Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Durham is quickly becoming a suburb of Raleigh and it's OK with that.
Ha! That really makes no sense. You remind me of the people I've heard refer to Newark as a suburb of New York. I always wondered about those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Ha! That really makes no sense. You remind me of the people I've heard refer to Newark as a suburb of New York. I always wondered about those people.
If this is what you spend your time wondering about then maybe you have too much time on your hands.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:07 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The wiki page now has 2015's estimates....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tistical_Areas.

MSA Raleigh is currently ranked #44 in the nation. MSA Raleigh/Durham combined (1.826 million residents) would rank #37 slightly behind Nashville.
Wrong. I believe there is a Charlotte forum...

Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 AM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Durham is quickly becoming a suburb of Raleigh and it's OK with that.
LOL, I assume you must be trying to troll. Durham is in no way, shape or form a suburb. It is a city.

And regardless your post doesn't even make sense, Durham has been steadily growing stronger and getting more national acclaim, not losing itself.

But yes they are sister cities, and probably should be one metro area.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
Durham is not little brother to Raleigh. Stop with this crap. Both cities stand well on their own and both also make up the larger Triangle. Triangle cities should be supporting each other.
It was a simple analogy to try an explain why Durham officials intentionally pursued severing themselves from Raleigh. I would bet my life's savings that that wouldn't have happened if the metro was called Durham-Raleigh instead of vice versa. The reality is that Raleigh is much larger than Durham.

The two cities ought to support each other? I agree. What about my post would suggest otherwise? Frankly, there's no record of actual action to separate the two cities into different metros from Raleigh, only from Durham. Where was the regional support in that action?

Even on this forum, I almost never hear people from Raleigh/Wake saying anything about being a separate metro from Durham. From what I can tell, we (the east side of the Triangle) are all for the area being one metro. I am not so sure about that sentiment from the west side. If Durham doesn't want to be seen as a little brother, maybe it should stop acting like one.

On a side note and in response to some other posts lately, I agree that Durham is not a suburb of Raleigh. That's a stupid comment. Raleigh and Durham in particular are both centers of a multi-node metro area and their combined success relies on that understanding and how both contribute to the overall health and success of the Triangle.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:01 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
So I've read people vehemently say why the metros shouldn't be separated. Which then naturally makes me want to ask, then why are they separated? Is that a mystery or is it the commuting patterns?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think it makes sense for it to be the way it is currently. I'm in Chapel Hill and I see Durham and Chapel Hill as being linked but not Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think it makes sense for it to be the way it is currently. I'm in Chapel Hill and I see Durham and Chapel Hill as being linked but not Chapel Hill and Raleigh.
I can certainly understand your point of view but to ignore that Durham has a physical proximity to its east as well as to its west is shortsighted and narrow.

In the end, I think this will resolve itself in due time with the west Cary and south Durham areas converging in Chatham County and NW Raleigh and SE Durham areas converging along US70.

The model for the Triangle is already in place in areas such as South Florida with a singular MSA that's further delineated by metropolitan divisions of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. This allows individual city identity while collectively reporting the overall metro.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 94,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I can certainly understand your point of view but to ignore that Durham has a physical proximity to its east as well as to its west is shortsighted and narrow.

In the end, I think this will resolve itself in due time with the west Cary and south Durham areas converging in Chatham County and NW Raleigh and SE Durham areas converging along US70.

The model for the Triangle is already in place in areas such as South Florida with a singular MSA that's further delineated by metropolitan divisions of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. This allows individual city identity while collectively reporting the overall metro.

Ahh. So your hope is that the entire area becomes one big ole metro all under Raleigh. Let me guess. The combined metro would be called the "Raleigh Metropolitan area" or perhaps "Greater Raleigh". Am I right?

I think the western triangle is unique and doesn't need to be de-emphasized (nationally) just for the sake of one city's ego. Durham has thrived since being given a separate metro. The Durham and Raleigh metro areas should remain separate.

The CSA accomplishes what you desire but it doesn't have the name you want I guess.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:01 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Durham would easily meet the criteria to be included in the name of a combined MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary