Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 12:46 PM

115 posts, read 135,549 times

Advertisements

My kiddo is at Apex Middle, which feeds into both Apex High School and Apex Friendship.

We are going to be moving over the summer, and are looking at houses in both areas. Kiddo has friends going to both schools, so she's neutral on which school we go to.

We went to Apex HS's open house, but we weren't able to go to Friendship's, unfortunately.

We would love to hear from Friendship parents about how they and their teens feel about the school.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 06:57 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
I don't have kids, so don't follow this exactly, but I think that Apex High is scheduled for renovation soon and that all the kids will be shifted to a different (brand new) high school for a year or two while Apex is being renovated. Then they will shift back. That may mean more transit time than you are planning, but the kids will stay together through it all.

Meanwhile, Apex Friendship is already a new school and receives tons of accolades about it's programs and principal.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 AM

I'm aware of the renovations at Apex High. I'm really wanting parental feedback from people who have kids at the school.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 AM

341 posts, read 297,351 times
Don't know but there was a shooting right across from it few weeks back and another one about 6 months before that.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Don't know but there was a shooting right across from it few weeks back and another one about 6 months before that.
It was a Domestic incident. Those happen literally everywhere, even in high end neighborhoods. Trust me, it has nothing to do with the school or area it's in.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
It was a Domestic incident. Those happen literally everywhere, even in high end neighborhoods. Trust me, it has nothing to do with the school or area it's in.
Indeed. Most of the development out there are half million dollar homes, I'm not too worried it's a rough neighborhood.

hehe.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM

25 posts, read 114,205 times
I have a son who is a senior at Apex and a daughter who is a freshman at Apex Friendship. For me, the difference is night and day. Matt White who was the Apex principal and is now the Friendship principal was able to hand pick the teachers at Friendship and, at least for me, it shows. There are some great teachers and staff at both schools but I think the excitement of a new beginning created a level of energy that has made Friendship an exciting place to be for students and teachers. Hopefully, with Apex moving to a new building next year they will experience the same re-energization.

There are also more opportunities in sports, music, theater, clubs, etc because there are fewer upper classman to compete with, at least until the 17/18 class year when the current sophomores become seniors.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:36 PM

386 posts, read 436,887 times
I've got a freshman at AFHS and have been generally very impressed with everything. It's pulling from areas with a lot of families and involved parents, so you should feel "safe" knowing that parents will hold the school to high standards, as best they can. Seems like a reasonable selection of classes for a school with only two grade levels at this point. I do have the sense that the true value of the Academy of Engineering is a little overblown, but that's just anecdotal from parents and kids I know in the program.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:12 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
I've got a freshman at AFHS and have been generally very impressed with everything. It's pulling from areas with a lot of families and involved parents, so you should feel "safe" knowing that parents will hold the school to high standards, as best they can. Seems like a reasonable selection of classes for a school with only two grade levels at this point. I do have the sense that the true value of the Academy of Engineering is a little overblown, but that's just anecdotal from parents and kids I know in the program.
Good to know. My son has applied to AOE for next year, and I received good feedback from the AFHS Facebook site from the few parents that responded. I do like the idea of a smaller group to work with, I think my son could benefit from this.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:35 PM

386 posts, read 436,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Good to know. My son has applied to AOE for next year, and I received good feedback from the AFHS Facebook site from the few parents that responded. I do like the idea of a smaller group to work with, I think my son could benefit from this.
That can definitely be a good thing. Some friends of ours have a daughter who hasn't been able to connect closely yet with good friends in the smaller group, so she's concerned about the next four years as they really keep those groups bunched in classes together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary