Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 06:36 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I would suggest taking eyewitness testimony with a grain of salt. To put it mildly. The vast majority would never side with the police under any circumstance.

Hopefully the autopsy will shed some light on what really happened.
I'm sure they'll look at everything.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM

51 posts, read 78,604 times
Whenever I see a news like this, I wonder why a cop has to use a gun to kill instead firing at, maybe, his arm or leg to incapacitate. I am sure they are trained to aim very well even during emergency situations like this. Am I missing something?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rythemdevi View Post
Whenever I see a news like this, I wonder why a cop has to use a gun to kill instead firing at, maybe, his arm or leg to incapacitate. I am sure they are trained to aim very well even during emergency situations like this. Am I missing something?
Really?
Have you ever shot a gun?
After running and jumping a fence?
It's not that simple or easy.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM

510 posts, read 898,406 times
Quote:
it's real life, not the movies. the torso is the largest target=highest probability. Just because you're a cop doesn't mean you're a good shot; plus given the situation-foot chase, you're out of breath, adrenaline. lot's of factors. Point shoot situation you want to go for the hi probability shot

and you can die from a gun shot wound to the leg--femoral artery

Last edited by fvncresident04; 03-01-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:35 PM

875 posts, read 1,159,466 times
Well, here we go. The protests have started already. The actual headline is "Raleigh officer-involved shooting sparks protest, demands for justice" but WRAL hasn't changed the URL yet:

Raleigh officer-involved shooting sparks protest, demands for justice :: WRAL.com

Notice one of the pictures of a group of people doing the "hands up don't shoot" pose. The agitators have already defined the narrative and the RPD will suffer because of it.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, I also think that they'll take eyewitness testimony and the testimony of the officer and his partner into account as well.
Being that the shooting took place in the 'hood and given that I grew up in the same 'hood I can assure you only a handful of folks will talk and it's highly doubtful they'll talk the truth if the truth is the assailant pointed his gun at the police. Just sayin'.

Quote:
You obviously have never handled a gun much less shot one. If you did you'd understand it's darn near impossible to hit something as narrow as a leg on a moving object.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Being that the shooting took place in the 'hood and given that I grew up in the same 'hood I can assure you only a handful of folks will talk and it's highly doubtful they'll talk the truth if the truth is the assailant pointed his gun at the police. Just sayin'.

You obviously have never handled a gun much less shot one. If you did you'd understand it's darn near impossible to hit something as narrow as a leg on a moving object.
First part: well, the original story was about how his mom heard he was shot in the back multiple times, yet she had not seen what happened and someone neglected to post any references to his FB page that shows his gang affiliation, so I see your point.

Second part: one always aims center...greatest chance of a hit and less chance of harming bystanders with stray bullets.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Second part: one always aims center...greatest chance of a hit and less chance of harming bystanders with stray bullets.
True. But being a well-trained avid shooter I can attest how tough it is to hit something so narrow. We are not even factoring in the distance of the shot the officer made. I'm telling ya, unless you watch it in Hollywood it's a helluva shot.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
True. But being a well-trained avid shooter I can attest how tough it is to hit something so narrow. We are not even factoring in the distance of the shot the officer made. I'm telling ya, unless you watch it in Hollywood it's a helluva shot.
I know. I'm a good shot and I'd have a tough time hitting a moving target in a high-stress situation.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 AM

51 posts, read 78,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Really?
Have you ever shot a gun?
After running and jumping a fence?
It's not that simple or easy.
You're right. I never shot a gun so I was wondering.
Thanks everyone for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.