Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 PM

311 posts, read 172,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
. . . But the water issue is next, and will be expensive. . . inside basement masonry repairs, and exterior perimeter pump installed, all of which will be very expensive. . . - it's impossible to find someone who services our area.
We can recommend (highly!) Tar Heel Basement Systems. Can't say enough good about Them (and there are no end of sheisters out there!).

Best of Success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 PM

27 posts, read 33,094 times
We recently bought a home where the previous homeowner decided to install a complete waterproofing system on the basement. During the Due Diligence period, I pushed heavily on the previous homeowner to disclose all engineering and inspection permits of this project...mostly because my last 3 homes had basements and I learned a few things, the hard way! He willingly gave me all the info which I have summarized below.

The waterproofing work included:
  • Directly connecting all downspouts to drainpipes
  • Pullback of earth to expose exterior basement wall
  • Application of BITUTHENE membrane Bituthene® System 4000 | Powerhouse Building Solutions
  • French drain installed at the base of the BITUTHENE membrane, 4-6 feet underground
  • 100% of drains connected together to single/primary pipe to divert water off property to prevent flooding of yard (yard has high concentration of clay, like most places in triangle region...which means water pools during heavy rain)
  • Regrading 6 feet perimeter of entire house to pitch 1-2% away from foundation
  • Total cost was $20,000 in 2010, which probably means a job like this in 2017 would cost around $24,000 when adjusting for inflation.

The company was Groundwater Management Associates:
2205 Candun Dr # A, Apex, NC 27523
(919) 363-6310
GMA - The Groundwater Experts
Since the system was installed, previous homeowner reported ZERO water ingress. So far I can confirm the system is still working perfectly....I carefully watched the basement during tropical storms and it has been dry as a desert despite rainfall rates of 2 inches per hour.

Shame on the original builder of this house for not putting this type of system in place during construction. The clay-based earth in the Triangle region really mandates a Bituthene system with drain spout run off pipes, otherwise Mother Nature and science will eventually push water through those buried walls.

According to my discussion with the groundwater engineer, only 8% of residential homes in Wake County have basements. This means basements are not very common, and it also means the builders usually have no idea of how to properly install them in the first place!

Hope all goes well for your project.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:15 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio-Tech View Post
We recently bought a home where the previous homeowner decided to install a complete waterproofing system on the basement. During the Due Diligence period, I pushed heavily on the previous homeowner to disclose all engineering and inspection permits of this project...mostly because my last 3 homes had basements and I learned a few things, the hard way! He willingly gave me all the info which I have summarized below.

The waterproofing work included:
  • Directly connecting all downspouts to drainpipes
  • Pullback of earth to expose exterior basement wall
  • Application of BITUTHENE membrane Bituthene® System 4000 | Powerhouse Building Solutions
  • French drain installed at the base of the BITUTHENE membrane, 4-6 feet underground
  • 100% of drains connected together to single/primary pipe to divert water off property to prevent flooding of yard (yard has high concentration of clay, like most places in triangle region...which means water pools during heavy rain)
  • Regrading 6 feet perimeter of entire house to pitch 1-2% away from foundation
  • Total cost was $20,000 in 2010, which probably means a job like this in 2017 would cost around $24,000 when adjusting for inflation.

The company was Groundwater Management Associates:
2205 Candun Dr # A, Apex, NC 27523
(919) 363-6310
GMA - The Groundwater Experts
Since the system was installed, previous homeowner reported ZERO water ingress. So far I can confirm the system is still working perfectly....I carefully watched the basement during tropical storms and it has been dry as a desert despite rainfall rates of 2 inches per hour.

Shame on the original builder of this house for not putting this type of system in place during construction. The clay-based earth in the Triangle region really mandates a Bituthene system with drain spout run off pipes, otherwise Mother Nature and science will eventually push water through those buried walls.

According to my discussion with the groundwater engineer, only 8% of residential homes in Wake County have basements. This means basements are not very common, and it also means the builders usually have no idea of how to properly install them in the first place!

Hope all goes well for your project.
Thank you very much for sharing this information. The contractor we contacted would be doing exterior excavation, using spray-on Tuff-N-Dri on below-grade foundation walls, followed by Warm-N-Dri drainboard, rather than Bituthene. Perhaps I should do a bit more research about that. I couldn't find any indication on GMA's site that they do residential basement waterproofing, however? Still leaning towards downspout/regrading as a first line of defense--but I also don't want to waste money if it doesn't work; further, this won't address any foundation damage that might have happened. Our house is 100 years old, so I imagine that some kind of damage has probably happened? Yet, in one "old house" article, the author states that waterproofing the exterior of a brick foundation wall is one of the worst things you can do, since it won't allow the brick to "breathe." This whole process is perplexing, to say the least.

Last edited by OrganicSmallHome; 01-17-2017 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 05:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Yet, in one "old house" article, the author states that waterproofing the exterior of a brick foundation wall is one of the worst things you can do, since it won't allow the brick to "breathe." ".....one man's opinion....where are his facts to support the idea that bricks need to breathe ?

IMO, getting and keeping water away from the foundation is the key to a dry basement, My rule of thumb: if I want to keep water in, I'll protect/waterproof the inside. If I want to keep water out, I'll protect/waterproof the outside.

My house is old, and has had "water in the basement" problems since it was built in the 40's, because the grade was wrong. Somewhere along the line, gutters/downspouts were removed which exacerbated the situation. Since regrading the yard, no water in the basement, next step is gutters/downspouts combined with buried drain pipes to the down hill side of the house.

With no gutters, water cascades off the roof, right next to the foundation...it's only a matter of time before the soil becomes saturated during periods of heavy, prolonged rainfall...when that happens, hydrostatic pressure becomes the issue....and the water seeks the path of least resistence.

Hope you get the problem fixed

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Is the "breathing" issue/concern related to the sealing of brick foundation, or just to above grade brick exterior veneer siding or full brick construction?
I would be skeptical about the former and somewhat agreeable to the latter, particularly if there is inadequate drainage behind a brick veneer exterior.

Link to the article?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is the "breathing" issue/concern related to the sealing of brick foundation, or just to above grade brick exterior veneer siding or full brick construction?
I would be skeptical about the former and somewhat agreeable to the latter, particularly if there is inadequate drainage behind a brick veneer exterior.

Link to the article?
Hi. I found these interesting articles on bricks used in housebuilding:

Identifying Problems with Your Historic Brick Foundation | Wisconsin Historical Society

Wet Basement of an Old House | Old House Web

Here's the one on bricks needing to "breathe":

http://www.oldlouisville.com/circa19...structures.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary