Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Perhaps the influx will stop soon and folks will take the media hypes for this area with a lot more than a grain of salt.

The safety net is a sick joke, so do not become unemployed here,
I doubt this will slow down, with more companies moving here.

I do agree that NC has a lousy safety net for the unemployed. Company severance packages are getting worse, too. This only adds to the problem if one becomes unemployed in NC.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnk9s View Post
I wouldn't discount the contract work. If you are trying to build a resume then getting the experience in contract work might help. Also, I have heard of several occasions where contract work turns into full time work. It's a good way to build a reference base and network in the industry if you are starting out. Worked in IT for years and have seen many a contractor extended for a good portion of time. It's a good foot in the door if you are between jobs and keeps your skill set growing without gaps in your resume. Good luck!!
I agree. There's nothing wrong with contract work.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:41 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I doubt this will slow down, with more companies moving here.

I do agree that NC has a lousy safety net for the unemployed. Company severance packages are getting worse, too. This only adds to the problem if one becomes unemployed in NC.
The faster a person drops off of unemployment, the faster the unemployment "numbers" go down.. The easier they can claim NC unemployment is "low"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The faster a person drops off of unemployment, the faster the unemployment "numbers" go down.. The easier they can claim NC unemployment is "low"...
Exactly. Good for "selling" NC. Bad for the citizenry.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:56 PM

628 posts, read 818,122 times
So what is this BS from corporations and gov't that they don't have enough qualified applicants to fill the roles? So many local people that need jobs, yet they keep getting outsourced or in-sourced via Visa programs.

Quote:
We have that here, too. It's hell to get a job at Red Hat or Citrix for that very reason. All the HR folks I know at most of the more desirable firms have hundreds of apps for every position that's remotely general. Niche stuff might be easier to get in without knowing at least one or two employees. You should network. Who do you know here? Do you know anyone who knows anyone here?

Use your network.

Repay the favor later.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
We have that here, too. It's hell to get a job at Red Hat or Citrix for that very reason. All the HR folks I know at most of the more desirable firms have hundreds of apps for every position that's remotely general. Niche stuff might be easier to get in without knowing at least one or two employees. You should network. Who do you know here? Do you know anyone who knows anyone here?

Use your network.

Repay the favor later.
Yeah but of those hundreds of apps, how many are actually qualified? The problem is people working in HR often have no clue how to decipher someone with legit experience versus someone who knows has to put a bunch of buzzwords on their resume, and lie about their experience (especially in tech).

It's not easy to find good talent. Sure a company may get 500 resumes for a resume, but that's because the internet makes it too easy to fire off resume after resume after resume. Those desperate for a job may not even read a job description, and possibly 90% of those resumes should be tossed in the trash.

What it comes down to is, if you're good at what you do, you have the experience to prove it, and are good at interviewing, then you won't have an issue getting a job anywhere. I don't believe it's true that you need to know people to find a job. Having a network definitely is a plus, but not a requirement.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 PM

628 posts, read 818,122 times
I would have to disagree with you on that; at least in my market. Having working with a fortune 500 company in Business Intelligence and HR Analystics before, I'd say that the majority of the applications I've seen were qualified to the do job. Maybe about 1/3 of them were extremely strong. It was however a policy of the company to prefer internal candidates or employee referrals vs outside ones in many departments though (our metrics showed that those pools had less turnover, better success, and often didn't demand outrageous salaries.) The only time we went external is if we needed someone with a niche skill that couldn't be found regionally.

Last edited by harrishawke; 03-20-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
So what is this BS from corporations and gov't that they don't have enough qualified applicants to fill the roles? So many local people that need jobs, yet they keep getting outsourced or in-sourced via Visa programs.
Cheaper labor. Labor that cannot quit easily for a better job or more money.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree with you on that; at least in my market. Having working with a fortune 500 company in Business Intelligence and HR Analystics before, I'd say that the majority of the applications I've seen were qualified to the do job. Maybe about 1/3 of them were extremely strong. It was however a policy of the company to prefer internal candidates or employee referrals vs outside ones in many departments though (our metrics showed that those pools had less turnover, better success, and often didn't demand outrageous salaries.) The only time we went external is if we needed someone with a niche skill that couldn't be found regionally.
Yes, my federal agency and friends' state agencies many times posted externally for jobs that were planned to be filled internally.

These were required by HR rules and no real attempt was made to use the externals unless nobody inside qualified or applied.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Interesting, but I can't imagine it would eclipse technology talent from Silicon Valley. I mean 'Research Triangle' isn't even a household name yet. Yes UNC and all those other schools are good, but the Bay Area great schools as well. They recruit talent from UC Berkeley, Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT and other tech feeders.
You asked what the job market are like, numerous people are telling you "Quite competitive", and yet you continue to disbelieve them.

Why did you ask in the first place?

Frankly, it really depends in the specific skills you have--"computer/business" is probably useful anywhere in the country, but RTP has a lot of very specific skills, like CRO, where you'd have a higher chance of getting hired.

Yes, recruiters hire almost always for contract or contract-to-hire positions. But that's how to get a foot in the door somewhere and is a trait of the modern job market, where it is harder and harder to fire a permanent employee, so companies want to be sure they are pleased with someone before hiring them on FT.

And yes, "Research Triangle" most definitely IS a household name. Are you not aware that the Raleigh-Cary metro was the #1 fastest-growing in the US in the 2010 Census? I think you need to do a lot more research. Check job in for your specific skill set and see what the outlook for them is; the "job market" in general varies quite a bit by particular job. Even "IT" consists of so many skillsets that you can't even really say "it's a good/bad 'IT' market" without knowing what skills and experience.

I would start hooking up with recruiters via LinkedIN--Piper and Robert Half are two that do a lot of local IT placement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary