Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
When I've lived in a foreign country, the last thing I looked for was "diversity" or people from my own country. What's the point of experiencing a new culture if all you're looking for is a way to avoid it or to find and live among people of your own culture? If you move to North Carolina, you should be looking to learn about North Carolina's culture and make friends with native folks. If not, then what's the point of even being here?
That's an unfair criticism I feel - you're going to be experiencing a same culture either way. But living with people similar to you makes the transition easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't think it's an unfair criticism. It reads like that's OrganicSmallHome's life experience. She says "WHEN I've lived in a foreign country" not "IF I lived in a foreign country." Your experience may be different, but you can't say her life experience is an unfair criticism.

FWIW, I have not lived in another country, but if I lived in an english speaking one like the UK or Australia or New Zealand I don't think I'd be too worried about hanging out with Americans. If I was in a country where I didn't speak the language as fluently then I could see that would be comforting.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-01-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
FWIW, I have not lived in another country, but if I lived in an english speaking on like the UK or Australia or New Zealand I don't think I'd be too worried about hanging out with Americans. If I was in a country where I didn't speak the language as fluently then I could see that would be comforting.
Yeah I'm an American that used to live in Australia, and hanging out with my own was definitely not a priority.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:54 PM

23 posts, read 20,290 times
As per my original post, I did not ask the question because I particularly wanted to move to an expat community, just purely out of curiosity.

That said some people move to different areas for different reasons and may not be interested in learning about local culture. People have other 'points', sometimes it's not a choice or people make sacrifices so I understand if such communities existed. Each to their own.

I also appreciate why people would want to hang out with people from their own country, whilst we speak the same language there are definite cultural differences and you have a significant thing (moving round the world and possibly being home sick) immediately in common, again each to their own.

I am planning to embrace and enjoy local for as long as I am here but it would be lovely to bump in to some Brits along the way.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:56 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't think it's an unfair criticism. It reads like that's OrganicSmallHome's life experience. She says "WHEN I've lived in a foreign country" not "IF I lived in a foreign country." Your experience may be different, but you can't say her life experience is an unfair criticism.

FWIW, I have not lived in another country, but if I lived in an english speaking one like the UK or Australia or New Zealand I don't think I'd be too worried about hanging out with Americans. If I was in a country where I didn't speak the language as fluently then I could see that would be comforting.
America is unique in that it is a cultural melting pot with many diverse groups living here so it's easy for us to move elsewhere and not demand to live with other Americans. I don't know about the UK or Australia or New Zealand but many other countries are not like this - that's why ethnicities tend to group up in certain areas of cities (Chinatown for example)

Old 04-02-2016, 01:08 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_Mc View Post
As per my original post, I did not ask the question because I particularly wanted to move to an expat community, just purely out of curiosity.

That said some people move to different areas for different reasons and may not be interested in learning about local culture. People have other 'points', sometimes it's not a choice or people make sacrifices so I understand if such communities existed. Each to their own.

I also appreciate why people would want to hang out with people from their own country, whilst we speak the same language there are definite cultural differences and you have a significant thing (moving round the world and possibly being home sick) immediately in common, again each to their own.

I am planning to embrace and enjoy local for as long as I am here but it would be lovely to bump in to some Brits along the way.
It is rude to move to another culture and "not be interested in learning about" it. If that's the case, then such people should stay home.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:13 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCB View Post
Also thats why i moved here to this area in Morrisville. I can walk to get my Ruby Murray, cooked Brekkie, Fish and Chips, Dry Blackthorn and Stella and watch the Footie on the custard just up the Frog and Toad. Dont need a Jam Jar round here.
Please - Where is this magical place and what is it called?

Old 04-02-2016, 06:06 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
It is rude to move to another culture and "not be interested in learning about" it. If that's the case, then such people should stay home.
The op ed did not say that. I struggle with the lack of culture in this area. There are bits but nothing like you find in the UK or other countries. There is no harm in asking if there are other Brits around.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 4,986 times
I think it's pretty normal when you move somewhere to look to see whether there are people already living there who share your nationality. It's not like the OP was saying she didn't want to mix with the locals too.

I'm British and have lived here for a 4 years. I've bumped into lots of Brits around Cary, Apex and Morrisville, not so much Raleigh perhaps.

I've found a mixed-bag with the Brits here. Some are really lovely but a few others have an attitude that looks down upon the country they left behind or indeed even the country they're now living in. I much prefer the lovely ones.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:11 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave Cary View Post
I think it's pretty normal when you move somewhere to look to see whether there are people already living there who share your nationality. It's not like the OP was saying she didn't want to mix with the locals too.

I'm British and have lived here for a 4 years. I've bumped into lots of Brits around Cary, Apex and Morrisville, not so much Raleigh perhaps.

I've found a mixed-bag with the Brits here. Some are really lovely but a few others have an attitude that looks down upon the country they left behind or indeed even the country they're now living in. I much prefer the lovely ones.
My English husband has been in the US for five years now. He loves it here. He integrates with people better than I do here. I have to admit, everyone loves his accent so people start conversations with him a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary