Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times

Advertisements

Forbes Welcome

San Francisco, Calif. - In Photos: Best Cities For Young Professionals 2016 - Forbes

1. San Fran
2. Silicon Valley
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Dallas
5. Austin & Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Another reason for more people to move here! But I agree, I'm a young professional and I love it in Raleigh. Moderate COL, good local job economy, a decent Downtown, 4 seasons, etc.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Forbes Welcome

San Francisco, Calif. - In Photos: Best Cities For Young Professionals 2016 - Forbes

1. San Fran
2. Silicon Valley
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Dallas
5. Austin & Seattle
Agreed - I'm happy here in Raleigh. It doesn't have the feel of a San Francisco or Austin (yet) but I've made plenty of friends here my age and there's a lot happening to keep me busy/entertained so no complaints.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM

66 posts, read 56,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
1. San Fran
2. Silicon Valley
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Dallas
5. Austin & Seattle
I find it hard to take seriously an article written by anyone that thinks "Silicon Valley" is a city.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:27 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Agreed - I'm happy here in Raleigh. It doesn't have the feel of a San Francisco or Austin (yet) but I've made plenty of friends here my age and there's a lot happening to keep me busy/entertained so no complaints.
I do think people need to be careful grouping Raleigh together with Austin. The only things they really have in common are its tech scene, its Google Fiber presence, and both cities are constantly on the "Top 10 for ____" lists.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I get the feeling Raleigh is one of those places people move to and end up disappointed...because they bought into the incredible hype that places like Forbes give us. They expect it to be another Austin, and while Raleigh is a cool city, it's a little different than that. I actually moved to Raleigh sight unseen (with job offer in hand) but I managed my expectations, and I've been happy here.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do think people need to be careful grouping Raleigh together with Austin. The only things they really have in common are its tech scene, its Google Fiber presence, and both cities are constantly on the "Top 10 for ____" lists.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I get the feeling Raleigh is one of those places people move to and end up disappointed...because they bought into the incredible hype that places like Forbes give us. They expect it to be another Austin, and while Raleigh is a cool city, it's a little different than that. I actually moved to Raleigh sight unseen (with job offer in hand) but I managed my expectations, and I've been happy here.
Saw this article a few months back: Raleigh is the Portland of Austin

Old 03-31-2016, 09:35 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
NC unlike CA has a very conservative legislative agenda which is starting affect the business community.

"The Bank of America based in Charlotte, N.C. and with 15,000 employees in the state, has now joined forces with the Human Rights Campaign and dozens of big tech companies to challenge the state’s governor and legislature for passing a bill widely viewed as discriminatory against the LGBT community."

Old 03-31-2016, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 2,270 times
I think they mean for the job prospects. I dont think they mean for anything else. Its Forbes after all.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:46 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Another reason for more people to move here!
Wolverines!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
NC unlike CA has a very conservative legislative agenda which is starting affect the business community.

"The Bank of America based in Charlotte, N.C. and with 15,000 employees in the state, has now joined forces with the Human Rights Campaign and dozens of big tech companies to challenge the state’s governor and legislature for passing a bill widely viewed as discriminatory against the LGBT community."
NC unlike CA is very affordable to live in for young professionals starting off a career.

Both states have trade offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary