Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 03:17 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,519,435 times

Advertisements

Where in the area can I park my car and go for a hike/brisk walk through some woods, but not on marked trails or anything, with little people? Without getting picked up for trespassing/towed? The hillier the better, or any areas where there is no vehicle noise

Last edited by LordHelmit; 03-16-2016 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 PM

514 posts, read 603,920 times
Something like Umstead, or less defined?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:32 PM

Less defined. I don't want to see trails basically. Just want to walk through some wilderness. I realize I might have to drive a bit. And that's fine. The less humans the better.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
Duke Forest comes to mind. Map here: http://dukeforest.duke.edu/files/201...stinglabel.jpg

The Korstian section gets fairly popular (not overrun or anything and you could certainly bushwhack your way around and avoid people). I don't think the Blackwood division has nearly as many folks that go to it (no creek).

You can also go to Carolina North, but you will probably see some folks. https://carolinanorthforest.unc.edu

And North Carolina Botanical Gardens has an extensive trail system in the woods, too. Might be more people than you like, but the further back you go the fewer people you see. North Carolina Botanical Garden / Gardens And Natural Areas

The Eno is another good place. http://www.ncparks.gov/eno-river-state-park

If you really wanna be alone you can go to Linville Gorge Wilderness, but don't get lost.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Duke Forest comes to mind. Map here: http://dukeforest.duke.edu/files/201...stinglabel.jpg

The Korstian section gets fairly popular (not overrun or anything and you could certainly bushwhack your way around and avoid people). I don't think the Blackwood division has nearly as many folks that go to it (no creek).

You can also go to Carolina North, but you will probably see some folks. https://carolinanorthforest.unc.edu

And North Carolina Botanical Gardens has an extensive trail system in the woods, too. Might be more people than you like, but the further back you go the fewer people you see. North Carolina Botanical Garden / Gardens And Natural Areas

The Eno is another good place. Eno River State Park | NC State Parks

If you really wanna be alone you can go to Linville Gorge Wilderness, but don't get lost.
Duke Forest sounds cool. I googled the Blackwood division but see on wikimapia it says it's closed to the public east of Old 86? that looks like most of it, honestly which is a shame because that looked like the best one to me, haha. I am down to try Dailey or Hillsboro though. Is the Eno crowded? I assume is can be, it seems like a pretty popular destination.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
I don't think the Eno is that crowded. I don't get over that way that much, but I think it's pretty mellow, really.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,546,457 times
Umstead is a real disappointment. They must have lumbered it since I was a kid. None of the trees are over 1.5' in diameter except for the ones on the creeks.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:14 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,265,104 times
Jordan Lake gamelands. Or any other gamelands. Wear blaze orange.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:22 PM

498 posts, read 855,540 times
We just spent 6 hours at Fews Ford (really about 120 paces to the right after crossing) at the Eno River with my three kids aged 5, 8, and 11. The water was a little much at the moment for my five-year-old, but she waded some and we all had fun.

There are lots of trails and I guess you could off the trail, but generally that's not the safest thing to do. We like using the river itself as the trail. Put on some life jackets and walk and float your way down.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:50 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,743,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Umstead is a real disappointment. They must have lumbered it since I was a kid. None of the trees are over 1.5' in diameter except for the ones on the creeks.
Hasn't been used for timber since probably the late 30's I don't think, before it became protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary