Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:27 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

I think it's pretty hard to teach for 90 minutes straight. My DS has push in help for his classes so I'm not entirely sure what goes on in honors and AP classes, but my guess is a combination of what previous posters have stated is probably true.

One other thing - you never know where a teacher is coming from. My youngest has the same 6th grade math teacher that her older sibling had. They are similar math students (eerily their EOG scores are always nearly identical). She is having a MUCH easier time than her brother did. When he was in 6th grade it was the first year of common core math and I got the impression that all of the math teachers struggled with the new curriculum. Three years later perhaps they have settled in.

If your student has teachers that are new to the curriculum for whatever reason it may be difficult to teach it.

And one of the reasons GHHS is a successful school is because the parents and the kids generally have extremely high expectations. That's a whole other topic for discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
I have three that are attending GHHS for the first time this year. All three are very different - two of them are actually in the same period math class together (MathIII Honors). When speaking to both, it is night and day how they perceive the teacher, the work, and what is due for homework. So it could be how your child learns and perceives. That said, the school experience here is very different from where we came and has been a learning experience for all of us.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:56 PM

141 posts, read 163,105 times
If it helps, I actually attended GHHS recently (graduated in June 2013). Like you mentioned, it is the top public HS in the state. That doesn't mean though it doesn't have the flaws every other high school has. I had teachers EXACTLY like the one you described above while attending GHHS. When I went to GHHS, some teachers that taught there had tenure, and used that as an excuse to be lazy, and they stopped giving a crap about how they teach. How it got top HS in the safe is a mystery to me, but on the plus side, the teachers that actually do teach and do care at this school are awesome! A lot of help and support is available at this school as well, from clubs to tutoring to peer support to you name it!

Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Keep in mind, even at a good high school, there are many teachers, and some are certainly better than others, and there are likely one or two poor ones.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
If it helps, I actually attended GHHS recently (graduated in June 2013). Like you mentioned, it is the top public HS in the state.
Your Source ?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
My experience is not at GHHS, but at Cary and I know we have been told that the teachers in HONORS and AP math classes are expected move very quickly through material and that they cover a new topic/lesson every day (they don't have time to revisit topics). If there is a disruption in their schedule, sometimes students at the honors level are expected to be resourceful and to fill in the blanks on their own if it's something the teacher feels they are capable of.
There is Khan academy, and smart lunch time to get additional help if the students need it.
Just my experience, I'd have your child visit the math teacher at Smart lunch, my child loves using this for extra one on one help!

Old 03-16-2016, 03:43 PM

218 posts, read 287,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Your Source ?
The former principal (Dr. Hedricks) stated that Green Hope High School was rated the number 1 high school in NC during the class of 2014 graduation ceremony.

I'm not sure if it is still ranked #1.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
The former principal (Dr. Hedricks) stated that Green Hope High School was rated the number 1 high school in NC during the class of 2014 graduation ceremony.

It's #12 according to US News......not that that means anything really.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Rankde 389 out of the top 1000 high schools in the USA by US News.

Green Hope High in CARY, NC | Best High Schools | US News

Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post

I bet it's based on percent proficient on state EOC tests. According to NC Report Cards, Green Hope had the highest percent proficient on EOC tests at the high school level in the Triangle for a regular, non-charter, non-admission based school. I'd guess that no other public base school in the state outside the Triangle had higher proficiency either.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...c-percent.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary