U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 AM

239 posts, read 1,042,283 times

Advertisements

We have had our house on the market (SW Durham) since Jan with a total of 4 showings, all had positive feedback and one came back. We dropped the price this past week, and although we aren't needing to sell right away but we would like to see more activity. Is this the norm for the area now? Everyone says it is picking up but we don't think it is.

We are meeting with our agent and I would love to hear any suggestions that we might make of how to get more activity. She did not do a real estate agent open house (I thought this might be helpful) or an open house. Everything is web-based MLS-with many photos and virtual tour, and in Homes and Lands etc.

Thanks for any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,212,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
We have had our house on the market (SW Durham) since Jan with a total of 4 showings, all had positive feedback and one came back. We dropped the price this past week, and although we aren't needing to sell right away but we would like to see more activity. Is this the norm for the area now? Everyone says it is picking up but we don't think it is.

We are meeting with our agent and I would love to hear any suggestions that we might make of how to get more activity. She did not do a real estate agent open house (I thought this might be helpful) or an open house. Everything is web-based MLS-with many photos and virtual tour, and in Homes and Lands etc.

Thanks for any insight.
Do you feel like your signage is good? Ask her if she thinks you need to hire a stager or professional to declutter? Ask her if she thinks you need to do any of those touch up projects you always see on HGTV. Has she been making calls to her contacts regarding your house (other agents in her office and other firms). What is she hearing about your price location etc from her fellow agents? Ask her point blank what she has done this past week to sale your house or get it seen. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for weekly updates of what she is doing to get your house sold.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM

673 posts, read 2,152,530 times
Quote:

Thanks for any insight.
I think 4 showings for January sounds pretty good!

Questions I have, what did you do to prepare your house for sale? Did you neutralize and declutter? Is your house clean? It doesn't have to be spotless, but the cleaner the better. The aroma of freshly baked break is okay; cooking odors from last night's fried chicken are not.

We were house hunting last August in advance of our move to the area in September. The first house we came to, I remember looking at the cobwebs on the front porch thinking, "I would have swept the cobwebs from the porch if I were selling this house." Inside the house, the fuschia wall that extended from the family room to the kitchen was a little overwhelming... Carpets were worn and dirty... I truly lost interest when I spotted cobwebs and spiderwebs in the master bathroom. And this was a house that was occupied at the time.

And speaking of aromas or cooking odors, another house we visited, the smell of pot pourri was so strong, I wondered what the homeowner was trying to cover up. I'm sure the seller thought the scent of pot pourri was inviting; for me it was a definite turn-off.

Having recently been on the buying side, neutral, decluttered and CLEAN make a world of difference. If you've done these things, sometimes it is just a matter of waiting for the right buyer at the right time to come along.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 AM

473 posts, read 1,656,033 times
Any showings right now is a good thing. The inventory is off the charts it seems. So many homes to see.. not enough time to do it and to be honest I can't imagine how one can really make a choice. There are so many gorgeous homes to see. (and ofcourse a few of the not so gorgeous) But overall, we just sort of increased our price range a bit to see what was there and its overwhelming. You can be VERY picky in this market in NC right now. Good luck to you.. I am for sale too and I really truly feel your pain.

L

Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,399,315 times
Quote:

Thanks for any insight.
If I read this right you are judging the entire market off of just your house by saying "Everyone says it is picking up but we don't think it is."

The New Year just started, there lots of homes on the market, you had four showings in a month and one return and you are complaining? Have you gotten constructive feedback as to why the four visitors did not buy? Was it the price? You say you do not need to sell right away yet you drop your price after 30 days? A price drop is usually a signal of a few things a) house was overpriced to begin with b) something is wrong with the house c) you are desperate to sell d) you don't/your agent does not know what you/they are doing. Is it any of those? The question you should ask your Realtor is "why did they not want our house?" If the answer varies it may not be anything you can do. If it's the same answer...make those changes. Not to offend....but have you ever thought that maybe it's your house and not the market? It's a question you should also be asking yourself and your Realtor.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:24 PM

934 posts, read 1,106,138 times
The fact you haven't had an open house does not necessarily mean anything. Many agents are of the belief that all it really does is invite nosey neighbors into your home!

Some truth to that.

IF you WANT an open house, your agent should certainly comply, but I don't think the mere fact that she/he doesn't routinely have them is a negative.

As a buyer- the virtual tours/ house websites/ techie stuff is what draws me in.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM

12,451 posts, read 30,237,370 times
One of the new agents in my office has nothing to do so she has been doing open houses for my listings the last few weeks.

She did Open Houses in Wake Forest, Cary, Holly Springs. She had one person come visit at each open house.

We used to get about 8 people to every open house. With the internet, not too many people even go to open houses and those that do...nosey neighbors and people that you don't even KNOW if they can qualify to buy or if they are just casing the joint!

Sellers think Open Houses will sell their house and the truth is that it only happens that way in maybe 1 out of 100!

Vicki

Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 PM

116 posts, read 452,363 times
4 showings since Jan is great, I think. We have a home on the market in Albuq. NM and have had 3 showings since last Nov. We've also had 5 or 6 open houses, and as a PP mentioned, the only ones to show up have been nosy neighbors.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,399,315 times
Open houses are usually not a great way to get your house sold. Too many people there and it can distract from other buyers as well as most of those people who show up are just looking for decorating tips, examples or wanting to "keep up with the Joneses" IMHO.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 4,626,732 times
I agree, I opted not to do an open house, the idea of complete strangers coming into my home, perhaps people without any financial qualifying, left me unsettled. I think broker open houses are a better choice, feedback from other brokers/sales agents would be welcoming.

I have taken my home off the market for now...I was frustrated and perhaps will re-list in April/May. I have been in touch with a very experienced realtor at FM Realty and he has advised that the market is flat right now...suggests I hold off until spring to see where the market is at. I feel the community will also be built out by then, so I will not have competition with new construction. I could list below what I paid for it in June 2007, but I am not planning on taking a loss...I am patient and will wait to see what happens. The idea of just taking a listing and having it "sit" would frustrate both of us, which I was in agreement with. I am not looking to make alot of money, I am in the house less than a year, but breaking even would be fine, just so I can move closer to RTP and out of Knightdale. I will need a new car by then too, my 06' sedan is racking up some serious mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
One of the new agents in my office has nothing to do so she has been doing open houses for my listings the last few weeks.

She did Open Houses in Wake Forest, Cary, Holly Springs. She had one person come visit at each open house.

We used to get about 8 people to every open house. With the internet, not too many people even go to open houses and those that do...nosey neighbors and people that you don't even KNOW if they can qualify to buy or if they are just casing the joint!

Sellers think Open Houses will sell their house and the truth is that it only happens that way in maybe 1 out of 100!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary