Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:25 PM

353 posts, read 458,474 times

Advertisements

I was using an RCA antenna with an amplifier and I was able to get the locals in (4, 5, 11, 17, 22, 28, 40 and 50). 17 (WNCN) reception was very spotty and was the channel that I struggled to get in most of the time. I had to build a tower of cardboard boxes and attach my antenna to it in order to get all these channels to come in reliably. I live in a first-floor apartment in Durham near Southpoint and for some reason most of the channels just did not come in otherwise, no matter what I did.

In an effort to ditch what I dubbed the "tower of shame" and get better reception, I got the Mohu Leaf hoping I would get more channels in. I was only able to additionally get channel 24 which seems to be pretty much religious TV. The weird thing is I don't get in WRAL, but I get WRAZ in just fine. Sometimes WRAL works but it's inconsistent at best. I thought they broadcast off the same tower. The other locals I watch, 11, 17, 22, 28, and 40 come in fine.

I plan to get a Roku with SlingTv after I get a new TV. I really wish they had some way to pay an extra 5 bucks a month for the local channels. I'm tired of fiddling with antennas. It's better than I what I had before but for 70 dollars I was hoping I would be able to get all the locals in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Does anyone have a roof-top or attic antenna? I already know I can't get a decent signal with the Mohu Leaf and similar small antennas (too many trees and I think bad geography). Anyhow, if I ever do drop cable TV, I'd have to get a big antenna and am curious if you can get all the network channels reliably and without hassle.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Does anyone have a roof-top or attic antenna? I already know I can't get a decent signal with the Mohu Leaf and similar small antennas (too many trees and I think bad geography). Anyhow, if I ever do drop cable TV, I'd have to get a big antenna and am curious if you can get all the network channels reliably and without hassle.
I switched from a amplified indoor antenna (rabbit ear type) to a roof-top one and couldn't be happier. I don't have any problem getting all the local stations, and keeping the signal. I'm also pretty far from major networks stations (35 miles).

Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM

307 posts, read 377,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
I was using an RCA antenna with an amplifier and I was able to get the locals in (4, 5, 11, 17, 22, 28, 40 and 50). 17 (WNCN) reception was very spotty and was the channel that I struggled to get in most of the time. I had to build a tower of cardboard boxes and attach my antenna to it in order to get all these channels to come in reliably. I live in a first-floor apartment in Durham near Southpoint and for some reason most of the channels just did not come in otherwise, no matter what I did.

In an effort to ditch what I dubbed the "tower of shame" and get better reception, I got the Mohu Leaf hoping I would get more channels in. I was only able to additionally get channel 24 which seems to be pretty much religious TV. The weird thing is I don't get in WRAL, but I get WRAZ in just fine. Sometimes WRAL works but it's inconsistent at best. I thought they broadcast off the same tower. The other locals I watch, 11, 17, 22, 28, and 40 come in fine.

I plan to get a Roku with SlingTv after I get a new TV. I really wish they had some way to pay an extra 5 bucks a month for the local channels. I'm tired of fiddling with antennas. It's better than I what I had before but for 70 dollars I was hoping I would be able to get all the locals in.
Super weird. I am about 4 miles from Southpoint and have issues with basically the opposite channels from you. 11 gives me the most problems by far, I can rarely get it to come in. 17 comes in but breaks up a bit. Everything else is crystal clear all the time.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
My husband used antennaweb.org to determine the best type of antenna we needed for our local stations. Then with the information he ordered the antenna through the local Best Buy since the type needed was not locally carried. Might check it out.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 AM

259 posts, read 243,196 times
I went with through three devices(including Mohu) before finally succeeding with the ClearStream Eclipse Indoor Antenna. Only the ClearStream was able to reliably pull PBS(CH 4) which is what I really wanted. I'm located in the Longview area in East Raleigh

I could have saved myself some money if I had read the article below from wirecutter.

The Best Indoor HDTV Antenna | The Wirecutter

Last edited by muvonga; 04-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: added my location

Old 04-20-2016, 11:46 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I switched from a amplified indoor antenna (rabbit ear type) to a roof-top one and couldn't be happier. I don't have any problem getting all the local stations, and keeping the signal. I'm also pretty far from major networks stations (35 miles).
Good to know! Dumb question - is it in a fixed position, or does it rotate to get all the channels? Do you have very tall trees around your house? Trees tower over my house, so I'm wondering if they would interfere with the reception for a roof top antenna. I could definitely see going that route with an OTA DVR someday, if it will work.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
I could have saved myself some money if I had read the article below from wirecutter.

The Best Indoor HDTV Antenna | The Wirecutter
I've got the HD Frequency Cable Cutter Mini that is featured a bit more than halfway down the page, and it's worked out quite well for me.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Good to know! Dumb question - is it in a fixed position, or does it rotate to get all the channels? Do you have very tall trees around your house? Trees tower over my house, so I'm wondering if they would interfere with the reception for a roof top antenna. I could definitely see going that route with an OTA DVR someday, if it will work.
It is in a fixed position. I used antennaweb.org to find the direction to point it in to get the most channels and then just used a compass to aim it at that. WTVD 11.1 ABC, WRAL 5.1 NBC, WRAZ 50.1 FOX, WNCN 17.1 CBS, and WLFL 22.1 CW are all in the same direction/location. The only other channel I actually cared about getting is WUNC 4.1 PBS, and since that's so much closer to me (only 12 miles away) I still get that too even though the antenna is pointed at all of the others.

I have a ton of tall trees around my house, but the antenna is pretty high off the ground. It's a one story house, and the pole coming off the roof mount is probably 4-5 feet high. If your house is two or more stories I would think you'd have no issues.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM

80 posts, read 79,596 times
I'm in Clayton and use a Mohu Leaf 50. I get stations 4, 5, 11, 17, 22, 28, 30, and 50. So, assuming 3 channels for each station that's 27 channels. Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary