Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 AM

514 posts, read 602,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasK919 View Post
I'll definitely start looking into it. In NJ going back at this point of my career is impossible and the nepotism is rampant. I don't know too much about the system down in Raleigh. Are things done more honestly? Or is public education public education wherever you go?
I think the administration and bureaucracy tends to frustrate people in the public school systems everywhere. People naturally prefer to helps other they like. I don't know that it is the same, though. We have an influx almost annually. The salaries and hourly rate chase many teachers away, so they are always looking. Those factors make it more difficult to not accept transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
The trouble with going back to teaching is that I'm already in the system 13 years which for most districts is at or near the top of their salary guides. With budgets constraints what they are (at least up here), it would be tough for any district to justify paying me $20-$30k more a year when they have their pick of the litter with kids fresh out of college that can start on Step 1. I'm trying to get out of the car business. Despite the upward mobility and potential for making real good $$ I just don't want the life of a car salesman. I work about 60 hours now and much of my income is predicated on customer surveys. We literally make on average $100-$200 (flats) on car deals and make the bulk of our money in bonuses when we move a certain number of units for the month.
I don't blame you for wanting out if the car business. But finding a job you WANT will be much easier when you are a local. The car gig would get you moved and settled, giving you a much better shot at the jobs you want.

Businesses are not anxious to hure peooke BEFORE they have relocated.

Another strong suggestion : Rent until you find that 'dream job'. Make it easy to move to keep your commute reasonable.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:28 PM

122 posts, read 98,270 times
Quote:
Yeah I saw the salary guides online...obviously substantially different than NJ, but it's all relative. My house in NJ is approximately $200k less in the RTP area. I always email the building Principals after I apply to introduce myself and one of them was kind enough to email me back mentioning that the area has a lot of Ed Leadership people. My assumption was that if there is an abundance of Principal and VP candidates than teaching is probably much worse.

Anyone know much about the Research Triangle Academy Charter School? I just applied there figuring maybe Charter schools would be the way to go.
If you are qualified to teach at charter schools (sorry I don't know anything about qualifications needed to teach in lower education) then you could apply to Cardinal Charter Academy, in Cary. I know they were hiring not so long ago.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I'll definitely start looking into it. In NJ going back at this point of my career is impossible and the nepotism is rampant. I don't know too much about the system down in Raleigh. Are things done more honestly? Or is public education public education wherever you go?
If you're used to NJ, the main difference in NC is that school districts are, with a tiny number of exceptions, at the COUNTY level, not every little town having its own. Wake county (where Raleigh, Cary and other transplant magnets are) has something like 160,000 students in the system, I think the 15th largest in the US, governed by one school board of 9 people. This has resulted in lots of chaos regarding reassignment, since schools become overcrowded very fast (with such explosive growth) and they have to reassign to other schools to balance it out until a new one if built, etc.

Anyone considering teaching here should go to the WCPSS (Wake County Public School System) website and read up on it, including Charter schools. Also, you should read articles in the NC forum about the state of teaching in NC right now. This article was just in the paper the other day. On the one hand, it means there are teaching jobs, but on the other hand, it is because teachers are fed up and leaving the state or the profession. Much to consider.

Is Raleigh the only place you are considering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary