Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's premature for the community to be protesting? The investigation has barely started and they're making the officer out to be the bad guy. He may very well be for all we know, or he could have been defending his life. If the guy did threaten the officer I hardly think that's a reason for protesting. Is there more information about the case that I haven't read?
The pendulum of public opinions swings in two directions. We've gone from a place where police actions were rarely questioned to one where they are always questioned. And just like it was wrong to automatically assume the victim got what they deserved, it's wrong to automatically assume the police officer overreacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Cop doing his job. Move on to next post. This is non sense.

By the way Raleigh Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown looks like Officer Laverne Hooks in the 1984 move The Police Academy. Personality of her too. Let me google that for you
Wrong! It's not a police officer's job to kill suspected criminals. While the way, way, way vast majority of law enforcement professionals are honest, sensible and well-trained, we've learned over the past few years that there are more than a few who are no better than the criminals they're supposed to be stopping.

This incident needs to be investigated and facts gathered so that an informed conclusion can be reached.

The day society simply shrugs off the loss of life by violent means as the cost of doing business is a very sad day indeed.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM

545 posts, read 594,709 times
It's always the ones with the rap sheet that's about 6 feet long! Of course if his criminal activity was drug related only, heck just let him run free so he continue to sell in his run down "hood"!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The pendulum of public opinions swings in two directions. We've gone from a place where police actions were rarely questioned to one where they are always questioned. And just like it was wrong to automatically assume the victim got what they deserved, it's wrong to automatically assume the police officer overreacted.
^^This.^^

The investigation will show in time what happened. I think that these events also highlight the benefits of having police officers wear body cameras.

While I am a middle class white dude and may have a totally different experience than other groups, I do find the police here to be more relaxed and less "rambo-like" than I've seen with in other cities.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
It doesn't matter how long his rap sheet was or what his record is. Simply running away from the police has never been and should never be an act that gets you killed in this country. It should add at least an extra charge (or a more) once you're caught, but just running away doesn't mean you get shot and killed.

We don't know yet if the officer was being threatened with deadly force or felt in danger for his life. If and when those details emerge, that could change things but from what we know at this point that's not clear and we should all reserve judgement until then.

Unfortunately, as with many of these cases, it's probably going to be difficult to figure out exactly what happened which just complicates things further as the testimony of the officer and eye witnesses will be questioned over and over again. It's also unfortunate that this happened at the same time the City was supposed to be discussing having officers wear body cameras. I know body cameras are not a 100% solution, but it seems they would've helped in a situation like this.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I find it hard to have sympathy for anyone of any color that live their lives on the wrong side of the law.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I find it hard to have sympathy for anyone of any color that live their lives on the wrong side of the law.
Sympathy? He's DEAD. He's not in jail for life, he's not wearing an ankle monitor, he's not on probation, not in a rehab facility, not doing community service or whatever else. He's DEAD.

Since when is being DEAD without first involving a trial ok in this country? It doesn't matter what side of the law he was on. Being killed, especially in this way, is not an appropriate punishment.

IIRC, the death penalty is only applied in cases of the most heinous of crimes and even then only done in certain states after a lengthy court trial and multiple appeals which is required by law. None of the crimes he was previously convicted of warrant the death penalty and certainly none of them are serious enough to deny him life.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Sympathy? He's DEAD. He's not in jail for life, he's not wearing an ankle monitor, he's not on probation, not in a rehab facility, not doing community service or whatever else. He's DEAD.

Exactly!!!!!! Now there is no burden on the taxpayer to pay for his food shelter and clothing while in prison.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly!!!!!! Now there is no burden on the taxpayer to pay for his food shelter and clothing while in prison.
You've got to be kidding. Or sarcasm? Please tell me this is sarcasm.

If not, this is terribly disturbing. "It's too expensive to keep him alive" is an appalling argument. Why don't we just have the death penalty for everything then? Destroy all the jails and just have firing squads. Don't pay child support? Death. Caught with 1/2 a gram of cocaine? Death. Too many speeding tickets? Death. Steal a bike? Death. Get in a bar brawl? Death. Bamboozle people out of money? Death.

Sounds ridiculous because it is.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
You've got to be kidding. Or sarcasm? Please tell me this is sarcasm.

If not, this is terribly disturbing. "It's too expensive to keep him alive" is an appalling argument. Why don't we just have the death penalty for everything then? Destroy all the jails and just have firing squads. Don't pay child support? Death. Caught with 1/2 a gram of cocaine? Death. Too many speeding tickets? Death. Steal a bike? Death. Get in a bar brawl? Death. Bamboozle people out of money? Death.

Sounds ridiculous because it is.

Still no sympathy.

Why did he run? Just stop and face the consequences. Simple solution.

I don't understand why people care so much about other people they don't know, when those people decide they don't want to follow the rules of society. If he had simply stopped he would not have been chased and shot. Not too difficult to grasp that concept.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:01 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people care so much about other people they don't know, when those people decide they don't want to follow the rules of society. If he had simply stopped he would not have been chased and shot. Not too difficult to grasp that concept.
Because that person is you or me. I don't understand why you would give no care to one person breaking the law, but seem to give another person a free pass? If the guy was running away, he was not an imenant threat. If the police officer used deadly force for a bad reason, then he is just as guilty for his crime as the perp was for his.

Why is it so hard to understand that living in a police state, where officers can shoot and kill with no consequences is no better than living in a criminal state, where dealers and gangsters can rule the street.

Why do you condemn one crime, and blindly accept the other? Until we have facts, we don't even know who is in the wrong, yet you've written the death sentence to one and pardoned the other.... Way to crap all over our constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary