Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 AM

25 posts, read 25,953 times

Advertisements

We're still considering Raleigh and the area around there but my husband is kind of concerned about how much smoking is permitted in certain places. Again, it's not meant to be a flame war or anything here but right now we live in "non smoking" apartment and constantly people still smoke despite this being in the lease. It is very frustrating to specifically seek out a place that says "no smoking tolerated" yet people STILL feel they have the right to do what they want.

Is it difficult to find a non smoking apartment in the Raleigh area? Do restaurants and jobs have "smoking" still on the premises? With a child who has allergies, we have to find somewhere nonsmoking.

I surely do not want to work in an office or a place where the person next to me is allowed to sit at his or her desk and openly smoke. I guess that is intolerant of me but I have the right to ask the question...so...

Any info or respectful comments on the topic are very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 AM

360 posts, read 721,336 times
Smoking here is no different than anywhere else. Smoking in most public places is illegal here, especially indoors. Most employers have banned smoking on premises or relegated it to spots outdoors away from entrances, etc. In my nearly 12 years here I've never seen someone smoke at their desk. For that matter, I don't see much smoking at all. I'm not sure about apartments so I can't comment on that.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:02 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayitbe2016 View Post

I surely do not want to work in an office or a place where the person next to me is allowed to sit at his or her desk and openly smoke. I guess that is intolerant of me but I have the right to ask the question...so...
Is this acceptable anywhere in the US these days? In my entire working career I've never worked somewhere you can smoke at your desk. (I'm 41)

As for the apartment situation, best bet would be to buy or rent a house or townhouse if other's smoking in their own home is an issue. I'm not sure how else you would get away from that.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
I don't find it a problem here. I was worried about that too before I moved here but I haven't noticed any more smokers here than anywhere else in the country. People do smoke but it's outside........

Old 03-22-2016, 08:27 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
When I do smell smoke, it's noticeable. That's because I hardly ever smell cigarette smoke. Not an issue around these parts.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
There was a recent thread about this same question as well. Smoking is just not something you see much day to day unless you go where they hang out outside the building.

At bars and restaurants it's banned, even in many outside patios and it's just not like it was 30 years ago.

It's been 15 plus years since I've lived in an apartment so I can't speak to that, though we never had issues. That is going to be pretty specific to the complex and building though.

I saw way more smokers daily on a weeks vacation at a resort in Mexico than here.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 03-22-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Regarding apartments in general, YMMV.

It's one of those things that changes building to building, complex to complex, often correlated to management enforcing the rules.

Fortunately, you will find that many/most of the apartment complexes here open to the outdoors and not enclosed hallways, so you don't have smoke trapped in common areas the same way you do at apartments in colder climes.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 AM

25 posts, read 25,953 times
Thanks for the answers, everyone. I'm glad we can discuss this maturely. Sometimes people get so angry when you talk about it.

As for smoking@your desk, yes, I remember it...and at one job our common break room/lunchroom used to be full of smoke, but as a non smoke you had no choice but deal with it. This was in maybe 1989...1990?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Some apartment buildings are smoke free.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:56 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Some apartment buildings are smoke free.
I lived at Allister North Hills for a year and it was a smoke-free community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary