Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times

Advertisements

if you go to Wake County iMAPS City of Raleigh and Wake County iMAPS you can get a rough estimate of where the right of way easements are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford06905 View Post
I did not had a survey done, as the builder indicated it is not an requirement and I did not knew at that time it was an critical document
now I may have to go for an survey using 3rd party and get things done.
You cannot do anything. If there's an easement (and I bet money there is), there is zero you can do.

But, a survey is nice to have.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:41 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
At least you're not paying for the sidewalk to be put in, I assume. There have been cases where developers conveniently overlooked the sidewalk requirement and then a municipality had the sidewalks installed later at homeowners' expense.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:20 PM

323 posts, read 377,147 times
Quote:
I did not had a survey done, as the builder indicated it is not an requirement and I did not knew at that time it was an critical document
now I may have to go for an survey using 3rd party and get things done.
The reason it wasn't indicated that it is a critical document is because builders don't want anything to come up that might scare you away. They'd happily sell you a lot that's entirely undevelopable, then point to the closing documents where you initialed saying you understand what you're buying.

Consider that when you buy property, the survey is what tells you what you're buying. It's kind of like buying a car, looking at the outside of it, and not any of the documentation that tells you the facts, or being allowed to have a mechanic look things over.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:08 PM

79 posts, read 115,371 times
Spoke to Town of Cary and they agreed to have the sidewalk moved to the other side of the road. Builder need to file an amendment and with new drawing submitted.
Not sure where I can track the progress of the submission and approval of this amendment.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:22 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Didn't you say you were in a culdesac?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Didn't you say you were in a culdesac?
Yes, it is culdesac, and the other side of the culdesac is stormwater hole to catch rainwater. So when we spoke to town and put the thing in front of them that the side walk was at length on the other side of the road all along, and just at the culdesacarea it jumps to this side of the road, and why not have it moved to the stormwater side of the culdesac, so that it does bother anyone, and they quickly checked the grade of the soil and indicated there is no reason why it cannot be done, and indicated if a simple amendment is filed, they can consider and approve it. builder has to file the amendment and with updated drawing. Builder also spoke to town planners and town inspectors and got same response and they said will move forward with amendment.

Do anyone know how to track such amendments progress online ?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Yes, it is culdesac, and the other side of the culdesac is stormwater hole to catch rainwater. So when we spoke to town and put the thing in front of them that the side walk was at length on the other side of the road all along, and just at the culdesacarea it jumps to this side of the road, and why not have it moved to the stormwater side of the culdesac, so that it does bother anyone, and they quickly checked the grade of the soil and indicated there is no reason why it cannot be done, and indicated if a simple amendment is filed, they can consider and approve it. builder has to file the amendment and with updated drawing. Builder also spoke to town planners and town inspectors and got same response and they said will move forward with amendment.

Do anyone know how to track such amendments progress online ?
I'm sure someone else can answer your last question, OP.

I hope the sidewalk move won't hurt more than it helps when people decide to sell their homes. I say this only because a sidewalk in front of a retention pond invites foot traffic to the retention pond. Some people won't buy near those in the first place. Especially with young children.

Just a possibility to keep in mind. Maybe yours is fenced and that makes it less of an issue.

I'm glad you got this sorted to your liking. You're the first person I've ever spoken to that had the town NOT put in a sidewalk where they planned to.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Finally the sidewalk revisions got approved and work started on other side
Pretty fast response from town.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
I get the impression (from my plat) that it's not even an easement. Sometimes you don't actually own the property close to the road it's part of the right of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary