Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh.
Another big small town but more urban than Raleigh, and a great history and pro sports scene.
Universities.
Medical care.
Transportation.

Absolutely hate the climate, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:34 AM

352 posts, read 550,623 times
One of the reasons I'm curious is because there may be reasons that I have to keep my relocation targets north of Raleigh. I'm looking for places that offer similar positives of Raleigh. I've been researching a bunch of options. Mike mentioned Pittsburgh, and it seems to have alot of the pros of RDU. Tech companies (Google, Facebook, etc), eds and meds, friendly people, low COL, mid sized metro. Someone else mentioned Philly area. I think Philly suburbs might work.. tech companies, safety in suburbs, has four seasons but unlike Pittsburgh isn't gloomy/overcast for long sections of the year.. also has the benefits of an exciting city nearby that seems to be on the way up, mass transit like light and commuter rail, easy drives to NYC, DC, 1.5h from beach, close to mountains, relatively low COL compared to other NE cities. My hometown is Hampton Roads/Va Beach.. I like my hometown, but it's basically a giant military base so the job market is extremely limited for white collar and tech professionals. I also really like Richmond alot, but it may be too small job market wise. In some ways Philly seems like Richmond's MUCH bigger northern brother.

What do you guys think of Philly suburbs offering similar positives as the Raleigh area?

Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Pittsburgh.
Another big small town but more urban than Raleigh, and a great history and pro sports scene.
Universities.
Medical care.
Transportation.

Absolutely hate the climate, though.
I think Pittsburgh would be a great city to move to minus the weather.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
The Rochester, NY area if the local economy was doing well. Still considering a cabin somewhere in the Adirondacks as a summer home.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:31 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The philly area is so different from Raleigh. Philly is old, steeped in history, while Raleigh is all new with at least half of the people being recent transplants. I love them both, but for different reasons.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
We almost moved to Chester or Bucks County before we moved here. We moved here because some family had relocated. Good location in the eastern seaboard close to NYC and DC and it's just a nice area.
Second would be NoVA as I love DC. But pricey and traffic is a beast.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:56 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Burlington (VT), Boston, Montclair (NJ), Red Bank (NJ), maybe Providence but I need to check it out (and I will), area of DC near the zoo.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:57 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Burlington (VT), Boston, Montclair (NJ), Red Bank (NJ), maybe Providence but I need to check it out (and I will), area of DC near the zoo.
Boston, indeed. If they fix the weather and I learn how to print money.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 AM

398 posts, read 497,881 times
Definitely Washington, DC. Still a bit southern, tons to do, public transit.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
.. and what would be your reasons for picking that area?
Ashland, Oregon - virtually no snow, no rain from May-Oct, no humidity, warm to hot Summers, no bugs, upscale, very cute town, Shakespeare Festival all Summer, 5 hrs to SFO, just off RT. 5and it has it's own ski mountain 6K feet above the town 7 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary