Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many wrecks have you seen living in the Triangle?
0 accidents 4 12.50%
1 wreck 8 25.00%
2 crashes 1 3.13%
3 aqccidents 1 3.13%
4 or more 18 56.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
About 15 years ago, I paused in a left lane rather than blocked an intersection.
Waved to a nice lady, who pulled through directly in front of an oncoming car in the right lane.
She thought my wave was for both lanes. I assumed she would pull in front of me and look, but she didn't.

I don't do that any more.
The other accident I witnessed was somewhat similar, but with no waving. I was traveling south on Erwin toward Cameron Blvd., Erwin is a 5-lane road there with a middle turning lane. I was at the intersection/opening to the Duke Center for Living in the right hand lane, and not wanting to block the intersection if someone wanted to turn into the place.

There were no cars in the left hand lane next to me. Well someone was pulling out of there, wanting to go north on Erwin, and I thought there were going to slowly ease out to maybe the middle turning lane and wait there until it was clear, they didn't and decided to "gun it" and out of nowhere a car traveling north on Erwin clips the right front of the car pulling out and cause that car to spin around with glass and plastic going everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Really? I do not think the drivers here are aggressive at all. I'm constantly shocked at how many drivers will let me into their lane
Not sure how you define aggressive driving but yes , there is a lot of it here. As I said, the constant tailgating on and off the interstates, cutting off and being cut off, multiple drivers quickly weaving in and out of small spaces with no blinkers, very fast drivers, etc. I see it every day, on every road. I learned to drive in New Jersey and Brooklyn, for reference.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Not sure how you define aggressive driving but yes , there is a lot of it here. As I said, the constant tailgating on and off the interstates, cutting off and being cut off, multiple drivers quickly weaving in and out of small spaces with no blinkers, very fast drivers, etc. I see it every day, on every road. I learned to drive in New Jersey and Brooklyn, for reference.
I hardly ever see any of this. 40 is really the only place I see this happen and its really not that bad. Every other highway people seem to be driving slowly and letting people into lanes without issue. Very rarely is anyone tailgating or blowing by me on the road

Old 03-07-2016, 10:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
I hardly ever see any of this. 40 is really the only place I see this happen and its really not that bad. Every other highway people seem to be driving slowly and letting people into lanes without issue. Very rarely is anyone tailgating or blowing by me on the road
I don't believe you.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Every time I drive in the area I witness the type of driving he is referring to. Very stubborn, unyielding and worst of all - unpredictable drivers.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Every time I drive in the area I witness the type of driving he is referring to. Very stubborn, unyielding and worst of all - unpredictable drivers.
Since you have historical knowledge of this area, would you say it's always been like this, or that the behaviors described have increased as the area has become more crowded?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
About 15 years ago, I paused in a left lane rather than blocked an intersection.
Waved to a nice lady, who pulled through directly in front of an oncoming car in the right lane.
She thought my wave was for both lanes. I assumed she would pull in front of me and look, but she didn't.

I don't do that any more.
Those are the most frequent accidents that I've seen - I don't leave gaps for people anymore. If they want to turn left in heavy traffic, they should just go up to a signal and make a u-turn.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:53 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I don't believe you.
Ok....

Old 03-07-2016, 02:42 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Like everything, the "offenders" always stick out like a sore thumb. We forget though that there are thousands more on the roads who are good drivers so as a whole, while we encounter bad drivers pretty often, we're not as bad driving-wise as it may seem.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:47 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I have a 25-30 min commute using 540 toll, 40 east to 440 around the beltline. I go west to east in the morning and east to west in the evening. Sometimes, I take 540 all the way around from west Cary to Knightdale.

I see an accident almost everyday! Of course, some of them are rear-ending crashes, but they still look like it did a lot of damage and what a headache to deal with in the morning before work! People are ridiculous when they drive, swerving in and out and only watching the car in front of them. Therefore, they are not planning at all for the road ahead of them. Sometimes I wonder when I'll become that statistic, but I drive the speed limit, try not to change lanes all the time and find myself CONSTANTLY scanning the rearview mirror and side mirrors for what the traffic is doing around me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary