Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 AM

342 posts, read 386,088 times

Advertisements

I don't think you will have the same issues here. We have had a different experience with boys where shoes ARE very important, but I would be shocked if someone got bullied over it. I know that our school (Heritage Middle) takes bullying very seriously. Many of the boys have the expensive shoes, I know KD's are a big thing among my son's friends. My son mowed lawns all spring to be able to afford the ridiculously expensive shoes since I was only going to spend $50 on the shoes. But they are important enough in my son's crowd that he is already saving up for his next pair of shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 12:30 PM

39 posts, read 60,852 times
For my son, fashion was never an issue nor were having to have the latest trendy clothes. He went to Salem Middle in Apex and Mills Park Middle in Cary when we moved to a house. My daughter on the other hand was a complete different story. Our first experience with this was when she switched from Laurel Park Elem to Alston Ridge Elementary. At Alston Ridge it seemed as if it was a MUST to be dressed head to toe in all Justice wear or you just did not fit in. We now have her attending Cardinal Charter Academy in Cary where she wears a uniform everyday. We could not be happier about this. Not just because of the uniform but for the quality of education she is receiving. CCA is not a part of WCPSS and for that we are grateful!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 AM

115 posts, read 134,834 times
To be fair, those are all expensive trendy shoes. They are exactly what they might have been bugging you for, had they already not had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is fascinating.

My boys have NEVER cared what shoes they were wearing. I think my eldest spent most of HS wearing the same pair of Rainbow sandals in all but the coldest part of winter.

My middle kid wears a pair of Merrells unless he's wearing his Rainbow sandals. Before those, he had some Vans, but his actual theme is "what can I slip on?" My daughter does have a few pairs of Converse and some Doc Martens. I steered her toward those, originally.

Maybe she was a trendsetter because she's been wearing those for several years now.

No clue. Mine just buy what they like, I think.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 AM

61 posts, read 50,122 times
We went to the kids schools yesterday to enroll them. The feel of the schools are totally different than here! We are very excited for the kids to start!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 AM

514 posts, read 599,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
We went to the kids schools yesterday to enroll them. The feel of the schools are totally different than here! We are very excited for the kids to start!
Glad to hear it! I am headed up there now to watch the kids present on books for which they had to write reports.

Let me know which teacher you get for 3rd, please.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,082,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
To be fair, those are all expensive trendy shoes. They are exactly what they might have been bugging you for, had they already not had them.

Naw. They're not expensive shoes at all.

And, mine really don't "beg" me for clothing with a brand tag in it.

It's not like we're standing in the Air Jordans line. Nope. Not gonna happen over here. If mine want clothes like that, they can bust into the money they get from their grandma and buy them.

LOL.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 AM

115 posts, read 134,834 times
Rainbows are $50 flip flops. I guess expensive is relative.

I don't know from Air Jordans, have all girls. We do have a small fortune in Converse though. Jerks are a HALF a shoe size apart, and can't share shoes.

They do it to spite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Naw. They're not expensive shoes at all. And, mine really don't "beg" me for clothing with a brand tag in it.

It's not like we're standing in the Air Jordans line. Nope. Not gonna happen over here. If mine want clothes like that, they can bust into the money they get from their grandma and buy them. LOL.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,036,037 times
Those are definitely the trendy shoes around here (and priced just right so upper middle class families can afford). And kids want to have the real ones, the branded ones, not the knockoffs!
Throw in Toms and real Uggs (when will these go away????) and you're covered.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,082,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
Rainbows are $50 flip flops. I guess expensive is relative.

I don't know from Air Jordans, have all girls. We do have a small fortune in Converse though. Jerks are a HALF a shoe size apart, and can't share shoes.

They do it to spite me.
The boy wore those for over 5 years. I call that a bargain.

Never considered the price of Converse. She's got 2 pairs of high tops and a pair of low tops. She does cost more than the boys.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:35 AM

767 posts, read 1,843,171 times
I have 8th grade twins...girl & boy. I know all about the trends...but most have been discuss here. My son loves Nikes, not sure if that has been mentioned. Also, American Eagle and Hollister are the places to go for clothes, and PINK(the store) is very popular with the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary