Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Some that may have not been mentioned
1. Monuts in Durham
2. Remedy Diner in DT Raleigh
3. Tupelo (a chain now but it is Southern food at its best) - Cameron Village
4. Ban's cuisine (Vietnamese food their Veggie platter is to die for) in Durham
5. Super Taqueria for Authentic Tacos in Durham (shady neighborhood though)
6. Food truck scene - Pie Pushers, Kokyu BBQ
The Vietnamese place accross from SuperTaquaria is pretty good too. Zero ambiance (as it should be), but I've had good food there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:56 AM

97 posts, read 115,213 times
Having moved here from LI/NYC, I have to say I find the dining scene in this area to be fabulous. Such great variety. Yes, it isn't NYC, but it also isn't a hassle to get somewhere and prices are much more reasonable and the area population is a fraction of the size, so naturally there won't be the same number of places. I'm always amazed when I see people mention that it is all chains around here. Yes there are chains, but there are so many options beyond those chains. Anyway, just had to get that out.

Some of my favorite finds are:
The Eddy Pub
Busy Bee Cafe
Gonza
The Federal
Caps a Pizza (its a truck, but opening a storefront in Chapel Hill)
Driftwood Southern Kitchen
Acme
Mateo
Trophy Brewing
Calavera

I could keep going, but I will stop there. Enjoy!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:32 AM

14 posts, read 14,964 times
Some of my favorites are...

Soo's Cafe -- Capital Blvd, Raleigh -- Korean fried chicken, it is fabulous! And their spicy bugolgi is to scrumptious (and spicy).

Wicked Taco -- Western Blvd, Raleigh -- New taco joint, not a fancy restaurant but simple sit down taco place. They have some cool/tasty combinations. My favorite is the Juan in a Million: rotisserie chicken, queso, egg, bacon, and some slightly spicy sauce.

Sono -- Downtown Raleigh -- Japanese restaurant, they have some really good ramen! More fancy than other places (14/bowl for ramen, but be aware it is a LARGE filling bowl). Probably really good sushi, but I don't like sushi so never had.

S-Mart -- Near Cary Town Center, Cary -- an asian grocery but has a little cafeteria in there with good Korean food. They have all the little side dishes with their meals which is cool (Soo's does *not* so don't expect it there).

Kashin -- Crossroads, Cary -- small little Japanese restaurant in a strip mall, they have Shabushabu! It needs to be ordered a day in advance, but it's really good. About 24/person, so a little pricey depending on your price range, but a very fun and different experience. You can ask to sit in the asian style rooms with the floor tables (hole cut out under table for legs). Shabushabu is a hotpot on table in front of you and you add vegetables and meat to it that everyone shares. It's very tasty and fun.

Cloo's Coney Island -- Avent Ferry shopping center, Raleigh -- Someone called it a hotdog joint, which it is. But the sliders are fabulous!!!!!! They food *DOES* take longer than expected to arrive, so be forewarned. IMO it's so worth it though. The sliders are so darn delicious, the bun is lightly grilled on one side but rest still soft, cheese grilled into it, and perfectly envelops the patty... ugh I need some now.

Ruckus Bar -- Avent Ferry shopping center, Raleigh -- Just a personal thing. I really enjoy their pepperoni pizza here. It's a huge slice and satisfying, but I know pizza is full of vasty varying opinions *shrug*. It's cheap and tasty so good to me, but others may hate.

Mona Pita -- Capital Blvd, Raleigh -- Mediterranean food, just went here last weekend and thought they had good food. The pitas and hummus was great. I enjoyed the kafta a lot (although first time having so can't compare.) My mom said they had the best Turkish coffee she ever had.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM

420 posts, read 451,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
The Mason Jar Tavern in Holly Springs was just voted best new restaurant, very casual. Also Little Hen just down the road, but that's pricey.
Agree.
I heard Mason Jar is opening another location. Great casual lunch or dinner place.

LIttle Hen is a great farm to table place...we try to eat there once a month if we can. If you are a fan of homemade pastas, that is the owners specialty. We really love it. Pricey but worth it.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Jose and Sons yuca frita was a revelation. I was hesitant to try them, but I'm glad I did - they're very similar to garlic fries, but better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary