Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My daughter has done that for over 10 years now. LOL. I'll let her know it's a trend. She just could not be fussed to match up socks as a little kid. In fact, over the past 2 years, hers are starting to match more often than not.

Kids are a hoot.
I'll take unmatched socks any day of the week than what my boys do. For some reason they constantly have one sock on, one sock off. I can't figure it out. It's not a fad at school, it's just that my kids are weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
At the two middle schools closest to me (DDMS, MPMS), there are definitely certain brands that are in. For girls... Jack Rogers, Uggs, Hunter, Northface, Simply Southern, Vera Bradley, Nike. When my daughter was at DDMS, a girl came up to her, looked at her shoes and said, "Are those FAKE Jack Rogers???" Yes - they were sandals that looked like Jack Rogers because my daughter thinks that spending over $100 for a pair of sandals is absurd (love that girl).

A lot of it depends on the parents. If the parents are status conscious, the kids are too.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
At the two middle schools closest to me (DDMS, MPMS), there are definitely certain brands that are in. For girls... Jack Rogers, Uggs, Hunter, Northface, Simply Southern, Vera Bradley, Nike. When my daughter was at DDMS, a girl came up to her, looked at her shoes and said, "Are those FAKE Jack Rogers???" Yes - they were sandals that looked like Jack Rogers because my daughter thinks that spending over $100 for a pair of sandals is absurd (love that girl).

A lot of it depends on the parents. If the parents are status conscious, the kids are too.
Yep. And it explains why mine tend not to be.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I've never even heard of Jack Rogers if that says anything about my kids' middle school experience. This is the first time the name has ever crossed my consciousness. I know most of the others, but totally not a thing for us. My kid asked for Bearpaw (fake Uggs) for Christmas specifically. She didn't want Uggs.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janda001 View Post
For my son, fashion was never an issue nor were having to have the latest trendy clothes. He went to Salem Middle in Apex and Mills Park Middle in Cary when we moved to a house. My daughter on the other hand was a complete different story. Our first experience with this was when she switched from Laurel Park Elem to Alston Ridge Elementary. At Alston Ridge it seemed as if it was a MUST to be dressed head to toe in all Justice wear or you just did not fit in. We now have her attending Cardinal Charter Academy in Cary where she wears a uniform everyday. We could not be happier about this. Not just because of the uniform but for the quality of education she is receiving. CCA is not a part of WCPSS and for that we are grateful!
Reminds me of a situation from a couple of years ago. Neighbor girl playing with my daughter (3rd graders) outside of our house slips and falls in the mud/dirt gets soiled. Her parents weren't at home, so my wife offers her one of my daughter's outfits to wear so she doesn't have to go around wet/muddy the rest of the afternoon. I think it was a pair of shorts/t-shirt from target or something like that. The first words out of the neighbor girl's mouth were, "I usually wear Justice clothes but I guess this will work".

I had months worth of teachable moments out of that incident. Unfortunately it opened both my daughter and wife's eyes to Justice, so now they spend way too much money there

Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
My boys (middle and high school) are definitely athletic shoe conscious, of course some of that is they are athletes so have the constant reinforcement from watching sports on TV. Not to the point of being bullied, but they have had several "What are those...." moments if they showed up in non-Nike or a the kind of Nike shoe that their dad would fund. Their solution is to have their mom take them shopping, who is more concerned with happiness and checking items off a list than value.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I've never even heard of Jack Rogers if that says anything about my kids' middle school experience. This is the first time the name has ever crossed my consciousness. I know most of the others, but totally not a thing for us. My kid asked for Bearpaw (fake Uggs) for Christmas specifically. She didn't want Uggs.
I am equally unaware of Jack Rogers. He sounds like he might be a space pirate.

My kid had a pair of fake Uggs in elementary school. I think they came from Target.

We've never bought a pair of Toms because we all like our feet to smell clean.

I know some brand names, of course, but my kids seem to go by whether they like something more than what label is inside it. Which is pretty much what I do, so no surprise there.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Reminds me of a situation from a couple of years ago. Neighbor girl playing with my daughter (3rd graders) outside of our house slips and falls in the mud/dirt gets soiled. Her parents weren't at home, so my wife offers her one of my daughter's outfits to wear so she doesn't have to go around wet/muddy the rest of the afternoon. I think it was a pair of shorts/t-shirt from target or something like that. The first words out of the neighbor girl's mouth were, "I usually wear Justice clothes but I guess this will work".

I had months worth of teachable moments out of that incident. Unfortunately it opened both my daughter and wife's eyes to Justice, so now they spend way too much money there
Hahahahaha! You know her parents taught her that nonsense.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My boys (middle and high school) are definitely athletic shoe conscious, of course some of that is they are athletes so have the constant reinforcement from watching sports on TV. Not to the point of being bullied, but they have had several "What are those...." moments if they showed up in non-Nike or a the kind of Nike shoe that their dad would fund. Their solution is to have their mom take them shopping, who is more concerned with happiness and checking items off a list than value.
I will buy an expensive pair of shoes if they are made very well and will last until the kid outgrows them.

But, poorly made and expensive? Nope. I don't care whose name is on it.

My middle kid was in a slow growth period and got nearly 2 years out of a pair of Pumas between 8th and 9th grade. Score!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:07 PM

342 posts, read 388,106 times
Jack Rogers are very popular at our school. Many girls have them as well as real Ugs. Most kids that I see in carpool are wearing north face jackets as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary