Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM

236 posts, read 186,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshinokaze View Post
As a side note, I'm sick of people treating houses like a stock market investment. I'll paint my mailbox dayglow orange if I please.
So you wrote a cash check for your home and didn't borrow anything to get in?
Or do you really mean "I'll paint the bank's mailbox (for the next 15-20 years) dayglow orange if I please"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloki View Post
I would prefer that the covenants be gone, too but I would consider that after reading the documents and determining if the covenants are reasonable in my opinion. No junk cars or chain link fence in the front yard I could deal with. Getting permission to plant flowers in my front yard, etc. - no.
I cannot recall ever living anywhere that someone tried to tell me not to plant flowers in my front yard. What sort of crazy people did you live near before?

I have always lived in HOA neighborhoods, with a couple of brief exceptions, and nobody ever cared what flowers we planted. They might care if we suddenly decided to plant an invasive species in the back yard (bamboo, anyone?), but really, that's just common sense.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
This is good info, I'm looking at buying my first house (as a single person) in about a year, and like OP I want nothing to do with an HOA. Going to build a shop building, a fire pit, a big deck, a big garden, and probably buy a fixer-upper and do a lot of work myself. (I should add that it will all be permitted work, my dad was a homebuilder and remodeler for many years, so I learned from the best).

As a side note, I'm sick of people treating houses like a stock market investment. I'll paint my mailbox dayglow orange if I please.
And... funny enough, I've seen homes in HOA neighborhoods with ALL the things you describe.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I cannot recall ever living anywhere that someone tried to tell me not to plant flowers in my front yard. What sort of crazy people did you live near before?

I have always lived in HOA neighborhoods, with a couple of brief exceptions, and nobody ever cared what flowers we planted. They might care if we suddenly decided to plant an invasive species in the back yard (bamboo, anyone?), but really, that's just common sense.
Actually, in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, restrictions on flowers are not a rare provision in the HOA rules. The reason is specific: The community is entirely landscaped with desert landscaping, and planting pansies would certainly look out of place. In those communities, if you want flowers, you plant a flowering cactus.

Other than those really specific, particular areas, I've not seen that many restrictions in HOA documents either. And I've lived in four of them, and openly admit that I would not be likely to buy a house that is NOT in an HOA.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
FYI, some older neighborhoods have voluntary HOAs whose intentions are social and political (e.g. influencing the city on rezoning and transportation issues). I live in such a neighborhood. Dues are only $20 per year, and the only consequence for not joining is no admission to certain events. There are restrictive covenants in this neighborhood, but the HOA is not the enforcer.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, that's not a rare provision in the HOA rules. The reason is specific: The community is entirely landscaped with desert landscaping, and planting pansies would certainly look out of place. In those communities, if you want flowers, you plant a flowering cactus.

Other than those really specific, particular areas, I've not seen that many restrictions in HOA documents either. And I've lived in four of them, and openly admit that I would not be likely to buy a house that is NOT in an HOA.
I overheard from a superintendent in Bella Casa that they made a couple of people remove banana palms from the front yard.
Flowers, not so much, but trees are sometimes strictly regulated.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I overheard from a superintendent in Bella Casa that they made a couple of people remove banana palms from the front yard.
Flowers, not so much, but trees are sometimes strictly regulated.
Agreed - especially when garden maintenance is included in the HOA fee (like we have here at Regency in BCCC, and what exists at Del Webb properties). For example, we are not allowed to plant weeping willows.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:32 AM

79 posts, read 94,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloki View Post
Seriously, I'm expected to hand over half a million dollars for a house and I can't have the mailbox I want. Or a fence. Or have my kids or elderly parents live with us because they have cars? No thanks. I am a reasonable person and plan to have a well maintained, tasteful house. But it will be my idea of tasteful.
Yep absolutely. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM

31 posts, read 31,190 times
Quote:

I have read probably close to a hundred HOA documents in the past few months and I have read the requirement for "permission to plant flowers, flower boxes or trees" numerous times. Of to remove a tree, even it was diseased and in danger of falling without permission. I have read that you are not allowed to back your car into the driveway. But my favorite may the the one that had to approve your patio or deck furniture even if you backed to the woods and no neighbors could see said furniture. And if you don't comply, $50 - $100 a day fine which if you don't pay, a lien will be placed on your home.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM

31 posts, read 31,190 times
Quote:
Yep absolutely. Good luck in your search!
Same to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary