we were close to the front of the plane and there weren't too many flights into Heathrow so customs was a relative breeze (we flew out on a Monday night).

On the way back, AA cancelled our flight and we ended up connecting through CLT (I thought it would be a better option to drive 3 hours if we missed our connection to RDU then get stuck in PHL or New York). The plane was newer and despite being a longer flight, it was more pleasant since the plane was virtually empty and both my friend and I got an entire row to our selves. But to be totally truthful, I'd take the direct flight over connecting any day.

Best of luck, and enjoy Nice!!!

Old 02-25-2016, 03:16 PM

Thanks for that great report. Yep, have headphones and will load up on movies. Appreciate the tips.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:16 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,663,191 times
Eventually AA will replace 767s on the RDU-LHR flight with 787s. AA has 13 787s operating already and took delivery of 2 more last week, but most of them are being used on Asia routes where the reduction in fuel consumption they provide makes the most financial difference. AA has another 27 787s on order, but I think we'll see refurbed 767s at RDU for at least two more years.

It's not inconceivable that AA will occasionally put a 777 on the route, but the reality is that RDU-LHR doesn't generate enough traffic to fill a 777 except in summer. AA has better uses for 777s.

The big advantage of the AA nonstop (and soon, the DL nonstop to CDG) is, simply said, not having to make a connection. If you travel frequently, you know that connections are a risk. I had to do an unplanned overnight at JFK last week because of a missed international-to-domestic connection. ORD in the winter is iffy, and so is DFW in the summer.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:32 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,091,265 times
I'm sure you don't all want to do this, but I found an AMAZING deal on Virgin flying from Dulles (DC) to LHR in July so booked for my family of 5 and we'll just drive to Dulles (that sucks but oh well...)....
Anyway - saved about $1500 total and get to "travel in style"

Old 02-26-2016, 02:24 PM

644 posts, read 837,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I'm sure you don't all want to do this, but I found an AMAZING deal on Virgin flying from Dulles (DC) to LHR in July so booked for my family of 5 and we'll just drive to Dulles (that sucks but oh well...)....
Anyway - saved about $1500 total and get to "travel in style"
How much did it come out to per person?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,663,191 times
A counter agent at RDU told me today that in March, AA will assign a 787 to the RDU-Heathrow flight. Nice to see a new plane on the route. Because AA chose 9-abreast for the 787 in economy, it will actually be tighter seating than the 767, but a new plane nevertheless with in-flight entertainment, etc.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 14,679,808 times
Will that be the first of the type serving RDU? Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary