Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times

Advertisements

Just curious where you are getting those school ratings from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:30 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Just curious where you are getting those school ratings from.
Greatschools.com. Its really useful at identifying schools with student bodies comprised largely of asian/caucasian, upper middle class, educated households, but too many people take it as gospel. Its about as useful as a zestimate.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah we all know commutes and traffic in other places are worse. Along with the pizza/bagels/bbq/regional restaurant discussions, I wish this statement would crop up less often. But for the Triangle, I believe 37 miles one way is at the top range of what most people have every day (though I know some have longer trips, obviously). For example, downtown Raleigh to UNC Hospital is 27 miles and that's considered by many to be a long commute around here. And, since we're talking about the Triangle, it's entirely relevant to say that it's a pretty long commute so I'll stand by it and not try to qualify it in comparison to anywhere else that anyone else has lived or experienced.
I agreed with you. I mean, I won't drive thirty minutes to Zebulon for a Mudcats game, and it's entirely highway driving to boot. I'm also the guy who won't leave the office until 6:00 pm because I'd rather work an extra hour than sit in traffic.

Just the same, it makes me laugh how we evaluate these things so differently 'round here.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:40 AM

342 posts, read 388,157 times
I live in Heritage and wanted to weigh in. I just checked Great Schools and Heritage High is a 6 and Heritage Middle is a 10.

Both my kids have attended Heritage Elementary and Middle and they are FANTASTIC, especially Heritage Middle. Both are regarded as some of the best schools in this area. The Middle School is a really special place, especially for this crazy time of kids lives. The principal is phenomenal and the teachers really care. I've never seen so many examples of people from the receptionist to teachers to administrative going above and beyond. The one time I had a problem and involved the principal, I heard from him within 2 hours and he had already talked to everyone involved. By noon the problem was resolved and I had a phone call from my daughter's IEP coordinator and apologies from the two teachers who weren't aware of her IEP accommodations (it was the third week of school).

I know many people that go to the high school and my daughter will be there next year. I have heard great things about the school and the principal is fantastic. It is generally regarded as the school in this area that parents WANT to send their kids. Other than the usual high school stuff and maybe a little more cliques than other schools such as Wake Forest High, I have heard absolutely nothing but great things. The school is very active, lots of plays, sports, clubs. And there are many AP classes, etc. There is even a very cool Gaming and Art Academy that my daughter is applying for.

People actually move to this area because the Wake Forest schools are fantastic and even if you are rezoned (which hasn't happened), there really are no bad schools. So it was surprising to see that you were thinking of not moving to the Heritage area because of the schools. Wake Forest Middle used to be one people avoided, but they got new admin and I am now hearing great things.

I am almost completely positive that the slight difference in the schools is not related to anything about the quality of education but the seo-economic make up. The free reduced lunch percentage at Heritage High is 27 percent while Panther creek is 12 percent. While Heritage is not a super high FRL school, it is still is more than double than Panther Creek. Test scores are just one measure of a school and honestly test scores are more about the free reduced lunch percentage than anything about the school itself. Heritage pulls some kids from Capital BLVD up near Perry Creek area, which is a lower income area.

However, if you decide to move and want to get Heritage ES, Heritage Middle, Heritage High you need to be very careful where you look since only a very small area has that zoning. It is mainly the section in Heritage on the golf course plus the apartments and Magestic Oaks. The area of Heritage off Rogers past Harris Teeter on the right is zoned for Jones Dairy (which is also a good school, but doesn't have quite as good of a reputation as HES), Heritage Middle and Heritage High. Other neighborhoods around such as Bowling Green, North Hampton and Clear SPrings are I believe zoned to Jones Dairy as well. Bowling Green and North Hampton are zoned to Wake Forest High. But I would not in a million years base my housing decision on the high school zoning with a third grader. However, the Heritage all the way up section is where I would personally buy and did. It would be highly unlikely that section would get rezoned anywhere and if they did parents would organize like crazy to get that stopped. The Rolesville section of Heritage, down Rogers on the left by the playground is zoned I believe for all Rolesville schools, which I have heard good things about - ESPECIALLY the middle and better things that I used to about the elementary.

All of that to say that this area is an absolutely fantastic place to raise kids. I am so not a planned community person but there is such a village feel here and a feel of community. Everything you need is right here. For me living in this area compared to a 2 hour commute each day total would be a no brainer. I would buy in Heritage for both the amenities and the resale value and the schools.

Also, your husband is going the long way to this area especially in traffic even though he's going against it. Tell him to take 540 to 401 then take 401 to Forestville road (which is right past the Food Lion). Take a left, then take Forestville past Heritage High all the way to Rogers. MUCH faster.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I agreed with you. I mean, I won't drive thirty minutes to Zebulon for a Mudcats game, and it's entirely highway driving to boot. I'm also the guy who won't leave the office until 6:00 pm because I'd rather work an extra hour than sit in traffic.

Just the same, it makes me laugh how we evaluate these things so differently 'round here.
Sorry, I guess I just didn't read your post carefully enough. My bad.

I used to commute from far up in north Raleigh to Hillsborough every day (43 miles) for a year and it nearly killed me. Traffic was only a factor for part of my commute each way and even though I worked an early-ish schedule (7:30 - 4:30) it was still a nightmare because of the distance. Never again.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:12 AM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Greatschools.com. Its really useful at identifying schools with student bodies comprised largely of asian/caucasian, upper middle class, educated households, but too many people take it as gospel. Its about as useful as a zestimate.
That was what I figured. Which just strikes me as funny considering we had a thread going awhile ago about using that site as gospel.

OP- I'd move and be closer to work instead of dealing with a commute for years because the high school may or may not be "rated" as well as you'd like. You have no idea what things will be like by the time your child enters High school. The current school in Cary could be a "low rated" by then and the other school higher rated. They could build more schools and move kids around. Who knows. I would just rather live in the present and do what is best for the now.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM

53 posts, read 122,686 times
Thank you so much for the great suggestions. Also thank other people who put in great things here.
We will take all the information and consider carefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I live in Heritage and wanted to weigh in. I just checked Great Schools and Heritage High is a 6 and Heritage Middle is a 10.

Both my kids have attended Heritage Elementary and Middle and they are FANTASTIC, especially Heritage Middle. Both are regarded as some of the best schools in this area. The Middle School is a really special place, especially for this crazy time of kids lives. The principal is phenomenal and the teachers really care. I've never seen so many examples of people from the receptionist to teachers to administrative going above and beyond. The one time I had a problem and involved the principal, I heard from him within 2 hours and he had already talked to everyone involved. By noon the problem was resolved and I had a phone call from my daughter's IEP coordinator and apologies from the two teachers who weren't aware of her IEP accommodations (it was the third week of school).

I know many people that go to the high school and my daughter will be there next year. I have heard great things about the school and the principal is fantastic. It is generally regarded as the school in this area that parents WANT to send their kids. Other than the usual high school stuff and maybe a little more cliques than other schools such as Wake Forest High, I have heard absolutely nothing but great things. The school is very active, lots of plays, sports, clubs. And there are many AP classes, etc. There is even a very cool Gaming and Art Academy that my daughter is applying for.

People actually move to this area because the Wake Forest schools are fantastic and even if you are rezoned (which hasn't happened), there really are no bad schools. So it was surprising to see that you were thinking of not moving to the Heritage area because of the schools. Wake Forest Middle used to be one people avoided, but they got new admin and I am now hearing great things.

I am almost completely positive that the slight difference in the schools is not related to anything about the quality of education but the seo-economic make up. The free reduced lunch percentage at Heritage High is 27 percent while Panther creek is 12 percent. While Heritage is not a super high FRL school, it is still is more than double than Panther Creek. Test scores are just one measure of a school and honestly test scores are more about the free reduced lunch percentage than anything about the school itself. Heritage pulls some kids from Capital BLVD up near Perry Creek area, which is a lower income area.

However, if you decide to move and want to get Heritage ES, Heritage Middle, Heritage High you need to be very careful where you look since only a very small area has that zoning. It is mainly the section in Heritage on the golf course plus the apartments and Magestic Oaks. The area of Heritage off Rogers past Harris Teeter on the right is zoned for Jones Dairy (which is also a good school, but doesn't have quite as good of a reputation as HES), Heritage Middle and Heritage High. Other neighborhoods around such as Bowling Green, North Hampton and Clear SPrings are I believe zoned to Jones Dairy as well. Bowling Green and North Hampton are zoned to Wake Forest High. But I would not in a million years base my housing decision on the high school zoning with a third grader. However, the Heritage all the way up section is where I would personally buy and did. It would be highly unlikely that section would get rezoned anywhere and if they did parents would organize like crazy to get that stopped. The Rolesville section of Heritage, down Rogers on the left by the playground is zoned I believe for all Rolesville schools, which I have heard good things about - ESPECIALLY the middle and better things that I used to about the elementary.

All of that to say that this area is an absolutely fantastic place to raise kids. I am so not a planned community person but there is such a village feel here and a feel of community. Everything you need is right here. For me living in this area compared to a 2 hour commute each day total would be a no brainer. I would buy in Heritage for both the amenities and the resale value and the schools.

Also, your husband is going the long way to this area especially in traffic even though he's going against it. Tell him to take 540 to 401 then take 401 to Forestville road (which is right past the Food Lion). Take a left, then take Forestville past Heritage High all the way to Rogers. MUCH faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary