Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes, sorry, I missed the 5 years or less portion. That explains why the OP was having trouble.
Meh, that's still new to me!

Everyone has to make choices. New house or the school you want for your kid who is moving across the country, to me it's a no brainer. Oh, well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:14 PM

27 posts, read 77,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Meh, that's still new to me!

Everyone has to make choices. New house or the school you want for your kid who is moving across the country, to me it's a no brainer. Oh, well.
yeah, completely agree. Especially for someone coming from California ,where newer houses means <20 yr old . My main priority is school and neighborhood right now. Older house are Ok if they are in that range.

I have another question,
I was reading this forum and it seems West Cary/Apex properties are in great demand. How is the resale process over there? Over here its brutal with all cash offers, no contingency, over bidding etc. Is over bidding common there in popular areas? what about inspection and contingency? I should not compare California with NC but just trying to set the expectation for overall process.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillicon_brain View Post
yeah, completely agree. Especially for someone coming from California ,where newer houses means <20 yr old . My main priority is school and neighborhood right now. Older house are Ok if they are in that range.

I have another question,
I was reading this forum and it seems West Cary/Apex properties are in great demand. How is the resale process over there? Over here its brutal with all cash offers, no contingency, over bidding etc. Is over bidding common there in popular areas? what about inspection and contingency? I should not compare California with NC but just trying to set the expectation for overall process.
Yes, west Cary and Apex is also a very hot market.
Multiple bids the first day are not uncommon, and sales over list price are not uncommon. We have cash offers, but most buyers are financing.
Everyone has an inspection; repair negotiations are common.

We have a "Due Diligence" period, a negotiable period that usually is 21--30 days, which includes all contingencies such as appraisal, inspections, repair negotiations, survey, HOA investigation.

A contingency to sell another property would be separate, and weakens an offer as most other buyers don't need it. But, they still happen sometimes, if the offer is strong in other terms.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,523,941 times
Rehabs run $15+ for a kitchen and $7K plus minus for baths. New HVAC runs $7K. Painting and wallpaper inside and out runs less than $15K. So you can redo for $50K.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,549 times
We moved to highcroft last June and our daughter is a 5th grader. They told us we were capped out and we're wait list #65 but she got in! This was the case for another family that moved onto our street a month after us as well. I was very surprised when our yellow assignment card said mills park!

Last edited by carriee; 03-09-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriee View Post
We moved to highcroft last June and our daughter is a 5th grader. They told us we were capped out and we're wait list #65 but she got in! This was the case for another family that moved onto our street a month after us as well. I was very surprised when our yellow assignment card said mills park!
You moved in before this year's cap date.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,549 times
Maybe I don't quite get how it works but, in October, they were telling me west Cary and then we got Mills Park.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 PM

27 posts, read 77,899 times
Where they send overflow student from Mills Park Middle school? is it going to Salem/Davis Drive or all across the Wake County?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM

4,298 posts, read 5,964,772 times
I believe the primary overflow for Mills Park MS is West Cary.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:48 AM

I think they moved enough kids out of MPMS by putting Brier Creek in the new MS and Breckenridge to WCMS to allow people who were in the base zone before the cap date to go to MPMS. For people looking at housing NOW, I would not count on sliding right into MPMS. At this point, they are probably going to wait to see who actually shows up next year. Don't forget, as I posted earlier, when they lose students they lose faculty. In Wake County it is a numbers game - you get "x" amount of staff for "x" amount of students. If your child attends a capped or crowded school, ask them about the data manager coming around and doing a head count in every single class for the first 10 days of school - they do that so they can go to the county and say "here's exactly how many kids we have" and if they are able, they can add staff.
Mills Park probably lost a couple hundred kids when they changed the base zones, but their principal made it clear that dropping their numbers of students also meant dropping their numbers of staff.

The overflow for MPMS is usually West Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary