Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,626 times

Advertisements

We purchased a home recently and found that the green lawn was actually all short cut weeds. We are going to need to kill off the weeds, till it, do soil corrections, and eventually seed. There is some shade and it is not all sun for 9+ hours a day. We get about 6 hours. The backyard has a slope to it. It is not drastic, but not gradual either.

I am looking for the best grass type that will allow me to seed and build a new lawn. Sod is out of the question because it would be about 15-20 pallets. Garbage fescue would run about $4,000 just for the sod. High quality, elite seed can be had for a fraction of the cost.

I am leaning towards the following. We will not have an irrigation system.

1. Kentucky Blue Grass/Rye mix
2. KBG/Rye/Fescue mix
3. Centipede
4. Bermuda (some concern whether there would be enough sun)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:55 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Fescue, unfortunately.
You don't have enough sun for warm season grasses to thrive.
Kentucky Bluegrass will work you nearly to death and then die.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,964 times
A high end fescue would grow well with that much sun, but you may need to occasionally water it and of course overseed it in the fall the replenish it from the july/august heat.

I take it you are on a large lot? The hardest part of growing new grass from seeds is the water regimen. It needs to be watered correctly for the first month, or else it will just be a waste of money and time.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:19 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,793 times
Without an irrigation system, wait until October to seed fescue. I have fescue and today it looks awesome, in August it will look terrible, and I have irrigation.

I'm planning on ripping my fescue out and replacing it with TifTuf Bermudagrass.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,626 times
For the area, our lot is average size (~0.25 acres). However, we have an open area flowing down farther with a drain wash way on one side and woods at the back and other side. From my property line to the end of this open area is about 60 additional feet ~6,000 sf. The neighbors can't really access it. The community does not maintain it as part of "common space". Therefore, if I do not maintain it, no one will. I am submitting paperwork to take ownership of it because it is stupid not to be my property. It may take a little bit of bantering and changing property lines with the city.

I am not seeding until early Fall or Spring next year.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedNole View Post
We purchased a home recently and found that the green lawn was actually all short cut weeds. We are going to need to kill off the weeds, till it, do soil corrections, and eventually seed. There is some shade and it is not all sun for 9+ hours a day. We get about 6 hours. The backyard has a slope to it. It is not drastic, but not gradual either.

I am looking for the best grass type that will allow me to seed and build a new lawn. Sod is out of the question because it would be about 15-20 pallets. Garbage fescue would run about $4,000 just for the sod. High quality, elite seed can be had for a fraction of the cost.

2. KBG/Rye/Fescue mix
3. Centipede
We like the short cut weeds and wire grass. Low maintenance is the only way to go

Old 03-25-2016, 08:33 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:

2. KBG/Rye/Fescue mix
3. Centipede
First I think you need to rethink just tilling the lawn. You need dirt, good dirt, as most of the "topsoil" left over after builders get done is clay. You need a solid 3"-4" of top soil to support any decent root growth.
  1. KBG will die quickly in the summer heat. Faster than fescue. By far.
  2. RYE?!??! LOLOLOL Sorry. OK, when the temp hits 80* rye is gone. I mean, completely.
  3. Centipede is a great lazy man's warm season grass. It's candy apple green (bright green) and in general looks low-rent. In addition, in order to seed it, it takes roughly 3 years to grow in completely because it's a SLOW growing grass.
  4. Bermuda. Seeded Bermuda looks fairly low-rent as well. The benefit is you can overseed with fescue in the fall and have a decent looking yard for half the year.
Personally out of all your requirements (seeded, not that expensive, etc.) your absolute best bet is a combo of several grass.
  1. K31. Yes, it's "builders' grade" fescue. Cheap. Wide blades. But it's hearty. Will survive the summer heat in most areas.
  2. Generic turf type tall fescue (TTTF). Don't spend a fortune. It will fill in and look great while it's cooler out.
  3. HD/Lowes seeded Bermuda. Doesn't look great but it grows like crazy and easily fills in the weaker fescue areas. It will hold the weeds back.
  4. When your lawn grows in, set your mower to the highest setting over the summer. In the fall, gradually lower it to a halfway point to avoid mildew build up.
That is what I did. Here's spreading the dirt around and also my yard today.
Attached Thumbnails
Grass Types for new lawn-20160325_090326.jpg   Grass Types for new lawn-20150916_092832.jpg   Grass Types for new lawn-20150917_141113.jpg  

Old 03-26-2016, 12:14 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,428 times
Turfgrass Selection - TurfFiles

Old 03-27-2016, 03:33 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
First I think you need to rethink just tilling the lawn. You need dirt, good dirt, as most of the "topsoil" left over after builders get done is clay. You need a solid 3"-4" of top soil to support any decent root growth.
  1. KBG will die quickly in the summer heat. Faster than fescue. By far.
  2. RYE?!??! LOLOLOL Sorry. OK, when the temp hits 80* rye is gone. I mean, completely.
  3. Centipede is a great lazy man's warm season grass. It's candy apple green (bright green) and in general looks low-rent. In addition, in order to seed it, it takes roughly 3 years to grow in completely because it's a SLOW growing grass.
  4. Bermuda. Seeded Bermuda looks fairly low-rent as well. The benefit is you can overseed with fescue in the fall and have a decent looking yard for half the year.
Personally out of all your requirements (seeded, not that expensive, etc.) your absolute best bet is a combo of several grass.
  1. K31. Yes, it's "builders' grade" fescue. Cheap. Wide blades. But it's hearty. Will survive the summer heat in most areas.
  2. Generic turf type tall fescue (TTTF). Don't spend a fortune. It will fill in and look great while it's cooler out.
  3. HD/Lowes seeded Bermuda. Doesn't look great but it grows like crazy and easily fills in the weaker fescue areas. It will hold the weeds back.
  4. When your lawn grows in, set your mower to the highest setting over the summer. In the fall, gradually lower it to a halfway point to avoid mildew build up.
That is what I did. Here's spreading the dirt around and also my yard today.

Your lawn looks great. Being from up North it has been a shock to have a sandy brown lawn well into late Spring and from Halloween on. I do like the look of the sodded Bermuda my builder had installed but I do employ a service for pre emergent and fertilization nearly year round. My lawn is green probably around half the year.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:41 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
I am looking for the best grass type that will allow me to seed and build a new lawn.
You need to decide when you want green grass and when you want brown.

Fescue = green in early spring, fall and winter. Goes dormant (brown) in summer. Needs 1" of water per week and reseeding the bare spots in the fall.

Bermuda, Centipede, etc = brown in winter and early spring. Does better with summer heat, but that is also when you have to mow it.

I love Fescue at this time of year. It looks fantastic when the azaleas and dogwoods are blooming. However, after having reseeded, watered, etc for 30+ years, I decided to switch to a warm season grass.

Be sure to read Carolina Lawns, posted earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary