Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 12,372 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I was offered a job at The Durham VA. We are New York natives, but have lived near Fort Bragg for about a year, until we moved back home to NY. What are some good areas to start looking in for rentals? We are looking for the following:

-single family or complex up to $1200/month in walkable suburbs
-great schools no more than 30 minutes away
-commute less than 45 minutes to Durham VA
-most major shopping within 20 minutes (target/Walmart, Harris Teeter)

If any more info is needed let me know. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 4,509 times
Maybe look in Hillsborough. It is about 20 minutes from Durham, and the rentals are a little cheaper because you're further away from the college students. It is a great little town.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Durham is a great town too. I have often wished we lived there so my kids could have had the opportunity to apply to the Durham School for the Creative Arts for high school, named the top school in NC by USNews a couple of years ago.

I grew up in Fayetteville and it strikes me that Durham and Fayetteville used to have some similarities back in the 50s and 60s, but since then Durham has just gotten all the cool stuff, Durham Center for Performing Arts, American Tobacco Campus, nationally recognized restaurants even Southpoint Mall, not to mention Duke, and Fayetteville has just gotten Walmarts and new Paneras. It's sad how that town has stagnated and Durham has become awesome. I think if you liked anything about Fayetteville and Fort Bragg (milder winters maybe) you might really like Durham. I believe the Durham VA and Duke Hospitals do work together some as well.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:13 PM

39 posts, read 47,650 times
45 minutes from the Durham VA will actually get you to most areas of the Triangle (including Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough, Cary, maybe Apex), even with our "rush hour traffic".

I don't know much about schools in the area, but my understanding is that the Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools and Wake County schools (covering Raleigh, Morrisville, Cary, Apex, etc) are generally better than the Durham public schools, perhaps with the exception of the magnet schools.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 12,372 times
Thank you very much for the replies! Poppydog, I've heard conflicting things about living in Durham, are there certain areas to stay away from?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Sure, but I think they're fairly obvious. If you get to a decent price point then you're in a nice neighborhood. If the price seems too good to be true, there might be a reason for that. It's certainly better than Fayetteville.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
Don't think your experience from Fayetteville is comparable to Durham. Not one bit. Durham is much better even though I love and grew up in Fayetteville. From what you listed, you can literally move to anywhere in Durham and even some outskirts. The VA is literally right off the exit of 147, literally. Good schools is gonna be different based on the age group your looking into. I put my daughter in EK Powe Elementary and she loved it there. Not too far from the VA and in a great neighborhood of older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary